Hello! My brother will have a cataract surgery next week. His eyesight became endangered due to his problems with diabetes. His vision problems increased rapidly in last two months and his eye doctor decide to perform a surgery. I hope this surgery will help him to perform his everyday activities without problems. Since I don’t know much about the surgery I would like to know more about the surgery and intraocular lens implant.

Hello! Cataract surgery includes cataract removal and when the cataract removal part of the procedure is completed, natural lens with will be replaced with artificial permanent lens called an Intraocular Lens. There are two types of intraocular lens implants – foldable and nonfoldable. Nonfoldable lenses are made of hard plastic material and foldable lenses are made of silicone or acrylic. Your brother will need to visit his eye doctor for several months. He may also need to use eye drops. With an intraocular lens implant his vision will improve within a few days following the surgery. Recovery time depends on health of the eye, the ease of the surgery, and the technique which has been selected. After full healing he will be prescribed new glasses usually six weeks after the surgery.