I read on emedicine that the treatment of Lupus Erythematosus is mainly symptomatic. What does that mean? Does that refer to pain relief and the like? Does it mean that nothing can be done to stop Lupus Erythematosus? Or are there some possibilities for slowing down its development that fall into the category of symptomatic treatment?

Hi, I see that your post is about a month old so hopefully you've been able to learn more about your question since then.  I was diag. with Lupus 8 years ago and was very confused by the broadness of the disease.  It's very scary not knowing what organ could be affected next, if any. Lupus is specific to any organ, joints or even the skin. So, it's treated based on what organ is being affected at that time.  That's why it's important to stay on top of your doctor appts because you could have problems that don't show symptoms. You would be medically treated for that specific problem at the time whether it be pain meds, long term Prednisone use, hospitalization or even just bed rest. On a side note, if you or someone you know has SLE, please look into a Gluten free diet for atleast 2 to 3 weeks, no WHEAT, OATS, WHEAT FLOUR or BARLEY (beer), it saved my life. My doctor said either I'm in remission or I never had SLE and that maybe it was just Celiac Disease (allergy to Gluten) and am due to take blook tests to confirm.  I just know that I was in stage 3 kidney disease and now I'm fine and feel normal. Good luck to you and never stop looking for answers and always trust your instincts.