Ok so heres the deal i'm freaking out because i dont know if i could be pregnant......... i'm 23 and have a 5 year old and a 16 month old so another pregnacy is not what i wanted right now....
I have the IUD in and its been in for over a year now but a few weeks ago i noticed that it was hanging lower then it usually does so i dont know if its coming out or what.
Yesterday i notced brown discharge when i wiped and its been going on all day today to but its just when i wipe its not like a period, at first i thought it was my period coming on so my husband and i had sex this morning because that always makes my bleeding start heaver (when it is my period) but that was this morning and tonight still no period just the brown discharge when i wipe.
So does anyone know what this means could i be pregnant?
I never had spotting or discharge with my first two.
Crystal

IUD strings can vary during a womans cycle, you should NEVER feel the actual IUD coming out of yourc ervix, this is a bad sign.

IF you suspect pregnancy you should consider a preg blood test, which is more accurate early on than a urine test

I have had the copperT IUD in now for about 6 years. I have an 8 year old son and a 6 year old daughter. I at this point considered my family complete. In January my period was late but then I started spotting. It was also a brown discharge an only when I wiped. I though for sure it was the beginning of my period. It went on for about 5 days and I just figured it was an irregular period. I now know that I am pregnant. I have my first appointment tomorrow and after reading a lot of different posts here on the web about this topic am scared. I honestly didn't want to be pregnant again but now that I know I am I don't want to lose the baby. I suggest anyone who thinks they might be get checked out as soon as possible. Supposedly its easier to get it out the earlier it is.

well I also have the IUD. When ever I have a brownish discharge it usually means (for me) the start\end of my period. But when I first got my IUD I also had the brownish discharge, but it eventually went away. About the strings... when you have your period, ythe strings tend to move more towards the middle. The brownish discharge may be the cause of the strings to "feel" like the IUD is falling out. The strings on the IUD usually rest on the side of your vagina, so when the discharge happens the moves strings more towards the middle. You would know if the IUD fell out, because it dose not stay in there it just falls out. But you should see your doctor, just to make sure. If you are pregnant it needs to be removed immediately, or you will have a missgarage, or it can lead to death. So go see the doctor and get your self checked out.good luck! :-D

I had a copper T IUD inserted at my 6 week postpartum checkup. My daughter is now 9 months old and I am experiencing some discomfort and a brown discharge for about a week. After having the IUD inserted, I was regular with periods right off the bat. I had the doctor check it 6 weeks after insertion, and everything was fine. This last period was about a week late, and now, about 2 weeks after my period, I'm having a brown discharge. I am having some minor cramping too, and am worried that this could mean I'm pregnant. I had the IUD because my first pregnancy was unplanned, I got pregnant while on the pill (apparently Im very fertile). We choose to have the IUD because we were pretty much guarenteed no more children unless we planned it. Now, I fear another pregnancy on the way. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Is there another possibility other than pregnancy.

I'm 16 i have a 9 month old little boy. i've had my IUD inserted August 8th, 2010 and the past week i been feeling all pregnancy symptoms but i took a test this morning and it said negative, but as of a few hours ago i keep having discharge but every once in a while i'll have like a lil bit of pinkish/light blood with it and i'm not sure if i'm pregnant again. I'm going to schedule a dr. appointment Monday to see if i am. Does anyone think i'm pregnant again?

ok so i know how everone feels on here, i am 18 i have 2 beautiful kids one is 2, and the other is 8 weeks old, and i have a mirena also,but after a had my first baby i got the mirena and i have never not one time gotten pregnant , but this time its all different im having mood swings and brown discharge and nausea you name it i feel it ,i hate going to the doctor cause everytime i go i hear nothings wrong so i just hate going now so if anyone can give me some good advice please let me know !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANKS 

i have the mirena iud i got it put in 6 weeks after my son was born in 2009. he is now 2 and i only had one period after it was inserted. im always paranoid that im pregnant since i dont have a period anymore but this time im very worried! i have been gaining a lot of weight lately my breast are getting larger and r very sore. my belly is hardening as if im pregnant and for those of you who have been pregnant before you know what i mean when i say this... but my belly hurts when i bend over to a certain extent. i took several in home pts but they all said neg then my friend pointed out to me that it could be all the hormones being released from the iud that makes the test not pick it up. im going to make a doc appt this week but i want to know if there is anyone that is or has gotten pregnant with an iud how did you know or what were ur symptoms?

hi, i have 7 beautiful children and after the last who is now 2 i decided to have a copper iud inserted went fine for almost a year but my periods became so heavy and every 2 weeks that my iron levels became dangerously low, so at my docters advice i had the copper iud change for a mirena, in which this came out 3 months later after having a very painful, crampy, backache, and heavy period.  I waited a week and had it replaced, only to have the same thing happen agen 4 weeks after insertion..... Could this have been a miscarriage?  and if not why would it come out twice in such a short time?  very confused...... 

I have a five year old daughter and had my mirena put in when she was 1.  For the past two weeks I have been having sever cramps and have not had my period for nearly two months.  I usually have light spotty periods but have not even had that, and my breasts are tender, as well as weight gain or bloating in my abdominal area.  I took a pregnancy test that came back negative but am still really worried, but I do not have any insurance and dont know where to go to get checked out.  What should I do.

Dear crystal,

I have a mirena iud. I did  have a copper iud for 5  years  about 7 years ago. I got rid of it because i gained weight,and i bleed alot. they say it has no hormons but it does, and that mirena does have hormons but it doesnt . they have it all mixed up. anyways. the brown blood could be caused by not having your period for a few months and then getting it starting out with brown blood. Brown blood is indeed signs of pregnancy, but if it turns red soon after, its your period. You can also have your period and be pregnant. Your should have blood work done to be safe. The iud can stick to the babys head  if not removed as well as a miscarriage having it removed. If its soon enough, there should be no worries!

about 3 years ago i had the mirena  iud and had an infection and  had it removed. my husband and i wanted to get pregnant so we were glad it was removed. we are the kind of people that dont like condoms and i hate worring about " did i take my birth control today?" iud are a life saver for sure.

so brown blood if it stays, could mean u are pregnant.stock up on the dollar store pregnancy tests, thats what im doing bc i do have brown blood coming out as we speak, and only when i wipe. The color hasent changed so im due for a pregnancy test. weird thing tho is my husband and i dont have sex alot maybe once a month so it would be weird to be pregnant. i feel pregnant. nausiated, and my stomach feels weird.

best of luck!

mel

Hi Everyone....I've just been reading all your posts....and i'm getting very worried. I had the IUD coil inserted a year ago...and since then my periods have been fine and very much on time...to the T. However, I am now 16 days late (which has never happened over the past year). I started spotting slightly a couple of days ago with brownish blood, but it is very light. This normally means the start of my period....but nothing has come still. I normally also have very tender breasts during the start of my period, and this hasn't happened either during this cycle. I took a pregnancy test last week which came back negative. I'm going to book an appointment with my Dr....but i'm just curious about what actually happened with any of you....did it turn out that you were pregnant, or did you get your period....just hoping it will help me to stop being so anxious about it all if I know what happened with everyone else??

I have a copper Paraguard IUD in too, it's been a year and 2 months now. I have a 3 year old daughter and an almost 1 1/2 year old son, newly married, and am only 20...you could see why I need this IUD! We are terrible at preventing pregnancies. I'm reading all of your posts because EVER since I got this thing in I have had that same brownish discharge you guys are talking about! I went to the doctor a couple months after I got it inserted and he checked it and said it was fine. He told me what happens is your body REJECTS the thing in your uterus...it knows that it is foreign and it just messes with your hormones making you get that brownish discharge, it's your bodys way of in between your periods trying to get rid of a foreign object.  I have gotten my periods pretty regularly since it's came in and am thankfully NOT pregnant. I'm guessing most of you are not pregnant either. As long as the thing stays in, and you will know if it comes out, you are probably not pregnant. My advice is to take a pregnancy test if your period is late only, and stop worrying about this brown nasty discharge. I hate it, personally, but it's a small price to pay for worry free sex, I'd say :)  Also, it's funny how they say you shouldn't be able to feel the strings, because my husband totally does.  He has gotten used to them fortunately.

I feel better reading these posts, they are what made me able to finally form a concrete opinion. I am always a little scared, but if you think about it, trying to prevent pregnancy is always scary, right?

I thought I was pregnant on Mirena because I had all the symptoms, but it turns out I just had ovarian cysts that ruptured. My breast got very tender, I started gaining weight and felt nauseated. So if you think your pregnant, ask your doctor about ruptured ovarian cysts, I didn't know what it was until I had a cat scan done

Thank You Whitney! I have all the prego symptoms but have taken 3 pregnancy tests and all negative.