It's often said that milk is one of the most important nutrients for children, which is why you get milk for free on WIC, and other similar welfare programs in other countries. Can anyone tell me what the actual importance of milk is in brain development? Are there any facts about this available online?

I do know that practically every study that has ever been conducted on the matter shows that breast milk does a lot for brain development, and that breastfed babies have higher IQs than those who were formula fed. This is presumably because, unlike formula, breast milk provides everything that a baby need for a complete nutrition. In relation to cow's milk, I am not sure that it does, in fact, contribute to brain development other than as a source of calcium, which can also be found in other products.