Hello! My neighbor has a one year old son. She is very concerned for his eyesight since a cataract was discovered on his left eye. His doctor assumed he was born with cataract which has progressed in his first year of life. I really don’t know how his disease wasn’t discovered before. The doctor also told her his condition required surgery. She is frightened he may lose his eyesight.

Hello! Cataracts in children are uncommon so I understand completely the concern you neighbor has. Children with cataract may be born with the disease or it may develop later in life. Treatment is tailored according the type of cataract and the child’s overall condition. Surgical removal of cataracts is often recommended in infants and children. It is good to have the surgery as soon as possible, preferably till the third month of age, but it is showed that surgeries which are performed in later age also have good result.