THis is really important! Please help!

I am a 27 yo female, and have been taking adderall on and off for about 6 years. My dosage is currently 25mg daily. I do have ADD, and I get it from my doctor. I would ask him this, and I have, but it seems like they want to push you to keep taking drugs.

I want to stop taking adderall. I want to be free of all drugs, and just be me. It helps me a lot with school and all (I am currently getting my masters degree) but I just dont want it anymore. I feel like my skin isnt looking as good, and I feel thirsty (even though I drink like 4 liters of water a day) and I just feel dependent.

My problem is that I am DEATHLY afraid of gaining weight. I was always a fat kid and a fat teen, and lost a lot of weight before starting adderall, but obviously adderall helped me lose more and I am so happy with my weight now. I am healthy, excercise, and eat well. Its just that if I even go a couple days without adderall i feel fat. Im traumatized when it comes to weight.

What can I do?? Is there is a substitute I can take for a while? Or should I just ween off of it?? What is the best way NOT to gain weight?? THANK YOU!!!

i am 17 years old i have tkn adderall 30 mg since i was 8 and i just stop taking it this summer and i experainced weight gain i used to be 110 pounds then i boosted to 130 but i have dropped 11 pounds in at least 4 weeks from exersicing and eating good and i am sure if u keep exercisen like me at least two times a day for thirty mins u will be ok and stay away from fatty foods trust i went through a depresseion cuz i felt fat and everyone noticed but i started getting fit and going to the gym toooo

Hi there. Im a 26 year old female. I have been in your EXACT situation. I was a sophmore in college and wanted to be prescription drug free...but was also concerned about stopping my medication because of weight gain. I stopped anyhow. My reccomendation to you is DONT stop. Your add isnt going to go away because you stop taking adderall. I know how you feel and I know that wish to be rx drug free but trust me it isnt worth it. I got the first D I had ever gotten in my life. Gained weight about 30lbs. And had issues with my social relationships. Oh and because I quit cold turkey I went through withdrawls like a meth addict. Im back on my pills now and I am happy. I know if you are like me that my opinon wont matter because you just want to get off the "c**p" but trust me you will just end up back on it or your life will spiral downward.

I agree with the post before mine.
My advice, (I have ADHD and I am 30)
DO NOT stop taking this drug. If you
truly need it, then it is not "c**p".
If you feel like you must, then please
wait until after you get your degree.
You will regret it if you stop taking it
now. I tried that and I ended up getting
a promotion in my job. Adderall has set my
life straight. Some people think that this is
an excuse, but ADD is as real as the nose in
front of our faces. PLEASE don't stop taking it.
If you feel like you need to, then at least try
lowering your dosage. I am certain you'll find
that it wasn't what you had initially anticipated.
Good luck with college!!!
~Jennifer

I weened myself off the meds after 5 years recently. I wanted the same outcome--- to feel normal again off the meds. I suffer with ADD/ADHD... and the meds made all the distractions go away- not to mention it made me skinny! Since going off the meds, I am having a hard time concentrating, although I am trying to figure out if the distractions are in my head or if they are in my surroundings. However, with a little dicipline, I have managed. I will tell to that I have put on 20lbs in 6 months (3 months of weening from 30mgs, to 10mgs, to 5mgs, then done). I am not eating healthy, as I finally have an appetite for all the foods I never craved while on the meds. I don't exercise regularly. My skin looks a million times better. My blood pressure in normal. My hair and nails grow quicker. However, it is different for everyone. I hope this helps.

If you really want to quit, simply remember to keep up your good exercise and diet habits and you shouldn't have a problem. Adderall reduces appetite a bit but tolerance to that side-effect does develop. So yep, you can take credit for the weight loss! You might have to work harder to maintain your weight but if you can lose weight NOT on Adderall, you can keep your weight steady.

That said, I really don't recommend quitting. Take a break or cut back for sure, but remember that it helps with all kinds of things, from advancing in your career, to managing personal projects, to driving safely (fun fact: ADHD is associated with 4x higher risk of car accidents and traffic violations).

The benefits are so subtle that they can be hard to see. Do you really notice if you forget where you put your keys 20% more often, or procrastinate 15% longer? Probably not. But these things add up and they can really mess up your life.

My ADHD was diagnosed when I was 16 but it was obvious I had problems way before that. I thought taking drugs for my ADHD, or even getting extra time on tests, was "cheating" for a long time and it made me feel guilty. I didn't see my symptoms in vivo though they were obvious from my grades, and I was smarter than a lot of my classmates, so I thought it kind of balanced out.

I didn't take anything through most of HS and all of undergrad... and now I feel like an id**t for handicapping myself like that. It didn't need to be that hard.

I know it has been a while since you posted. I was in the exact same situation.I felt like I HAD TO GET OFF IT. I finished college and decided it was time. I have gained about 10 lbs since being off adderall. I have been off for about a year. It can be done, while the withdrawal period is terrible. I felt for a few months that I had add 10x worse than when I first got on the meds. However I went cold turkey which I do not recommend. After about 2 months I started on Concerta, its an extended release ritalin. ITS SO MUCH BETTER. While there are still some side effects, they are so much Less. It still curves your appetite some, but you dont have the sallow looking skin, and the constant thirst-- and worst for me was the mood swings I had taking Adderall, those are all gone now! I wish you the best of luck!

I don't know who to believe in this forum. It just seems odd to me that a bunch of people suggest that you never go off it. I have been on Adderall for a little over a year and my agitation is pretty high. I have always been easily annoyed but in the past year it has been a little worse. I really do see all of the benefits from it regarding my concentration, motivation, and ambition but I have to wonder if this is safe. I have wanted to quit but I don't know if it is the right thing to do at this point in my life. I kind of like being as motivated as I am and I like getting things done.

Seriously, I was on Adderall since my freshman year of highschool. I am a senior in college now and i just got off of it 2 months ago. Adderall made my life hell.looking back on it, i don't know why i took it. It ruined my personality.i had really bad anxiety, i never talked, i was rude to others and just had major mood swings. I almost lost my serious bf bc of this drug. it messes with your head way too much i felt like i was pmsing all the time. yeah it helps with school work and helps you concentrate/stay awake but i wasn't long until i was overly obessesing about my weight. I woiuld not eat and i could not stop taking it.
The main reason why i stopped taking adderall is this, two months ago, sitting in english class(we were reading paragraphs and i dont like reading outloud, i got really nervous) my heart started pounding really hard i could feel everywhere where blood pressure points are. and hear it. this really freaked me out. i thought i was about to have a heart attack or stroke.Since then my blood pressure has gone down and i finally feel like my old self again.l see a difference, and others around me do too. I WILL NEVER take adderall ever again. yeah i've gained 7 pounds but who cares no more dry mouth! I'm not going to depend on a drug that causes serious health problems

Wow...I'm in the same situation. I'm about to turn 30 and I've been on various dosages of Adderall for the past 13 years. I'm currently prescribed 30mg (time release) and 20mg (immediate release). I am also on wellbutrin - 450 mg. I'm in the process of stopping my adderall b/c, despite the positive effect it has had on my studying and concentration, I just know it cannot be good for me in the long run. Among other things, I'm worried about the damage it may be causing to my liver. It's an amphetamine...I'm not a doctor, but from personal experience, I know that the effects of this prescribed 'narcotic' is not much different from speed and/or cocaine.

I also relate to the post before mine...I have mood swings. I lash out at the people who care most about me. I shut myself in and shun regular social interaction. I had reading and speaking aloud b/c of my dry mouth --- even when I'm not anxious about speaking, it sounds like I am b/c I am constantly clearing my throat. My voice would break up so much that people often thought I was about to cry (when I was absolutely fine). It's hard for to focus on what I'm saying b/c I am too busy thinking about how I sound.

I lost a 5 year relationship b/c of my overall change in attitude. I was miserable to be around - period.

I'm a bit concerned by the people on this board who suggest that you should not quit this drug. The mere fact that you thought about quitting leads me to believe it would probably be a good decision. If you quit - at least for a while - you'll be able to know firsthand if you need the drug or not.

Like so many of you mentioned, I too dread the thought of weight gain. I suffered eating disorders all throughout high school/college and I still struggle. Adderall managed my food for me - my food intake was low and in turn, I stopped purging, etc. I lost some weight, but I also lost desire to workout. I'm not fat, but as a former athelete, I can assure you I am out of shape!!

I've been off the medication for a little over a week and I feel so much more clear-headed. Instead of worrying about gaining weight, I am focusing my energy on getting back into shape. I hadn't worked out in a year and this past week, I've worked out 5 days (eek I'm sore...but it feels good). The zest for life is coming back - slowly of course...but it's coming back. I am even thinking about taking rock climbing lessons. In short, I am starting to feel more like a human and less like a drone.

Take my experience for what you will...everyone is different. I'm hoping I'll stay away from adderall, but I can't make any promises...it's a very alluring drug.

I have been taking adderall for 4 or 5 years now. It has been ABSOLUTELY AMAZING when it comes to my grades. But like others have said, it changed me... I became rude, irritable, uncomfortable talking, and it also became harder for me to exercise because I felt my heart would explode. Socially I don't like it at all. I'm a pretty goofy person with a rather bubbly personality. My friends love it when I don't take my adderall, but my grades go down hill... and quick. I also find that when I stop taking the adderall for a couple of days I binge, and pretty bad. However, I find that the huge increase in my appetite only lasts a few days, then it simmers back down. What I have done, is cut my prescription to half of what i was originally taking (40mg to 20mg), and now I take St. John's Wart with it. The St. John's Wart has helped me be me again. I don't feeling like I'm PMSing all the time anymore, and I feel comfortable talking in class again. As for the weight thing... I also over indulged as a kid, so it has been a good control on my appetite. I have a pretty good body, but I have to seriously pay attention to my appetite when I'm off the adderall. In fact my body is really similar to Britney Spears', when I'm not over-eating I look good (and not too skinny), but when I'm off it I gain weight in my thighs and stomach.

Although I agree that the adderall may be doing damage to the body, I think if you are able to find a way for the adderall to socially work for you (like I did with the St. John's wort) then it would be more beneficial for you in the long run to continue using it.. You may tack off a couple years at the end of your life, but by taking it, your overall life will be of better quality.

i think it's quite ironic that the previous post stated they were recently off their medicine...but the posting went on and on about topics that were conpletly OFF the subject i.e. their workout sucess...Maybe you need to be back on the medicine!!!

I am no longer in college and therefore I am unable to get my perscription for Adderall and I am miserable!!! Try living with the SAMe stresses but without your blinders and THAT, my friend, is HELL!!!!

Maybe try cutting your dosage down but I would never recomend quitting...for people like us, we just need a little "something" LEGAL to help us get through a day NORMALLY!!!!

Wow, I'm happy I found this forum! I've been on Add XR for about two years, but I'm thinking of getting pregnant, so I wanted to get off the medicine. I stopped taking it about a week ago and have noticed a HUGE increase in my appetite - to the point that I was actually starting to think I might already be pregnant. Is this normal?? I'm talking waking up at 4 a.m. and wanting to go scarf down a sandwich - I have never had an appetite like that, even before I went on Adderall. Also, my skin has broken out like crazy. Has anyone else experienced that? Coupled with my old lack of concentration, I am considering going back on a reduced dosage until I actually do get pregnant. Any thoughts?

I'm so glad I found this forum! I have seriously started to ween myself off of Adderall 275mg to 60 mg. I don't know if the Add's changed me or if i just changed but i was an extremely social person, loved being around people, etc. Now, I am so antisocial...it's hard to even go to the store. I've lost a lot of friends because I don't want to be around people anymore. Also, I gained about 35 pound over the past year and a half ~ since I've slowly decreased my dosage. Thinking about the "real" me or the "old" me...even I don't recognize myself anymore. I have been to the doctor to test my thyroid and now he says I have hypothyroid (the slow one) which maybe could have been caused by Adderall??? I really feel that Adderall makes people gain weight if you take it for a while.

Hi there - I originally replied to this post on 2/1/10. I think someone (a few posts above) implied that I needed to go back on my medication because I seemingly veered off topic when I started to talk about my workout. I just wanted to point out that the original poster was concerned about "gaining weight" when coming off of the drug - if you read my post, I was trying to explain that I found I had more natural energy once I was off the medication and in turn, I was able to work out more - which in turn, helped to combat the "weight gain" the original poster so feared. I am also curious as to why that same poster could not get adderall because he/she was no longer in college? Was it an insurance issue? If not, I've been taking the medication since I was in my late teens and I am now 30 - I haven't been in college since I was 22/23.

Anyhoo...it is reassuring to know that there are so many like-minded individuals out there. Like one of the more recent posters stated, I, too, have been described as being bubbly, slightly goofy, intelligent, fun - unfortunately those qualities seem to disappear when I'm on adderall simply because I become less social. After recently coming off the medication, everyone from my mother to my friends have commented on my seemingly increased levels of happiness. I've been going out a lot more with friends. I've even met several new friends and have gone on - gasp - dates. Ha-ha! I've been working out 5-6 days/week and started rock-climbing. I also signed up for an Outward Bound trip scheduled several months away - that will help motivate me to stay in shape. Again, I post these "workout" comments simply because I hardly ever exercised on adderall- now I seem to have more natural energy (which is a whole lot different than stimulant energy).

With all that said, I'm still struggling with concentration and despite my workout regime, I have gained several pounds. The weight gain and my somewhat inability to focus has tempted me to ring my doctor, but I’m going to hold off for a while, since my general mental health is in such a good place in comparison to where it had been.

I could definitely use some support in my journey – whether I stay off adderall or choose to go back on it – so if anyone wants to exchange emails, etc…please feel free to send me a message. Like I said in my previous post, I’m definitely not a doctor, so while my decision to go off my meds may be the right (or wrong) one for me, it may not be the right decision for someone else.