Ive had an eating disorder since age 11, but not to the extent of the past few yrs. In addition to other psychiatric diagnoses, was diagnosed in past 4mo w/ADHD & have been taking 20mg prescribed Adderall XR/day. Im concerned abt my weight but dont know if I should be or not, regardless of what docs tell me. Here are the facts. Should I relax or be concerned abt low weight in ED recovery? Is this normal ?
1. Underweight due to my ED when started taking Adderall. Rapidly lost a few lbs & now have a stable weight, but my BMI = 16.64 (underweight for 25yoF)
2. Stopped obsessing abt food, rarely weigh myself or check my body in the mirror. Eat more & healthier, but not enough to "fulfill my meal plan." Forget to eat or am too busy.
3. Im vegetarian, little dairy. Eat lots of eggs/nuts for protein, soy/almond milk for calcium
3. Docs say electrolytes/other ED labs are fine. Menstruate w/o estrogen/BCP
4. Genetically family is thin-Moms always been underweight & eats healthy/No ED history

So you're mainly concerned with weight too little taking Adderall? It is a stimulant and most people do lose weight, especially if they're genetically inclined to be thin and/or don't consume enough calories. Do you find that ADHD interferes with your daily life? If not, there is no reason to take Adderall. You could also a try a non-stimulant medication for ADHD, or I have heard that DMAE supplements have been shown to help improve concentration, as well as Schizandra fruit.

Hi Cristin, can you tell me a little more about schizandra fruit because I have never heard of it and I'd like to know precisely what it is and what it's used for. I'm curious because it sounds unusual and I had never heard of it or its use before so I'd appreciate it if you could let me know what it is. Thanks!

Shizandra Fruit (sometimes spelled a variety of ways) is a fruit from Asia, long purported for it's medicinal benefits. It's also high in lignans, which it seems like we never get enough of!

Just like other 'alternative' therapies, it hasn't been proven by any blind case study, but people claim that is helps tremendously with concentration, as well as a slew of other ailments, or whatever you choose to call them.