Hi! I am 30 years old man. I have healthy lifestyle. M creatinine level is slightly elevated. My doctor told that there isn’t reason for worry. But, I want to know more about creatinine. What is creatinine? Why is it important to check blood creatinine levels? What are "normal" blood creatinine levels?

Hi! Don’t worry! Muscular young or middle-aged adults may have more creatinine in their blood than the norm for the general population. Creatinine is a chemical waste molecule that is generated from muscle metabolism. Creatinine is produced from creatine, a molecule of major importance for energy production in muscles. Creatinine has been found to be a fairly reliable indicator of kidney function. As the kidneys become impaired the creatinine level in the blood will rise. Abnormally high levels of creatinine thus warn of possible malfunction or failure of the kidneys. Normal levels of creatinine in the blood are approximately 0.6 to 1.2 milligrams (mg) per deciliter (dl) in adult males and 0.5 to 1.1 milligrams per deciliter in adult females. I hope that you are satisfied with information.