I admit that I am completely clueless about how to raise my baby girl. I guess that those couple of books I have read could not prepare me enough. What can you tell me about the social referencing in children? Why is that part of kid’s development so important? Thanks for your info…

Many studies have shown that at the age of 14 months (probably even much earlier), children start to grasp the concept of relating emotional facial and vocal expressions to some actions and targets and start changing their behavior in that direction. And if those expressions are not present, there might be some problem with the mental development of the baby.

Well,
If I am not mistaking social referencing was defined broadly to include children's looks toward parents, their instrumental toy behaviors, affective expressions, and other behaviors toward parents. As you can see this is not just one aspect of their lives it is the whole growing up and understanding things around them. If you don’t have much experience about this it is best to talk to your mother and see how she went through your growing up. Mothers have many useful advices about raising up children. Also you can find it very useful to talk to young mothers as well. I hope that you will be very happy with your baby girl.

All the best,
Nelie