Hello! My sister has problems with her eyesight. She is complaining on rapidly decreased vision and often headaches. She is also very sensitive to light. Our eye doctor has just diagnosed pathological myopia. What is pathological myopia? Is it serious? There are few cases of myopia in our family but I don’t know the difference between the common and the pathological one. I also don’t know if pathological myopia can be inherited.

Hello! The symptoms you describe are common symptoms of degenerative myopia. Degenerative myopia is more severe than common forms of myopia and is associated with retina changes that may cause severe vision loss. It progresses rapidly and it is believed to be hereditary. The visual outcome depends on the extent of fundus and lenticular changes and the diagnosis is accompanied by characteristic chorioretinal degenerations. Two treatments are showing promise - scleral buckling and early systemic treatment with 7-methylxanthine, which has been shown to normalize the abnormal growth pattern of myopic eyes in children from 8 to13 years of age.