I am 23 years old and I had a baby 9 months ago I have been on the pill since i was 17 but since the lack of taking the pill properly, is why my daughter is here in the first place, i decided to try the mirena, out of sight out of mind. Or so I thought. Before Mirena was inserted My nurse practioner and I sat down and talked about what he was going to do and what to expect. HE told me that I was going to feel some discomfort and a little cramping, but it would not be to the point where i would want him to stop the procedure. When the procedure began everything went according to the plan, but as he was putting the device in the measure to see if I was the right fit for the mirena I felt a little more than a slight cramp but I wrote it off to me having a low tolerance for pain. Then comes the mirena, I felt like there was a knife slowly cutting at my insides and it was excruciating. I didn't tell him to stop though because I was thinking that the pain would go away. After he removed the speculum the pressure lessoned, but it did not go away. He said the pain should have been subsiding but it was increasing, it got so bad until I was balled over in the bathroom of the office on the floor crying. I could tell that this reaction had never happened to him before because of the look on his face. I stayed in that bathroom for about 30 minutes crying until someone had to drive me home. on the way out the door, I vomitted and that gave me some relief. I don't think the vomitting is normal though. It has been three days since the mirena was placed and that pain has not gone away it is a lot less intense but a cramping pain never the less. I also have been spotting since the mirena was put in it never stopped it kept on. My period was not on when the mirena was placed and i think that, that may be a reason for my distress. I just want some feedback because I do not believe that this is normal. help me!

HI there,

I had the Mirena inserted about 2 months ago and i thought it was the most painful thing ever!!! i was shaking and sweating pretty badly after the insertion and i had to lie still for a while.
I could drive myself back to work but i did nothing constructive all day - the pain was just too much.

the actual insertion was terrible (and i was prepped by my gynae) - so i'd hate to know what it feels like without 'prepping'.

for a good few days after insertion i had terrible pain. Pain pills didnt help.

now... 2 months down the line. I am sore every day. I'm so bloated (i look preggie) and i have continious bleeding . I actually phoned my doc to try see her about taking it out.

i suppose i'm not really answering your question as i also think what i'm experiencing is not normal.

Good luck to us :-)

Well mine stopped bleeding and then when my fiancé and I had sex it started bleeding again and it was time for my period so I didn't think anything of it but its been a week and a half and i haven't stopped bleeding since. I am going to the obgyn today to see what the problem is and to see about getting it took out because i am not about to live my life this way. Yes....GOOD LUCK TO US BOTH!

I had a similar experience. The insertion was ridiculously painful. For the next few days it was hurting like a bad period but the last three days have been awful. I am taking WAY too much ibuprofen just to work. I called my dr. today to get a strong pain killer but havent heard back. It seems that the medical world is very supportive of IUDs but if you ask people who have had them inserted, the actual patients, aren't.

I have to say I didn't experience any of the things mentioned here. I was told to expect a cramping sensation immediately when inserted. I was given a local in my cervix and other than the one cramping when it was inserted I have been ok. Was told to take panadol and ponstan before the procedure and haven't needed anything since. Bleeding is light, so light I only need a mini pad. Maybe you were just unlucky. Hope things improve for you.

No bleeding but I am so much pain I need oxycodin to stop pain, I had surgery for polyps and she inserted it then. I am in such pain since Feb.2012, the worse ever! My doctors office called security and tried to charge me 300$ to remove this because my insurance expired. I am in hell.

I'm 7 weeks post partum with my second child, thought that this would be harmless but it was excruciating! And they just prepped me, I didnt get it inserted. My docter stopped and told me to come back in 4-6mths. I'm not back at all!! Skrew that! I'll find a different method...

I'm 33 yrs old, just had my iud inserted on 24 Dec, was told by my dr it would be painful but did nt expect sooo much pain like someone is using sharp knives cutting inside. No local was used. I vomited for 15mins after insertion and a lot of pain for 3 days. 1st time ever that I take so much ibuprofen or pain killers. I could nt tell him to stop cause its the only contraception for since I hve uncontrol blood pressure n cnt take oral pills, it contribute to high blood. On 30 Dec pain came back with a light period. Hope things will get better cause I'm nt looking forward to another painful removal anytime soon.

I am 33yrs and also had mine put in on dec 24th. I have high tolerance for pain and I can still say it did hurt. felt like going through painful contractions. I had it done on the last day of my period, and I had no bleeding or spotting afterwards. its been a week since the procedure and I am wondering if its normal not to have any type of bleeding after insertion.

It's been a while since the original post, hope things got better! I'm 26 with no children and I had mine put in last week. I was given the Mirena because I have serious reactions to all combo pills and due to bone density concerns it was advised that I not stay on the depo shot any longer. I was prepped for the procedure as much as possible; they did let me know it would be very painful as I have not had children but I agree that I wasn't quite ready for the intensity of pain I experienced. I've broken many bones and had a ruptured appendix but nothing quite compares to this insertion. I have a very high tolerance to pain but I was in shock almost immediately and was very close to fainting and vomiting the entire time. I know one of my issues was that (as we learned) I have a very acutely curved uterus so it was quite a difficult insertion with the generically shaped tools. I only had spotting the first day (so far), but the cramping has been pretty intense since. I've read that some people experience cramping for up to 6 months, which I would not look forward to, but I'm still hopeful that eventually the device will agree with me :) Stocking up on naproxen and muscle relaxants. Best of luck to the rest of you!

Hello i got the mirena i. May my bleeding stopped just spotted everyonce and a while its now February and ive started to recently have lower back pain fatigue then i startd to have 2 to 3 periods a month now its to the point that i am doubling over in pain and worse crapping to where i dont want to get out of bed i talkd to planned parent hood and they said that i should get it checkd out my sister is actually getn hers removed in a few days because she was having similar problems so i suggest to get it checkd out as soon as u can

I am back to work less than an hour after the placement of my first Mirena.  I have not had any children and did not have a topical or local anesthetic during placement.  

I just want everyone who know that the best things you can do, in my opinion, are:

- have it placed by a physician who does this often

- have it placed while you are menstruating

- take 800 mg of ibuprofen ~1.5 hours before your appointment

- expect that it will really really hurt 

I did those things and while it wasn't a super fun time it was quick and only moderately uncomfortable (and only for about 3 min).  Don't be scared, just be prepared.  I can't say anything more about the experience of living with Mirena just yet but so far, so good.  

Every doctor has a different level of adeptness at placing these and each patient has a different pain perception so there's no clear answer to how you will feel.  Just don't be scared off by these stories!  It's not always so bad.

omg.... these stories make me want to cancel my appointment! this sounds torturous what am I thinking...

I had my first one put In 5 years ago after giving birth on my check up it was painful and bkeed for a whike but after two months it stoped for good nothing I use to have bad period but for five years no bleeding nothing I liked mine so I had it removed last week to have a new one put in today it hurt so bad I had to lay down after I felt like I was going to pass out and the cramps after feel like contractions but after a couple months I'm sure it wi ll stop like first one of u can handle the pain at first it will go away after a little while