So I'm a high school teacher, a young one, I've started like a year ago. I have noticed that so many teenagers are suffering from depression, I talked to the school psychologist, she is a friend of mine and she told me that I am right, that a lot of students come to talk to her about their issues and that so many of them have symptoms of depression. I don't know how could this be happening, they are still just kids, they should be as happiest as they can before their obligations come. This is why I am wondering what these most common causes are.

I think that stress is the thing that contributes to the development of depression the most. Other than stress, there are some biochemical factors, genetics also play a big role here, illness, ageing, personality styles, long-term pressures such as abusive relationships, bullying and work stress, all of these things are the causes or contributors to the development of depression. Children at school actually have a lot of worries since there are a lot of parents who are forcing their children to study hard and in the end to be something that they don't want to be, this is as well a major cause of depression.

It's not a hard question to answer. I mean, you as a teacher should know that children have a lot of problems nowadays and they are mostly caused by parents, parents are the ones to blame. The whole society is twisted and people are not appreciated for who they are. Kids have problems at home with their parents and they have problems at school with other kids. Problems with parents can lead to depression and so can these problems at school with other kids. Being rejected, having no friends is one of the most common causes of depression in younger ones as well as in the older ones.

Most of the problems comes from their homes, problems with their families cause a lot of children to be depressed. And if there are not any problems at home then there are problems at school which these kids aren't talking about to anyone. I know how awful this can be since I've had some problems myself at school and it's so hard to keep everything inside of you and never share it with anyone, nobody knows how you feel or what you think. It could easily cause someone to become depressed, I wasn't depressed but now when I look at it, maybe I was.

It is actually more likely for children and young people to become depressed than it is for the others. Children and really old people are most prone to suffer from depression. Both of them have their own reasons which cause them to become depressed and the one that they have in common and which is actually the most common cause of depression is loneliness. I think that you will find it a lot easier now to understand why are teenagers so prone to depression. We all had our own problems when we were teenagers but not everyone knows how to handle these problems.

Childhood depression is different than depression that develops in adults. Depression in kids is manifested as sadness. Unfortunately, I think that nobody can exactly tell what are the most common causes of the depression in kids. But you can easily recognize it. For example, there is a huge chance that you kid has problems with depression if he or she has changes in appetite, if he or she can't sleep well, or if your kid feels guilty for everything. I agree that stress might be one of the most common causes. If you notice that your kid has problems with it, you should take your kid to the doctor.

I think that kids are even more depressed than us, adults. I don't agree that there is no known cause why kids are depressed. Opposite! I do know that those children who have chronic medical problems are much more likely to get depression. So, if the kid has any problems with health, such as asthma, severe head injury, diabetes, epilepsy and maybe some other issues, it is prone to depression. Depression can't happen without a reason.

There are so many reasons and medical issues are just one of them. 

Of course, school problems, family problems, etc can also cause a depression. 

Look, you need to pay more attention to your kid. I am not saying that you don't, I am just saying that you need to pay attention on what your kid is doing on its free time and what your kid is watching on the television. Generally, kids who are watching too much television are more prone to be depressed than other kids. It is causing different physical symptoms that can lead to depression. So, if your kid is watching too much television, more than 5 or 6 hours per day, it is more prone to develop depression. You should keep that on your mind always.

I agree about all potential causes that other people wrote in here. Yes, watching too many television per day can be a huge problem. But also, you should keep on your mind that kids who are growing up in the family who had some issues with depression are also more prone to develop depression than any other kids. 

Also, if kids is growing up in family who has issues and constant problems, this can also affect the kid. It is important for kid to develop in normal and healthy environment and depression won't be an option. 

Good luck, it is hard to raise the kids!