During my routine blood and urine check my physician discovered a disorder called Gilbert’s syndrome. This is basically the only thing he told me. No therapy, no advice on what to do, no additional tests... Nothing! I’m very surprised. Is it really possible that I have something that is called Gilbert’s syndrome and that at the same time nothing needs to be done? What is this Gilbert’s syndrome, anyway?

Gilbert’s syndrome (named after a French gastroenterologist) is a condition caused by certain changes in your liver, but it is not a disease. It is completely harmless and most of those who suffer from it don’t even know it because there are no symptoms and they discover the presence of Gilbert’s syndrome accidentally, just like you. Some people have mild jaundice as a symptom and they have a check - this is another way to discover the existence of Gilbert’s syndrome. This condition is inherited and is one of the commonest syndromes. The lack of a particular enzyme called bilirubin-uridine glucuronosyltransferase (bilirubin-UGT) causes certain changes in the way your liver works. Haemoglobin in your organism creates bilirubin (among other substances), and UGT should enable the conjugation of bilirubin to certain proteins and thus the successful excretion of it in your bile (from your blood). If there is not enough UGT bilirubin remains in your blood. And that is it. Your liver still works normally, no need to panic, no need to have additional checks and tests. The greater amount of bilirubin in the blood can cause a mild jaundice and nothing else. You can trust your doctor - you don’t need a therapy for this problem.