Hello! My sister has a six month old baby. It is her first child and we are all very happy about it. I still don’t have any children and I really adore her baby. But, I am afraid to talk with my sister about my concerns. I think the baby has a larger head then normal. Also, she doesn’t speak a word. I am afraid she is autistic. Is it true that autistic children tend to have larger head?

Hello! Some studies have shown that autistic children tend to have larger head circumferences, but the importance for this disorder is unclear. Also, many autistic children are born with small head circumferences but due to faster brain growth than average they usually have larger heads till the age of one. Children who have autism are physically indistinguishable from those without. When autism combines with some other disorder then the outward differences can be apparent. Six month is too early to speak so don’t be concerned. Also, if a baby has a larger head it doesn’t mean something is wrong with her.