I am 15 years old, and I had the mirena IUD put in 5 days ago. I am still getting cramps. They aren't like horrible. They are bareable and they go away usally with ibuprofin and a heating pad. However I was woundering if these cramps are bad. I also wanted to know how soon after you get this you can have sex because many people said right away you can but my gyno said that I had to wait to weeks and well ... Yesterday the forth day after I did and I wanted to know if it was really bad to have done so. I used a condom and we were very gentle about it so I don't think it will affect anything. And one more quetsion I have is when I have sex after my vagina is very sore and i was woundering if that means I am alergic to condoms or if we are just getting to rough because yesterday it didnt get sore. :-) thank you.

laytex condoms that is.

How is it a 15 yr old was approved for Mirena?

Hi curious_c,

The reason your doctor told you to wait a few weeks is to make sure that the placement takes. There's a chance that your body may reject the device and try to dispel it (push it out) in which case you would not be protected from pregnancy. If this was to happen it's likely that it would be in the first few weeks so your doctor is being smart by telling you to wait. If you want to have sex sooner rather than later then definitely use a back-up birth control method.

If you're sore after sex it could be a few things like maybe your body doesn't like that type of condom or you're not lubricated enough so you're literally chafing :P Try switching condoms or using a more lubricated type. If you're kind of dry you can try KY jelly to reduce friction but don't use just any lotion or oil - only those meant for use during sex as some oils will break down latex.

@laura57: I assume that she got it by asking for it.

curious_c - I should clarify my earlier statement:

Depending upon WHEN in your menstrual cycle you had it inserted it may also take time for Mirena to become effective so it may not just be concern about it slipping out of place that led your doctor to tell you to wait. Either way, though, because of your age (I'm guessing you haven't been pregnant before) you should use condoms for a while to make sure the Mirena stays put. Just in case your doctor didn't mention this: you should also be checking your IUD regularly to make sure it's still there.

FYI I'm in my 30s and had a Mirena slip out of place within a few weeks after insertion last year, so better safe than sorry!