I heard that when a person wants to get of heroin, s/he uses methadone as it relieves those hard withdrawal symptoms from heroin addiction. Is there anybody who can tell me how this methadone works and why it is used for withdrawal symptoms?

Withdrawal symptoms from heroin are harsh, and unbearable that most addicts don’t make it just because of this pain. Methadone helps them experience less severe effects like this: Heroin releases an excess of dopamine in the body and causes users to need an opiate continuously occupying the opioid receptor in the brain. Methadone occupies this receptor and is the stabilizing factor that permits addicts on methadone to change their behavior and to discontinue heroin use. Methadone reduces the cravings associated with heroin use and blocks the high from heroin, but it does not provide the euphoric rush. Consequently, methadone patients do not experience the extreme highs and lows that result from the waxing and waning of heroin in blood levels. In the end, the patient remains physically dependent on the opioid, but is freed from the uncontrolled and disruptive behavior seen in heroin addicts. Withdrawal from methadone is much slower than that from heroin. As a result, it is possible to maintain an addict on methadone without harsh side effects. Methadone brings about a biochemical balance in the body.

I dont know anything about heroin at all. But I do know that I had taken some methadone from a friend to gain energy, not knowing that it was used to ease withdrawls from heroin. I just took 20mg. a day for one year and just got off of it and from all the facts I have read, I understand that if your friend tries to stop the methadone it is harder to come off of that than heroin. I know for a fact how hard it is to go through the meth withdrawls but i did it I just lowered the dose by about 1 mg per day and then started making the days longer that I had to have some I would recommend her not getting hooked on another drug and just praying and asking god to help ease the withdrawls, just have faith and it will work If I can do it I know she can

Yes methadone is used to put heroin addicts on. They can monitor the dose of methadone you are on and bring you down to zero with little or no withdrawl effects. But because of politics, healthcare systems and private clinics methadone is often misused. I got on methadone to get off of heroin and if I knew then what I know now I would have kicked the 3 days of heroin pain and week worth of depression of heroin rather than get on methadone. I got on 4 years ago at a PRIVATE clinic which is a big no no.. its cost 13 dollars a day to dose. no insurance is accepted or state funding. My clinic doesnt have any kind of meetings to help with addiction or anything of that sort. they start you on 30 milligrams and up until recently would let patients go up as high as 300mgs. the game was to stay 5 mgs ahead of what you needed to take to get that nod feeling all day. People would also get high doses and spit most of it out. so when their time came they could get take outs last on one bottle for the week and sell the rest it goes for 50 cents a milligram on the streets. The clinic I am at likes to maintain their patients so to go up or stay at a dose is very easy but when its time to try to go down getting them to put the order into the dr its like trying to get an act from god. now im on a 100 mgs a day and IM thinking about kicking it. Ive heard peoples experiences of being thrown in jail and feeling the withdraw effects for up to 6 months though I dont know their dose. I now want to go into a detox rehab center and try to kick the hundred milligrams a day cold turkey. but in 4 years Ive never let the with drawl symptoms get extremely bad before my next dose so I dont know how bad the pain of it gets.. I am assured I will have alot of problems with sleep if I go this way but Im so over it I dont care put me somewhere safe and let me kick it out.. *Only cause the rehab I can get into refuses to detox on using methadone* so it will be cold turkey as soon as I get into detox. I wont mind the pain if it only last a week and if the rest of the withdraw symptoms are just no sleep and depression for a few months Ill be happy to take it compared to what the long term use of my methdone has created. Ill continue taking my prozac and siniquan which im Rxed right now i just dont take cause of the methadone.
if anyone has any step by step of what they felt stopping methadone cold turkey id love some in put .. im at 100 mgs a day.

im at 90 mg and i recently went to jail for a week.it wasnt as bad as kicking heroine but it was drawn out and i didnt kick completely,i didnt sleep more than 15 min at a time and i got head rushes every time i got up. i didnt throw up but by the time i got out i was feeling like i was getting there. no diarea either. i felt weak and tired and i felt the crawling in my bones. i hear that the 7 and 8 and 9 day are the hardest. im going to quit cold turkey too. im starting tues. im 29 and have been on for 7 years. im 120 lbs. ive kicked heroine b4 but ive never gone past 7 days of kicking meth. i just found out im pregnant 5 weeks and i wanted to go down and get off b4 the baby gets big and they wont decrease my dose. they want me to go higher. ive heard alot of horrible things about babies born addicted to meth and i dont want my baby to go through that. i kicked heroine cold turkey when i was 8 weeks pregnant with my daughter. methadone is just drawn out. the symptoms last longer. but like i said by the 7 day i was ready to puke. not sure if i actually would have or if i was just nautious. good luck. i would taper down first with your take homes then stop. thats what im going to do. im going to take half my dose then lower by 5 mg until im at 5 then quit cold turkey. u can do it just keep urself entertained and keep ur mind busy. u have to b strong willed.

If you choose methadone to withdrawal off of illicit narcotics, it's only to ensure that your trading your illicit drug for a licit one which guarantees what the actual narcotic is. People say that they're addicted to heroin and that may be true but often the Heroin is many analogues of morphine which is a dirty unsterile mess. When you go on methadone, it's not illicit and has a known quantity and value.This is then something a practitioner can actually use as reliable data. You can now know for sure what your getting and know where you stand.Methadone is just a synthetic narcotic. It is about as potent as Morphine but it has a long half-life.Tapering off methadone has to be done with care. 5mg every 5 or 6 days until the last 5 mg. Then 1mg every 5 days.

Being addicted to drugs and being sexually active you should have been on birth control if you were so concerned about "the horrible things" you'd heard about babies being born addicted to a drug that its mother can't even spell, 7 years its been crippling your life and you can't even spell it correctly,  you should be forced to take birth control before getting your methadone and of you don't take it you simply don't get your meth, you know exactly how it feels to withdraw, you described it in detail, you also know that some adults going through withdrawals can't cope with it and commit suicide IT'S THAT BAD!! and yet you are going to do that not only to 1 child but 2 innocent little babies who's first experience of life will be excruciating pain but without the understanding to know what's going on,

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** inappropriate posting*** Please read our Terms of Use

Start helping yourself and your children. It's you who's keeping yourself in this rut. I'm not judging those who just made a mistake and is trying their best to rectify it good on you and stay strong, your life is right around the corner waiting for you with open arms but for those who take their meth to get high or swap it for street drugs instead of so they can get up and go to work or look after their children, you need to get a grip because your not trying to help yourself so why should I work all my life to pay to help you destroy yourself and your family.