My boyfriend is on methadone and has been for a couple of years. We both want to try for a baby but I am worried he may be infertile as I have heard methadone makes a man infertile. Is this true? And if it is, will he only be infertile while he is on methadone? Will his fertility go back to normal when he comes off it?

I am an adult male that has been on methadone for over one year my wife is pregnant and quickly pregnant. I started using vitadone which helps sugar cravings subside and also helps the sterilrity issue but if he is on a high dose than he will probably continue to be sterile. im curently at 62 mg daily another thing the consistancy of this medication could be an issue as well. pot will also ruin the chance of getting pregnant as well. I hope this helps a little.

Sorry to hear your story and do wish you the best. Methadone indeed does cause male infertility regardless of what one persons personal experience may be. Short term use which is less than 2 years, in lower doses below 100 mgs a day can certainly allow for the possiblilty of a rare spontaneous pregnancy, but if the person has been using going over 2 years, I guarantee the methadone is effecting the male users fertility. Methadone effects the HPA axis of the brain-basically the hypothalamus and as you may know, all sex hormones necessary to sperm production are produced there. What this means is that methadone acts as a huge football team blocking the patrons from exiting the front door of the store to go to their homes! The hormones cannot get out because methadone is blocking their exodus! The brain of a methadone user is eventually unable to produce fsh, hcg, testosterone, neurotransmitters or any other hormone necessary for sperm production, sex and sense of wellbeing. I know, as I have a 7 year old son and he was born 1 year before having to take methadone. I was on 35 mgs for 5 years and decided to quit to have a baby naturally because it effected my hormones and sperm quality. Have been off a week now. If you need any information on herbs, supplements and other things that will help your boyfriend quit with little to no withdrawal, do let me know. I understand your post was a year ago, I only hope this helps and was not too late. Good luck!

Sorry to hear your story and do wish you the best. Methadone indeed does cause male infertility regardless of what one persons personal experience may be. Short term use which is less than 2 years, in lower doses below 100 mgs a day can certainly allow for the possiblilty of a rare spontaneous pregnancy, but if the person has been using going over 2 years, I guarantee the methadone is effecting the male users fertility. Methadone effects the HPA axis of the brain-basically the hypothalamus and as you may know, all sex hormones necessary to sperm production are produced there. What this means is that methadone acts as a huge football team blocking the patrons from exiting the front door of the store to go to their homes! The hormones cannot get out because methadone is blocking their exodus! The brain of a methadone user is eventually unable to produce fsh, hcg, testosterone, neurotransmitters or any other hormone necessary for sperm production, sex and sense of wellbeing. I know, as I have a 7 year old son and he was born 1 year before having to take methadone. I was on 35 mgs for 5 years and decided to quit to have a baby naturally because it effected my hormones and sperm quality. Have been off a week now. Also, your friend will rebound and his fertility will improve in 4 to 8 weeks after quitting. Methadone does not cause permanent damage so hang in there. If you need any information on herbs, supplements and other things that will help your boyfriend quit with little to no withdrawal, do let me know. I understand your post was a year ago, I only hope this helps and was not too late. Good luck!

beaunk7 if you could contact me or let me know more info about coming of methadone with little withdrawals that would be great. My bf has been on methadone for 2 years and they have him at 210mg. He wants to decrease but they keep increasing him because of his stomach issues. Not sure if I can leave my email on here or not but let me know cuz he really wants to get off it.

as someone who has been on methadone for several years I am curious as how you came off methadone with no withdrawls! That is a dream to those who are on methadone, well to me atleast. Please do tell what n how you did it?

can u please share how you came off methadone without withdrawls, I too am on methadone and am worried it is affecting our chances of conceiving! I would love to get off!

Hi I would like to know what you took to get off of methadone without having withdrawal because my boyfriend has no sex drive and in a couple of years we want to have another baby please let me know

thank you

i have been on 20 to 30 mg a day for a little over 2 years now i havent been able to get my fiance pregnant any ideas how i can get off this stuff without the no sleep for so many days and the mean withdrawals? please anything that helps is welcome

i am also trying to have a baby with my fiance and we have tried basically everything and we are not sure if it is him or me??? he has been on methadone for a year 55mg. he is blind dosing now but i dont want to have to wait too much longer im 26 and hes 29. i have 4 kids with my x and not even trying. i am very fertile but we have been trying for 4 mo now and nothing...i really need help because my clock is ticking...lol

I know this is an old post but I'm just wondering if after you quit the methadone to try to have another baby if you had any success? My boyfriend and I have been trying but he was also having problems. He has been off methadone for about 2 mnths now.

i am 28, my husband is 39. We both have children aged 6 an 8 respectively from previous relationships. We have been ttc since feb 2012 after i removed my implanon. He is on 100mg methadone, four 2mg Xanax daily, and 1 Sustanon 250 injection every 3 mths. He is slowly reducing from the first two, As well as giving up smoking marijuana. I am not on any medications. Is there hope for us? Please help us. Thank youp.sp.s

II know exactly what your going through. Me and my wife were trying to have a baby . I've been on methadone for four years now . Once we stopped trying my wife got pregnant we are now 13 weeks pregnant

My Husband has been on methadone for the last 2 years, we have 4 Beautiful kids together! We had our kids before he got on the methadone. Now we have been ttc for a little over a year now and no luck, I know I'm fertile because I have 4 kids and they are stepping ages, 7-6-5-3 So I'm pretty sure its not me and its the Medicine that he is on!!! I would like for him to get off of it as well! Thank YOu

ihi you dont know who i am my name is krystle me and my husband wanted a baby so we have been trying and now we are worried because we both are taking methadone and i have been reading about people not being able to get pregnant and that it makes them infertile is there anything we can do to get off of it without withdrawling and we can try to have a baby please let me know of any ideas thank you i was replying to your post cause you had said something about herbs supplements and other things that will help us quit and with little withdrawl please. thank you and have a great day. 

***Post is edited by moderator *** Private e-mails not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use