Hi. I need some serious advice. I have had a Mirena IUD for the past three years. I have not had a period the entire time I have had it in. Well about 2 weeks ago I started having sharp pains on my left ovary. They seem to come and go. Well about 3 days ago, I started having cramps and last night I started bleeding. Not a lot, just enough to be concerned. I was also feeling light headed I am thinking that this is my period, but I hope it is nothing more serious. Also, it just doesnt seem right that after three years of not having my period, it would just show up. Has anyone else had anything like this happen to them.

I have had the same thing almost. I got the mirena put in July 2007. Just lately I have started feeling like I had quit a few cramps along with more bleeding than normal. Although my cramps aren't in a specific part. It concerned me because I really haven't had a menstral cycle for almost a year now and then one day I had one. Alot of people are saying that the hormones messed with their body really bad. So this might be the case for you. Other than that you should really check with your doctor just to be safe.

I am just wondering because this same thing just started with me yesterday. :-(

ok well. im freaking out over the same thing. i had my daughter in feb of 06. i got my iud in march or april. now all of the sudden here comes the blood not alot but enough that i am concerned. I have not had a period in over 2 and 1/2 years. my fiance is going over seas tomorrow and now i am worried about being pregnant. is anyone else having a pregnancy scare out of the bleeding or am i just paranoid???!????

same for me too. I'm not finding anything on people being pregnant from it though. I'm thinking we are that select few who go through a little hormonal change and our body reacts accordingly. I recently ( like the past two months) have fallen crazy in love for the man I'm seeing (he feels the same. no worries there) and think it could be from that. Your fiance leaving....
I have had Mirena for over 3 years now. Not a single period. Occasionally a little bit of cramping, just barely noticeable, and maybe a little sensitivity in my breasts. No biggie. We just had some pretty "emotional" intercourse and I've started bleeding and very light cramping, about 1/3 of a normal period for me from before Mirena. It could have gotten moved about inside and caused the cramping and bleeding. BTW my insertion was one of the most painful experiences ever with a bunch of bleeding for about a week after til it all settled out. So I know that it moving around up there could definitely be the cause of bleeding and cramps.
I would say if it gets to a point where the bleeding/cramping don't stop, go see your doctor. If it's light enough to not be worried, do your best to remain calm and live out your day as normal. Otherwise the stress in your head can bring on more to your body as well.
I'll let you know if mine changes at all, but sounds just like me... oh, I also turned 25 last onth which was extremely emotional for me, this could be the aftermath of that entire 2 weeks of madness...

i have had the same problem... i got my iud in april of 2007. I rarely had a tiny bit of spotting but no full periods - not even close... but now all of the sudden almost 3 years later i'm getting frequent periods... it started about 2 months ago and i have got my period about every two weeks since then. not just short little periods either, they last about 5 days and i have the cramping and everything but i just don't understand why this is happening all of the sudden, i'm starting to freak out about it!!!

hello. i have had mine in for almost 3years and it's been hell! after i got it in a few weeks later my partner and i had problems, my device literally stabbed him, so i went back to have the strings cut b/c they hurt my partner. then about a month later i was bleeding and used a tampon, my doc said it'd be fine, well i coulden't get it out, it was attached to my device, so when i ripped it out it moved my device, but doc said it was okay. then it's been a year now that i've had alot of discomfort in my pelvic region and i bleed everytime i have sex, and i've gone to my doc several times he says there's nothing wrong, so i'm confused! but then he tells me if i continue to have pain then he would do a procedure by taking a scope through my pelvic region to get a look inside. should i? now i'm concerned because i have been bleeding worse and worse each month, and now i'm on my 3rd week of bleeding, and i'm fatigue and in pain. i have terrible cramps in my thighs and back, all across my pelvic area and nausa i feel alot of pressure where my ovaries would be. what to do? i made an appointment with my primary doc today so maybe he'll have some answers. have any of you had these problems?

I just want to say to anyone who does have the Mirena IUD, get it out! If you have problems with it get it out. I had it inserted in February 2008 at my 6 week check up after having my daughter. It never felt right. I did not like it. I told the Dr. and he told me it just took time to get used to it. I could feel it inside me! I had HORRIBLE periods, sometimes lasting up to 15 days. They told me it just would take my body time to adjust from delivery, I had a very tough delivery but healed up fine. In May of 2009 I missed my period, I thought surely I could not be pregnant. another 2 weeks went by and still nothing. Took a pregnancy test......Positive, another one +, I took 6 tests just to be sure. Then I began to freak out because I knew the risks. I got into see the Dr. on Monday, (I found out on a Saturday). The Dr. told me that they were going to monitor me everyother day measuring my HCG level. On Wednesday, I was playing with my daughter and had bad cramps all day. After an hour of bad cramps I started having pain in my ovary. Within another hour I could barely get off the floor to find my phone to call my husband at work. He called an ambulance and by the time they got there my 18 month old daughter was laying next me crying with me. I had an ectopic pregnancy. The IUD had become dislodged and had grown into my uterine wall, which explained the pain and long, heavy periods.

When they found out what the problem was they thought I would be a good candidate for the shot they use instead of surgery. It took two shots and 6 weeks of bleeding and excrutiating pain. Not to mention the devestation of losing a baby. I will never suggest that someone get this. My friend just had a baby in April and she had the Mirena put in a week before I found out about everything. She has been depressed, with horrible cramps and heavy bleeding.

If you are on the fence about it. Get it out.

ok ya'll r freaking me out..lol
Seriously, Im going to call the doctor, because i am having exactly what you guys are having.
The iud totally jacked up my whole cycle.
My periods are once every 6 months or so.
Well all of a sudden this month i've had a period since the begining of december.
So it's going on to 3 weeks.
Im going to call the doctor.
It doesn't seem right....
I may have her take it out.

I've had it since 2007 after my daughter was born.
And just recently have been having problems.

My sister in law just had an etopic pregnancy last month.
She had the other iud for 10 years.

So now im cautious...

I say to any women out there if your having problems def call your doctor.
We know our body more than anyone!

Thanks for this post ya'll it really helped I thought i was the only one
going through this...hang in there ladies..;-))

I've had my second Mirena IUD for almost 5 years. I have not once, EVER, had a single problem with it. I love it! I had one before I had my second child and loved that one as well. I almost never have periods and if I do they're very light and only last about 2 days. Well, 3 days ago I started bleeding. Heavily! I'm going thru tampons every few hours. There's also a lot of blood clots. It's finally to the point where I'm going to see my doctor today. I have no pain, no discomfort, no cramps, no symptoms at all. I've been with the same partner for almost a year so no new changes there either. The only thing I can think of is that since it's due to be replaced next month maybe whatever hormones were in it have run out, thus a super heavy period. And ideas anybody?

I am on my first Mirena for just obout 4 yrs, a similar thing just happened to me. 4 yrs of light periods and then all of a sudden a heavy flow with big clots. I called my dr and he said not to be alarmed, it could just be that it needs to be replaced. I think the hormone level might drop a little the older it gets?

wow, i was trying to look up something different and stumbled across this. i had the mirena in march of 2006 a month and a half after my son was born. and like someone said it was the most painful insertion ever! with alot of bleeding and pain for pretty much the whole time. about a year and a few months later i wanted it out and went to my doctor. to my wonderful surprise it had embedded itself in the wall of my uterus. i had surgery to remove it. however the pain that i felt during the time with the mirena never really went away. my periods have never been the same as they were before. i always had bad cramping and would bleed pretty heavy the first few days,normal, but now i feel as though im starting my period 10 -15 times a day for around 21 days then i bleed for one to two days with no pain for about 5 days. wierd and annoying and well painful. my doctor said the pain would go away if i were to get pregnant. well, she was right about that. my whole pregnancy was free of that pain anyways, and my daughter is now 6 months old and now it has all come back. i have had so many ultra sounds and tests. no one can ever find out anything and basicallythey tell me to take some tylenol. its pretty unnerving and at time makes me feel pretty anxious. well this whole rambling has come from the topic of the mirena. i have nothing good to say about it and some how i relate it to the pain im still experiencing. i understand preganancies can change your menstral cycles along with age, but really? this extreme?

Look guys, I have had the Mirena for 5 years and absolutely loved it! I had it taken because, first, it was time, and secondly because I was considerin getting pregnant.
I have always had long, heavy periods due to policistic ovaries. But two months after the mirena removal, the longest period of my life began: 3 straight months and counting! I'm so sick of having a period! I'm bleeding like there's no tomorrow, for the whole 5 years that I was period free.
I want to put the mirena back on, but have to wait for all this bleeding to end. Wonder why this is lasting for soooo long!

omg.. I'm having that same issue right now. I'm freaking out too. I've had the Mirena for about three years now and all of a sudden I'm bleeding a lot. Not just a little, a lot. I haven't had a single period since I had it put in. I've experienced a little spotting here and there, but never anything like this. I was thinking about seeing a doctor, but before I do that, I wanted to look it up. It's a little relieving that I'm not the only one. I just googled "bleeding after three years of the IUD" and your post popped up. lol! I am cramping a lot and I haven't felt these in years! okay.. I'm going to see a doctor now.

I've had my IUD since June of 06 and have occasional spotting, but haven't really had anything that lasted more than a day or two. Last month, it was four days. Then last week, I started bleeding during sex. Eight days later, I'm still bleeding and pass a small clot. I'm freaking out a bit, because heavy, uncontrollable bleeding is why I got an IUD in the first place.

However, my insertion experience was awesome -- no more uncomfortable than a pap smear -- and I've had no trouble with the strings and sex. Although, I will say I have had spotting during sex several times. I hope that's all this is this time, too. Just the IUD shifting?

I can't tell you how happy I was to find this blog and hear your stories. I don't want to be the only one whose body is sometimes acting up. But, if you are having heavy, prolonged bleeding, get to a doctor right away!!! I waited before and ended up VERY anemic. I had to be hospitalized and given a blood transfusion. Don't ignore your body.

It's odd enough after 4 years of not doing this that I'm going to get to a doctor soon, too. Trouble is, right now, I'm uninsured. :-(