Hello everyone,

This happened to me just yesterday. I was having one of these panic attacks that I have from time to time (this might sound like I got used to them, but you never really get used to panic attacks) and I had this weird feeling of déjà vu along with my panic attack, it was so weird, I had déjà vus before, but never like this.

I am wondering now if panic attacks (or anxiety or depression as well) could be somehow connected with déjà vus, what do you think? It is just an idea that came to my mind.

Hi Nina,

There were some studies done in order to determine the connection between déjà vu and anxiety, depression, and panic attacks. However, these studies didn't get too far with the results. They found out that people who are suffering from these conditions tend to experience déjà vu more often than people who aren't suffering from these conditions, but it is yet unknown what exactly causes these déjà vus to happen.

So yes, the déjà vus that you are experiencing are probably happening because of your panic attacks, so I wouldn't worry about it, you are okay, you are not experiencing them for any other reason.

Hey guys,

Eating Boss is right, there were studies done about it and they did show some kind of connection between déjà vu and anxiety. Well, it just showed that people who are suffering from anxiety happen to experience déjà vu from time to time, a bit more often than other people.

If it was just an idea that came to your mind, then you are good with ideas. You are indeed right about this so no need to worry about it. Just keep fighting your anxiety and your panic attacks, I would start talking to a psychologist if I were you.

Hey Nina,

When I was suffering from anxiety and panic attacks, I used to experience deja vus all the time. It is like, there couldn't pass a day without me experiencing at least one deja vu. I got really scared, so scared that I went to talk to my doctor about it (I am the kind of person who doesn't visit her doctor unless she is dying). Well, he told me that these things are quite common to occur when a person is suffering from anxiety. I swear, for a second I thought that I was able to predict future or something.

Hello everyone,

That is funny, Joyce, I actually thought the same, like, I have some sort of a power to see the future or something, just for a second, but I was too embarrassed to say it.

It is good to know that this is related to my panic attacks and that I have nothing to worry about it. The feeling is weird, but it is also somehow good, I cannot explain it. I liked deja vus when I was a kid, they were always very interesting to me and I really wanted to figure out what was hiding behind these things.

Hey there.

I haven't believed my friend when he told me that he had this as well. Actually, I was thinking that he is imagine those things because he was always like that - he always wanted someone to be around him, he always wanted to be in the center. If you know what I mean.

I remember that one day, when I was younger, I was home alone and I had more than 6 series of deja vus together with panic attacks. I can tell you that this was not comfortable at all but it is possible, of course. 

I remember the day when my wife gave a birth to our lovely son. I was so happy and I really needed to go out with my friends, because it was a unique day of my life. So I was drinking red wine all night and very soon I was feeling really bad, I didn't know what is going on with me. Then, I had those deja vu feelings that you mentioned. They are not pleasant at all but the problem is also because I have never went to see doctor about those attacks even if they were happening after this day very often. One friend told me that this could be a sign of the dehydration but I don't know what to think about this. Maybe this is the main reason, who knows?

Hey. I don't know but I think that you should check with your doctor all about this condition. I was pretty sure that those deja vus are connected with epilepsy attacks. A panic attack typically causes a faster heartbeat, dizziness, nausea and an overwhelming sense of anxiety and I am telling this form my own experience. 

But also I do know that one friend of mine told me that she had panic attacks dominated with deja vus and that this was like a nightmare to her. When I asked her about epilepsy, she told me that she has no problems with it.   

Don't know what to tell you about this whole situation. I think that Déjà Vu is associated with panic attacks as well. But I can tell you that your symptoms are super similar to mine, especially the part about having dejavu of a dream. I had this as well and I really believed that I am dreaming about this.
Now, what you wrote sounds like simple partial epilepsy attack to me as well but I am not a doctor and I can be sure about this. I don't have numbers on how common this is but it seems to be talked about a decent amount. You should definitely see someone about this, you should try to find what is going on with you.
I hope that you are going to be fine.
Good luck.

I came looking for information on this because I had a panic attack today with nausea, hot flushing and deja vu episodes that have lasted all day. I've only had two other panic attacks in my life but they were more of a feeling of going to pass out or zooming in and out. I'm just glad to read that I'm not losing my mind. Some of the deva vu episodes today were real life stuff and others from dreams I've had in the past.