at the tender age of 17 i presented in emergancy with servere bleeding and cyst on my ovaries the size of tennis balls , i was told i was anemic and border time low.. with agonising tummy pains and sharp pains in my lower back and down my legs ,they monitured me and kept me in hospital for 5days following my first surgery which lead to the discovery of endimitriosis on my bowel and alittle drops around my uterus. They diagnosed me with stage one endimitriosis. 4 years later after 5 more surgeries,laser treatments , zoledex and pelvic physio and one colonoscopy i was diagnosed with stage 4 endimitriosis, irritable bowel syndrome and pcos (polycystic ovarian syndrome). The disease had spread from my bowel and uterus to almost every part of my female organ , causing multiple pains , lots of tears and the insertion on the mirena iud.12 months since the day i had the mirena inserted i had my period everyday for a year, blood clots , heavy blood flow ,which resulted in lots of E.D visits. Unfort living in a small town not many nurses or docs (inexperienced) are able to pull it out dispite all of my problems and i dont have hundreds off dollers to travel 9hours by car to the surgeon who put it in to begin with.the iud has given me hell i have begged for it to be taken out (even contemplating pulling it out myself) i have finally found a surgoen who has agreed to take it out.only problem is im on a 6month waiting list.I gained 15kg from the first two months it was put in and the weight hasnt been able to lift. Despite all the pain and blood loss. I am healthy..i work out 6 days aweek , afternoon beach walks with my fiance and i eat healthy everyday. Drinkingg nothing but water and the odd gladd of cordial every now and then. My skin has been so oily and gross leaving me with pimples under and around my chin and cheeks. I have never had pimples like this in my life..not since the mirena anyway. I feel bloated all of the time , bad headaches , mood swings , depression ,oily skin,still painful more heavy flowing periods and not to mention my docter said the mirena is buried into my wall of my womb. The mirena iud can benefit some woman not not all. I am scared to have it removed because i honestly feel i will be one of those women who experience the "mirena crash". I am writing my experience not to condemn but to share my mirena experience. I hope that if you are planning on getting the mirena think of the risks because its scienctifically proven it can cause infertility... Goodluck ladies and god bless

Hi.. I am having severe dysmenorrhea since last year, and polyps are evident too. My ob gyne recommends removal of polyps n insertion of mirena to eliminate the pain...however, after reading your article, it seems that mirena doesnt help you..meaning , mirena is not a good option? Pls.help..thanks

hey there
Well i just wanted to express my concern for the insertion of the mirena and your dysmenoheria. I too am medically diagnosed with dysmenoheria. That is the begining of all my problems. Have you been tested for endimitriosis ? I am not a docter but in my own experience , i feel as though your symptoms i have already experienced!!..i would serverly read more into getting the mirena (especially if you have dysmenoheria)..the mirena iud made it worse for me , i lost so much blood i almost saw the end of my life on afew different occasions. if its pain you want gone , the mirena did not help but make it worse. In my mirena experience ,for the first 3 months after insertion i was swollen and didnt start deflating 5 or so months after. I felt the little thing thru my uterus wall , my partner felt the mirena strings (which made his man business feel like it was being stung mb a bee everytime he bumped it ,so to speak lol ) , i was bloated , my cyst got 3.5cm bigger then usual (yepp thats the size of a tennis ball ) highly depressed and i was only 21 at the time..i should of been out loving life and having fun!!.. I can also share my experience of having it removed. So keep in mind its only been seven days since removal..last saturday i was rushed to hospital , i could walk , i was screaming in pain ,high blood loss , dizziness and the most excruiating pain i have ever felt in my life..my loving partner called the ambulance in tears , holding my hand while i was drifting in and out if conciousness..they took me straight up into the surgerical rooms and cranked up the happy gas , popped a needle in my arm and began an internal (which i felt everything )..they finally told me that the mirena was wedged into my left fallopian tube and told me that they had to pull it out..being in the pain i was in i just told them to take it out right there and then..best most painful moment of my life..i instantly felt light (very sore) but i felt great.my horrible symptoms of the mirena have lessoned since the removal, but i had a blood test and ultrasound today and my uterus is damaged , the scaring of the t shape mirena is embeded into my uterus wall, its left tiny cysts everywhere it used to live and my left pelvic area is constantly throbbing. Ive had light spotting and now i need further surgery to fix the damage. I hope my article can give you great insight into what you want to have in your body. Im only 23 years of age and i can honestly say the mirena iud has not only damaged my body , it has played a big part on my relationship and my life..im just blessed i have great kind caring man to take care of me..cause i feel the mirena as ruined my life :( good luck