hi everyone, im a 18 year old female who has been suffering from bulimia since i was 12 years old. these past 2 years have been the worst though..binging and purging over 20 times a day :-(..Anyways about a year ago i got into using drugs too...and one day ended up experimenting with adderall..i was amazed it totally made my bulimia go away..i was on it and by that i mean i bought it...for 3 months straight this past june july and august...i never went over 60 mg. i usually took two 20mg pills a day. It totally helped my impulsiveness which was also great because it helped me not OD on the stuff..Anyways in September i moved away from everyone and currently have not been on the drug. My b/p is getting worse and worse like it was before.I even ended up telling my mom when i was using adderall and she was mad at first but realized how much it helped me..SO I went to the Doc and was straight up with him on how it helped me so much..he thought i was a crazy addict and didnt help me at all. Recently i went to a new doc and faked ADHD..first he gave me strattera which did nothing and then bumped me up to concerta which also does nothing..Anyone know how i can get him to switch me to adderall? Or has anyone ever been treated for bulimia/depression with adderall? It would really help me if i knew others out ther beat this disease/disorder with that medication. thanks alot

No, but this is interesting to me.. as I have been throwing up up to 20 times a day the last 23 years... I have overcome illegal drugs trying to stop the bulimia ( have not used in 9 years).. but the bulimia has always prevailed. I have been diagnosed as Borderline and Bi Polar and been on countless anti depressants, and mood stabilizers and several monthly in patient and current outpatient weekly therapy... my Dr. want s me to try Lamictal, but I am hesitant.. I don't want to attempt another anxiety, aggression producing mood stabilizer, when I believe I should try another route such as a treatment for ADD.. this has gotten so bad that I am now on med leave from work as a Restaurant Manager where my focus s so lost and multi tasking comes easy, but finishing a project is hard.. plus the bulimia gets in the way.. please help

Sorry I don't know how you can get adderal for this other than to visit a psychiatrist and lay out the whole story. Is that where you went before, or just a general practitioner? I ask because I met and talked with a girl once who said she took adderall to treat her bulimia. She said from the very first dose she knew what "normal" felt like. She said it was wonderful to help deal with and control the impulses. She acted as though her psychiatrist specifically put her on this for bulimia. Maybe dealing with a psychiatrist would cut straight to the chase. Hope that helps.

Hi everyone im the one who posted the original post.. Yes i did go to a psych and i told him everything with bulimia/depression and how adderall had helped me feel normal..he was the one who just thought i was crazy. So going to a new dr. i didnt want to risk it and i just faked adhd..Wow id love to get the name of the Dr who put ur friend on it for an eating disorder..it would make me feel so much better then trying to sneak around. thanks so much for al your replies!!

hey this might be a little late to respond but it relates to me. i have struggled with bulimia for the past 5 years and i am about to turn 20. it has ruined my life as i am sure anyone with an addiction will know. this past summer i went to rehab for the 2nd time in 2 years hoping to finally kick the habit. when i was there i tried to get the psychiatrist to prescribe me adderall because i had tried it during school that year unprescribed and saw it was like a miracle drug that instantly made me feel great and stopped my urges. anyways the phsych. looked at me like i was crazy and said NO b/c it was a stimulant...soooo he gave me stratera....which didnt help at all it just made my blood pressure go wayyy up. anyways i got out of treatment and went back to school this fall only to end up dropping out b/c i just stopped taking my meds and the bulimia & depression had come back 10x worse(if that was even possible). about a month ago my mom read this article in a magazine about brain scans and how they have helped eating disorder patients find the right combinations of meds to take. so i ended up finding a psychiatrist who does the brain scans and when the results came back it showed i had signs of ADD and a stimulant would work best so he prescribed me adderall FINALLY. so i am/was supper pumped. i recently started taking it. it helped the first couple days a lot and i didnt even binge/purge which was amazing for me. BUT it has serious side effects like seizures and heart palpitations if you use it while still binging/purging(and i still am) which is really freaking me out because i could easily have a seizure and die. i am starting to think if it is really worth it b/c all i am doing is replacing the bulimia w/another drug or addiction to pills. its like a band aid....not a solution to fix my real problems.

i know that was long but all i am saying is yes, adderall will help you feel better and more productive but the risks that come with it are questionable as to whether it is worth it or not. Any smart psychiatrist would never prescribe a patient with an eating disorder a stimulant for these reasons....i guess i just found a dumb psychiatrist haha. good luck with everything.

hi- it sounds like i am in a similar situation to everyone else... i am almost 20, and have been dealing with severe bulimia for the past 2 years (at least 20 times a day). i used to take adderol in order to fast, but now im taking a combo of adderal and prozac and finding the bulimia has comp disapeared.
the only 2 problems are a.) i dont always take it every day, because some mornings i wake up knowing i want to b/p and i know the adderal will interfere, and b.) my tolerance to the stuff has increased so much that i have to take 60mg at a time for it to even work.
but i have to say, its better to be strung out on adderal than b/p all day!

i can't believe i found this discussion. I have been bulimic for about 6 months and recently sought treatment. I bought adderal from a friend because i knew it was an appetite suppressant and had a suspicion that i would loose weight on it and maybe stop b/p-ing. It worked so so so so so well. I felt so normal. I didn't even skip meals, i just ate like a regular human being and i didn't once binge and purge when i was on it. I just started prozac and don't take the adderal as much anymore, but i really think they should investigate it as a serious option for bulimics. I'm so glad i've gotten confirmation that other bulimics take this.

I have been bulimic for 6 years and I have been through therapy, group sessions, nutritionist and books......nothing seems to help.....adderall helped when I was in high school.....my thing is that I don't want to be dependent on drugs like my mother...I know that bulimics have very addictive personalities......I would like to take adderal while doing things with out patient care.....that way I can knock out the addiction all together....but how will i find a doctor that will agree?

Wow, did it feel good to read about so many other people in my situation. I suffered from Bulimia from age 13-24. I b/p-ed anywhere from 3-10 times/day. It affected my schooling, social life, and not to mention health and teeth. My parents and myself have spent thousands on dental bills. I've had two tooth implants and might need more down the road due to the damage already done. All I can say is Adderall gave me my life back. I wouldnt care what any doctor told me. It has saved me and my health...the side affects of adderall cannot be worse than what I was doing to my body. I started getting it from a friend to help in school, and that's when I realized how well it worked for my eating disorder. I finally got a doctor to put me on it when I got out of college and was working and taking some classes. I told them I used to be on it in college...which is half true(I never had a prescription) and that it helped and I wanted to go back on it. That's all it took for me, thank God. The way I look at it, I know my body better than anyone and not all doctor's are right. I think they are just trying to cover themselves from being sued if something did happen to someone who misused it. I don't over use adderall(I take 40 mg of the XR or timereleased/day) I eat regular, healthy meals. Even when I am not too hungry, I try not to skip meals so my metabolism doesnt stop working. I hear that anyone who goes off of adderall gains weight pretty quick but I believe thats because they dont eat enough when they are on it. Also, my cholesterol used to be through the roof because of all the fast food I used to eat. I don't have those cravings or impulses like I used to. I can actually keep money in my bank account because I'm not spending it on food. I can focus on tasks at hand. I believe I would have lost my job if I didn't get on adderall. I used to always be tired, drained, sick, and couldnt think of anything else but food and my next binge. Just a year later, and after trying EVERY kind of treatment for an eating disorder out there, this has been it for me. I dealt with the underlying issues as well but Adderall helps with the impulses and just 10 yr habit I know everyone's situation is different. This is just my story. Good luck to everyone, but do what you need to, to get your life back. If that's lying to doctor after doctor, and you don't plan on abusing the drug, go for it.

I have been bulimic for 17 years, since age 14. I fortunately have not had any serious affects on my health so far. I'm sure the long term damage of my disease will eventually turn up. I am having a harder time purging now,. I literally have to shove nearly my whole hand down my throat and scrunch down so my stomach will bring up the food easier. For the first few years of my disease I was very secretive about it, even hiding pales of vomit in my bedroom closet and disposing of them on my way to school. I felt crazy and out of control. It sounds so gross and it is if you do not understand the disease. My parents found out about it about 2 years into my disease and because of lack of knowledge and their own personal problems I did not receive any treatment. Now I'm less secretive I am upfront with my boyfriends and I have the ability to do it when I want because I am an adult and live in my own house. I feel like I'm locked in this prison and can not escape. I do not want to be like this forever. Any ways I have been on several medications, ranging from anti-depressants, anti-anxiety, mood stabilizers, and adderall. The drug that has helped the most is the adderall. It has not cured me, but it has helped I read about the treatment somewhere told my Dr. about it and he put me on it,but the Dr. can't tell the insurance company that they are using it for bulimia or they probably won't cover it.

:-P
There is hope out there for all! I suffered from a serious case of bulimia from 15-24. Vomiting 15+ times a day, etc. When I was not b/p, I was not eating. I felt hopeless. My doctor put me on Topamax back in 2004. She had heard they were test running it with bulimics. Well, it is not a stimulant, but it is an anti-seizure medicine. It took away my need to b/p. Doctors have now started to use it for bulimics. I know I will never go off it. It has been 4 years now. I have actually lost weight by eating healthy and taking care of myself. I don't feel the urge to purge anymore.

Topamax works.

I went to a therapist and told her I felt I may have add. She said I should not diagnose myself. Hey! If I have a headache can I self diagnose? I am just sick of these therapists! I am so sick with either the bulimia or the struggle of thinking about it over and over and fatigue and stress. I need help I need help. I want to try the bare minimum of adderall. Maybe it will help. Lexapro sure didn't it had the opposite effect and I seem to meet all criteria of add. So why not try? I don't have insurance though and I can't afford to try to get a rx over and over again. What should I do? I don't want to lie and I want to legitimately solve my situation but I also want to try adderall I feel it may really help me. Advice on how to get adderall?

It seems that Adderall would help so many people with Bulimia!
I think it's sad and frustrating that doctors won't prescribe the drug for people who are so clearly suffering. Blame it on our 'war on drugs' or the DEA that harass doctors to the point they're terrified to even provide patients with adequate pain relief. Frankly, I don't want the government in my medicine cabinet, in the doctor's office with me, and DON'T need them to tell me what to put or not put in my body.

ALL medications have side effects! I can think of many drugs that have worse side effects than Adderall. Effexor was the worst drug I have ever taken! Withdrawal from it will damn near kill you! *However*, the medical folks call it "discontinuation syndrome". HA! I'll be on Effexor for the rest of my life because of this so-called 'syndrome' (a neat name for withdrawal). So by definition, isn't this addiction? My body is addicted to Effexor. So the 'potential for addiction' regarding Adderall & similars is not a good enough reason to deny the med for someone who would so greatly be helped by it. It's benefits vs. risks.

I hope the drug companies are doing research on treating eating disorders with Adderall and/or similar drugs! It would help so many young women (and men) who suffer with this DEBILITATING illness. I can guarantee you if Bulimia/eating disorders were primarily a MALE problem it would not be an issue! They hand out Viagra like candy and most insurance will pay for it. Not so for most birth control.

I am a professional organizer who works with people who suffer from lifelong battles with disorganization, mostly stemming from AD/HD. The majority of my clients have issues revolving around food, in addition to suffering from depression, anxiety and other health issues. I myself was bulimic for 25 years, until I discovered at a CHADD conference that my eating disorder was secondary to having undiagnosed ADD. Talk about life altering! Relief and grief, both at the same time. I attended a lecture by Dr. Roberto Olivardia, clinical professor of psychology at Harvard, who not only has ADD himself, but he treats ADD patients who have eating disorders, and he says he has so many patients whose bulimia remits completely as soon as they begin their medication for AD/HD. Bulimia is so closely related to levels of serotonin and dopamine levels in the brain, and medications, especially anti-depressants like Zoloft can be quite effective in stabilizing brain chemicals to reduce the urge to b/p. I currently take a combination of Zoloft and Adderall, and my bulimia disappeared with the first day of taking medication. I'm not saying it can be that easy for everyone, but please find out if you may have ADD first. There are millions of undiagnosed adults in this country dealing with what they feel are issues of depression, anxiety and sleep disorders, when in fact, they may dealing with the fallout of a lifelong struggle with ADD. Please let me know if I can provide any help to you. I know the shame and guilt, and I am happy to share my experiences with anyone who might want to know more about my experiences. Hang in there, all of you!

I have just turned 40 and have been bulimic for 13 years. B/P 1-10 times a day. I don't know what ADD feels like. I am scatterbrained and have a hard time focusing on one thing at a time. I've been on and off anti- depressants for years. Been to counselors and psychiatrists... off and on forever. I have been on Prozac 30mg and Welbutrin XR 100mg for a couple years but I am always sooooo tired. If i try to get off the Prozac, all i do is yawn and want to sleep. I honestly don't think i am depressed but without the meds I want nothing to do with life (no motivation) besides food...B/P.

A friend gave me 10mg of Adderall today for the first time and I felt normal. I didn't feel an overwhelming urge to go to the store, buy some fatty, sugary food and then find a place to throw it up. I want to talk to my doc about it but am not sure what she will say. Should i fake ADD? Or am i ADD?? I can't ever sit still. I always feel like i have to do something... and do it... anything... until it is time to sleep... all i have to do is roll over and within 2 minutes, I'm asleep. For 8 hours at least... then i yawn all day the next day... I am so sick of the cycle. (Not sick enough to stop though, huh?!) Could Adderall be a light at the end of my tunnel? *hope*