Hey everyone,

My question is pretty simple here - anxiety in children under 10: If someone who is still young happens to suffer from anxiety or panic attacks, how is this going to affect their adult life? I kind of think that it can definitely stunt their growth but I am not quite sure how and in which way so I was hoping that some of you might have a more precise answer to that.

You see, child of a friend of mine (she is a teenager actually) is suffering from anxiety and he wants to know if her anxiety can stunt her growth now and mess with her adult life.

Hey there to my knowledge no anxiety can not stunt/affect someone's growth

Hey there Guest,

I agree with Biomajor. Especially when you are younger. If someone who is young starts suffering from anxiety or panic attacks, it messes up the way they think and they can not really proceed living in the way that they did before, they can't grow in the way they did before.

This is why it is very important for young people to talk to psychologist in their early phases of life. Especially if they have anxiety or panic attacks, they need to sort it out if they want to become good adults tomorrow without any things from the past haunting them.

Of course anxiety and panic attacks can stunt your growth, this is so easy to conclude. That is why dealing with anxiety and panic attacks (and depression) are so hard and that is why it is so important to fight these things, because they mess up your mind, they change your view on the world and people in it, they won't let you grow, instead, they are even going to push you back.

So it is not a question if they can stunt your growth, it is absolutely going to happen. Especially when you are a young person, you don't want this for teenagers for example.

Hi everyone,

I actually feel so stupid now after reading what you guys wrote. Of course anxiety and panic attacks can stunt someone's growth, what kind of question is that. I mean, I don't know, I was almost sure about it, but that "almost" didn't mean that I was certain about it so I just wanted to be sure, you know.

Since this is most dangerous for teenagers because it affects their future and their attitude towards life, are there any kind of steps that teenagers could take in order to avoid developing problems with anxiety and panic attacks, what do you think?

Good day there.

Social phobia can be really nasty thing. But you need to be aware that there is no social phobia that can stunt your growth. It is impossible. Everything is in your mind, and it has nothing to do with your  growth. That is what I think and I was reading a lot about it. It makes a lot of sense.

On the other hand, you will however reach a point that your body will no longer grow, and the fact is, that as one ages, you will eventually shrink. But it is all in your mind and you can't blame anxiety or panic attack because of this. Good luck. 

I was wondering exactly the same thing a couple of months ago when I was talking to my friends about this issue. One of my friends were telling me that it is possible, while one of them was totally sure that this is not possible at all. But when I was thinking about this a little bit more than usual, I realized that this is really possible especially if you are younger and you are dealing with depression, anxiety and panic attacks. I assume something just can't stunt your growth when you are younger. People going through the same phases when they are growing up, but when they have something such as pain attack, that is a little bit harder.

Yes, I also believe that this is possible even if some people still will tell you that this is not true. I am reading your posts in here and I can tell you that what Hannah wrote up there has a point, but it is not quite true. I believed the same thing like you did Hannah. until I really met a person who has problems with it. Anxiety and panic attacks really were able to stunt her growth and that was obvious. So, like others told you, when you are younger you can expect that. Yes, it is possible.