I've had my mirena iud for a year now. Right away my husband and I experienced trouble during intercourse with the head of his penis getting poked by the string attached to the iud, and apparently it's pretty painful, like needles poking it. I went back to my doctor and he trimmed the string, thinking maybe it was a little to long. This helped a little with the problem, but off and on he is still getting poked. Now, it seems like everytime we have intercourse he complains about this. Has anyone else encountered this problem or have any suggestions for us?

Yes, I have had this problem also. My wife has the Mirena and I had no idea what it looked like but during sex with a full errection (that is when we are really in to it) I reach her cervix and immediately my errection leaves. Yes, it does feel like little needles. But I'd rather deal with this than having more kids. I already have four. I will just not push myself all the way in her.

Hope this helps.

Mo B.

I have had mirena for three days now. It hurt like hell getting put in! My boyfriend says he can feel a little poke but nothing too painful. But vigorous sex is extremely painful for me now. hope this helps!

>:( My IUD hurt so bad when they were putting it in. Now, my boyfriend is getting hurt during intercourse, Can they do anything about this? I dont want any more kids, but I still want sex. I see why they call it birth control what guy wants their penis poked by a needle feeling object

I've had the Mirena for a while, and of all the times my boyfriend and I have had sex, he has only felt something once (the last time). I wasn't aware that the strings could poke and I'm really hoping that's all it was.

I have had the Mirena in for about 3 months. The insertion was very painful and if I keep it for 5 years I will not do another insertion. It has had its advantages and disadvantages but as far as sex goes, my husband can only feel it when I am on top and that is just sometimes. I guess it depends on which way we go with it and he said it does feel like needles.

If your dh can feel the poke, go back to the dr. Make sure it is still in the correct position. Tell your dr and they can cut the strings so they wont rub.

Me and my husband were having sex when all the sudden i felt a sharp pain i then started bleeding alot.... anyone else had this issue?

My wife and I are about 100% sure we are through having children. We were going to have the Essure procedure but decided that we would choose something longterm but not lifelong in case we change our minds. We decided to use the Mirena. I had read about the possibility of the man feeling the strings before she had it inserted, but I was led to believe it was very unlikely. Well in my case, not so unlikely. No matter the position or the force, every single thrush in and my penis is met by what I can only explain as "fishing line" type strings. It is not painful but very uncomfortable and thought consuming. I can not focus on the pleasure because I am worried that this "fishing line" is going to go in my penis hole. I told me wife, after about 3 weeks from time of insertion (Mirena) that I just felt more comfortable wearing a condom . She was like hell no because she had just been through the procedure. I have heard from others-now that I talk about it all the time- that overtime the strings get softer and not as noticeable. Does anyone know if this is true?

My husband has had his head poked a couple times with the string and both times I experienced severe cramps at the same time. I bled for three months straight too. It only seems to poke him at certain positions but I would hate to have to remove that from our activities because of a stupid string. My husband and I really enjoy our sex life and this has made it difficult. Has anyone heard about curling the string? I read it in a few places but not sure if it works...

I got the mirena installed almost 2 weeks ago now. I didnt tell my husband about the strings, but i did show him a photograph of the actual IUD (the part in the uterus, but it didnt show the strings) He's a big guy, and normally reaches my cervix, but he hasnt even noticed the strings. I can feel they are definitely there but he's oblivious, even when vigorous- perhaps not knowing helps? LOL (I didnt keep it from him, just... havent thought to point out the strings?? didnt know anyone had a problem with them o0)
Perhaps its not inserted deep enough? Or you have a tiny uterous? o0 Imo check with ur gynie too O0

On another note, I've never been pregnant, nor with another man, and never had an IUD, but i have had problems with other contraceptives-I have found the mirena so far the easiest to adjust to!!!! i get the cramping when orgasming, but its momentary, and minimal (doesnt take away at all! :-D)
Just thought i should throw in some positivity for anyone thinking of getting it!
So far, I'm impressed!

I didn't know about the strings but I immediately noticed a needle like jab under the head of my penis. It really makes me want to just hurry up but also don't really want to thrust hard. I'm to the point that I'd prefer mutual oral sex instead. My wife likes the Mirena and loves that her period stoped within 2 months of getting it. So far, Im the only one with negative side effects... :-(

I got the Mirena put in two months ago and didn't know about a problem with the male feeling it. My husband does tell me that he can feel something, especially when I am on top, but he can position himself when he is in control so that he doesn't feel it. He doesn't say that it hurts but it's just distracting. He has had no problem with reaching an orgasm, even feeling the string, if that's what it is. I will be going back to te gyn soon and will make sure to mention something to him about possibly cutting the strings.

Ive never had an issue with it, but im getting the bad side effects of it so im having it removed. The string always was tucked up int there and never poked around.

Have any of you guys thought about using a condom to see it it would help?
It provides a barrier, easy clean up(lol), and added protection against getting pregnant( there is a few cases of ppl getn preg on the iud).

i have had my mirena for 2 1/2 years and have never been aware that my husband has ever felt anything. I, on the other hand, have sharp pain in certain sex positions. we get a little crazy and after all this time it is getting more painful. hopefully the doctor will check and see if it is in the correct place. good luck mirena lovers!