I am here for seeking advice as many other have. I am scheduled for a hemorrhoidectomy in September and even though I was warned not to go on the Internet by my doctor, here I am and now very scared and considering cancelling the procedure. I have had hemorrhoids since giving birth to my eldest 30 years ago and was told during my recent exam that I have all three types (internal, prolapsed and external) and that surgery, although elective, would probably be necessary at some point in my life. I figured like other people who have posted, I might was well do it now while I am fairly young and healthy. The whole reason why I even went for the exam was because I am hitting the wonderful age of 50 soon and I figured I'd be having to schedule a colonoscopy sometime in the near future and just the thought of that combined with swollen hemorrhoids gave me the creeps. I consulted a colon and rectal specialist to see if there was something I could do about the hemorrhoids. Well, greatly ignorant thinking on my part! (And I am actually having the colonoscopy this week coming).

The long and the short of it - the hemorrhoids are a nuisance but not much more and I have never had a great deal of pain from them...maybe itching once in a while. I have a healthy BM every morning, sometimes with some minor bleeding and sometimes not. I notice when I increase my cardio, I tend to bleed more frequently and occasionally I'm a tiny bit oozy afterward. I do have a very small amount of mucus discharge afterward, on occasion. I, like many women my age, wear a small liner for daily cleanliness and protection anyway. I have had a full hysterectomy (abdominal incision - 6 weeks of recovery - was not pleasant (read: really painful) in the beginning at all but got through it OK).

I have never really practiced home treatment other than occasionally using Prep H and using moistened wipes. I have relatively decent healthy eating habits. I feel like I rushed into the decision for surgery and now I am realizing that it could be a real mistake. I realize that people who have bad experiences tend to be the most vocal but there just seems that there are a lot of very unhappy people during the recovery phase of this surgery. I think I need to talk to the doctor again about the surgery and what methods he will be using. Some of the scarier posts are from several years ago and perhaps surgical methods have improved that might reduce the pain during the recovery.

Does anyone have recent experience, good and bad, or know anyone who has? I realize everyone is different, tolerates pain differently, and heals differently.  

Thanks in advance. 

If the hemorrhoids are not a big negative impact on your life, I would recommend waiting.  Last year I started to have more trouble with mine.  Pain, discomfort, and then bleeding.  I only decided on surgery because I would start bleeding any time of the day or night and enough to soak through my underwear and pants. I rarely bled with a BM.  That meant I couldn't swim and had to always wear panty liners. And it was so tender that sex was becoming rarer and rarer, which made me and my husband unhappy.

I had a full hysterectomy (also abdominal incision) 14 years ago and the hemorrhoid surgery was much more painful.  I had 2 internal and 1 external hemorrhoid removed last December (2012).  The first week was pure hell painwise, but then got noticeably better every day.  However, I ended up with anal stenosis (scar tissue buildup that narrowed my anal canal) which made it difficult to have a BM and the doctor couldn't even examine me with his little finger without causing me tremendous pain.  I've spent more money out of pocket on procedures since the hemorrhoid surgery to get things fixed than I did on the hemorrhoid surgery itself.  That was 3 dilations under anesthesia.  I did just get the good news recently that my doctor doesn't believe I'll need the anoplasty surgery.

I'm still glad I had the surgery.  I no longer have the bleeding or the pain.  I do have 3 new external hemorrhoids from all the straining I did due to the stenosis, but I'm not doing anything about them for a long time if ever.  If I had to do it all over again, I would still have the surgery.  However, I would have it done by a colon/rectal surgeon instead of a general surgeon, since a specialist would have been more likely to take my concerns seriously instead of just saying "give it more time".  If my stenosis was caught earlier, maybe it wouldn't have gotten so bad. 

My mother was 80 years old when she finally had her hemorrhoids removed (she had big problems after having 8 kids).  She bounced back quickly and was back to normal within a couple of days.  So being older doesn't always mean it's more difficult to recover.

Complications aren't really common, but you do need to be aware of them.  I thought I did a lot of research before my surgery, but I focused on recovery information and not on what complications are possible.