Hello! I am 43 years old and I am a single father of a 12 year old girl. She has some spine problems, a kind of spinal curve and that condition is called idiopathic scoliosis. I don’t know much about medicine since I have an entirely different kind of education, but I would really like to get myself informed on this issue and help mu daughter get better as soon as possible. First of all I would like to know what the reasons for idiopathic scoliosis are.

Well I am sorry to say that idiopathic means that the cause is unknown, so it is difficult to tell what might have caused it. I know that it can be passed on in the family, so if you or the girl’s mother had it, it might be that she inherited the scoliosis from you. Otherwise the scoliosis might be a birth defect; it might be caused by some infection or trauma, even by appendicitis. But the good thing I can tell you is that it is usually treated, and that in most cases it doesn’t need surgery.

I agree, it is hard to know the cause when the scoliosis is idiopathic. I would just like to recommend some chiropractic manipulation. When my child was having the same problems we took her to the chiropractic and it helped a lot. Some children with a mild curve don’t even need treatment; yet I think some exercises are good for them too. I wish you and your child all the best!