Hi, few days ago I went to see my doctor for a usual check up. He measured my blood pressure and ordered standard blood and urine analysis. When the results came in, my doctor was very worried. He told me that I have elevated Creatine levels. He told me that he has to do some additional tests to diagnose my condition. What does an elevated Creatine level mean? I feel fine, what could be wrong with me?

Hi, creatine is a very important molecule that provides our muscles with energy. What your doctor talked to you about is creatinine, a waste product that comes from creatine after it is used. As any other waste product, creatinine is eliminated from our body through the kidneys. Elevated creatinine level means that this molecule stays in the body in concentrations higher than it is healthy. This situation usually applies that there is something wrong with kidney function. I can understand that you are confused with this situation, because you don't feel any symptoms. In most of the cases elevated creatinine levels don't cause any symptoms. However, absolute creatine level is not a best way to determine the state of someone's kidneys. That is why your doctor ordered additional tests that include creatinine clearance and glomerular filtration rate. The results of these tests are a much more reliable source of information.

What is the basic treatment for having high creatinine levels in your blood/urine?
Thank you.