Hello! My baby is two months old and she has cataract. I don’t know how this could happen. My sister tells me that cataract may be inherited and that we should examine our other two daughters. I just can’t believe it. There is absolutely no one in my family who had an eye disease. Even my grandparents who are really old don’t have cataract. I am really worried.

Hello! Your sister is right; cataract may be inherited and it is common that brothers and sisters of affected children are examined as well. Sometimes it happens that they have a partial cataract which doesn’t affect their vision. Some infection during pregnancy can cause cataract in one or both eyes. Rubella or varicella infection can cause cataract and many other disabilities if infection happens in early pregnancy. It is important do the surgery as soon as possible and the best would be till three months of age. Don’t worry; your child will develop good eyesight.