I have heard it said that when you have an anxiety panic attack, it feels like you are dying or having a heart attack. I have had terrible anxiety over the last couple of months and have some really bad days where I am almost nonfunctional. Sometimes my body just starts feeling heavy, especially my limbs, like it is just frozen. And I feel a heavy feeling in my chest. Is this one of the physical symptoms of anxiety panic attacks or is there something else that is wrong with my body, medically?

I need answers. 

It sounds like you are in quite a predicament. It sounds genuinely awful.

I feel terrible for you.

I suppose it could be an anxiety attack. But you also have to consider that you might be suffering from cardiovascular disease. I would definitely involve a doctor.

When this happens to you, is your heart racing as well? Are there any other symptoms like feeling jittery, breaking out in a sweat, feeling short of breath, that kind of thing? In what circumstances do these episodes arise exactly?

Well, the symptoms you mention sound like two that match those of a panic attack. The first is "derealization" or "depersonalization", where you feel detached from your body and like you have lost control over it. The diagnostic list doesn't include a heavy feeling as such, but it sounds like this is what you might be experiencing, and this is your way of describing that feeling. 

You also mention a heavy feeling in your chest. This might be a classic case of chest discomfort, which is a tell tale sign of panic attacks. 

Do you have any other symptoms perhaps?

The reason I was asking about other symptoms is because panic attacks also come with many other signs. Feeling like you are going crazy is one of them, and then there's dizziness, sweating, feelings of choking or breathing difficulties, and numbness, shaking, and sweating are also possible. Most of all is a general feeling of fear and panic, and a fear of dying or feeling like you might be dying. 

Do these symptoms sound at all familiar to you? If they do, there is a high chance that you are suffering from panic attacks. If a strange feeling in your body and chest pain are your only symptoms, you might have another medical problem. 

I don't know what "heavy body feeling" is, I don't have a clue. Can you tell me a little more what you mean by this "heavy body feeling"? I really can't comprehend what you mean by that.

To my understanding, panic attacks make people feel sweaty, clammy hands, out of breath, palpitations, blurry vision, dizzy, and panic of course. I have never heard of any other symptoms. But everyone is unique.

So let's get this straight... you are anxious and you're having physical symptoms. Anxiety's pretty notorious for causing physical symptoms, muscle tensions, heavy sweating, a pounding heart, stomachache, headache, dizziness, diarrhea, all that sort of stuff... a "heavy body feeling" isn't specifically mentioned but of course it varies from person to person so yeah, I'd get in touch with your GP over this. Could be panic attacks yeah. You can feel like you're gonna pass out, is that perhaps what you're talking about when you say heavy body feeling? And you can feel like choking, is that what's going on?

I could see that. The general symptoms of panic attacks were already covered, but you do have people who say that their body goes "numb" or "paralyzed", or "freezes". It's not hard to imagine that you'd have a kind of heavy body feeling in that state, is it? Along with the breathing trouble, heart racing, and so on, it all begins to add up. 

Of course you want to be rid of this nasty symptom. There are ways to deal with panic attacks but I'd think therapy is in order and perhaps medication as well. You need to get this checked out, basically. It's hard, but just do it. 

Thanks for your replies. OP here. I know my description sounds confusing but I honestly don't have a better way to describe it. My limbs feel heavier, physically. Yes, it is like I can't move, but that is not all of it. The physical heavy body feeling is there as well. Like you are very, very tired, perhaps? I am sure that sounds more familiar to more people.

There is also a heavy chest feeling, racing heart, and panicky feeling. It is highly unpleasant and leaves lingering after effects the rest of the day after an episode like that.

Right. That does meet the description for panic attacks.

Have you ever seen anyone about your anxiety? I know this can be scary, especially if you are normally anxious around authority figures or tend towards the hypochondriac side of things. One thing to keep in mind is that anxiety is incredibly common. Whoever you see about your anxiety will have seen it all before, and here's the good news, have some really good ideas about how to reduce your symptoms.

Celebrity

Hey,

Have you looked into some of the physical and mental anxiety relaxation techniques out there? You have deep breathing techniques, along with targeted muscle relaxation. The techniques you will want to learn more about are applied relaxation and progressive muscle relaxation. 

Outside of panic attacks, regular practice of yoga, tai chi, and just going to the gym can also be enormously beneficial. There are also some other relaxation techniques for anxiety.

Some people will need anxiety medication to reach a level of peace that is satisfactory to them, but don't underestimate the power of these physical relaxation techniques, because they can make an enormous difference. 

Rosie