Hi everyone, I have diabetes type 2 for almost 4 years now. I've been doing a little reading on hyperglycemic hyperosmolar nonketotic syndrome and was wondering what the lab values are for sugar levels, pH levels, ketone levels, serum osmolarity levels, bicarbonate and creatine levels. Does anyone have this information or know where I could find this information. I recently had a test done and this information is listed but it doesn't tell me what normal/abnormal values would be. I'm sure I'm okay but my doctor likes to run tests and tests for everything. You Know! If anyone can help me out with this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks bunches.

HELLOOOO, My goodness such a long list. No problem! I've had these tests run as well and I had the doctor explain it to me and it's not so bad once you know like everything else. Okay, let's see. A little bit about abbreviations, DKA stands for diabetic ketoacidosis which is not what this is about but thought you might like to know. Hyperglycemic hyperosmolar nonkeototic syndrome is abbreviated by HHNS. You'll see these things on your report. Blood glucose levels for HHNS usually are greater than 600mg/dl (milligrams per deciliter) which also means greater than 33.3 mmol/L (millimolar per liter). Blood pH levels for HHNS are supposed normal. In DKA, blood pH levels are below 7.3 (ouch, acidosis). Blood and urine levels of ketones for HHNS are absent. Blood osmolarity for HHNS is greater than 350 mOsm/L (milliosmoles per liter). Blood bicarbonate level for HHNS is listed as normal. Creatine levels in HHNS are listed as elevated. All you need to do is take a look at your report and compare your numbers to what is listed above to determine whether you have hyperglycemic hyperosmolar nonkeototic syndrome. I surely hope you don't. So far, I've been in the clear so that makes me happy. I hope this helped you in some way.