IVE BEEN ON METHADONE FOR 3 YRS. IM SWITCHING OVER TO SUBOXONE WHILE ON 30 MGS OF METH. AM I GONNA BE REAL SICK? I STILL HAVE TO WORK AND TAKE CARE OF 2 CHILDREN ALONE. I HAVE NO FAMILY HERE TO HELP ME. HOW LONG WILL I BE SICK APPROX?

Be careful, my boyfriend just did that and ended up so sick he relapsed and is now getting BACK on meth. He was clean for 3 yrs, so I'm afraid the mental impact of a relapse will hurt him long after he's "straight" again. Just be careful. Make SURE you have a doctor/clinic that CARES if you're sick, and make sure you're ready to deal with withdrawal if you get it. GOOD LUCK and God bless.

HOW SICK WILL SOMEONE BE GOING OFF OPIATES WITH SUBOXONE?

Don't be afraid of switching to suboxone from methadone, it doesn't work for people still gettting high. You do have to go through a few days of detox from your methadone, but nothing compared to being dope sick. If you do it the right way, you may be uncomfortable for a day or 2, but then when you take the suboxone you will feel better. good luck

Okay, first off - you won't be sick for 2 days. I've done this before, and you only have to be in mild to moderate withdrawal to start Suboxone from methadone. My old Suboxone doctor made me wait 48 after my last dose of methadone, which means one day of being sick since methadone lasts 24 to 36 hours of that 48 hours. My new suboxone doctor told me to dose today, skip my methadone dose tomorrow, and wait another 8 to 12 hours after the time I would normally dose tomorrow, so I'm not really gonna get that sick at all. I'll be well from my dose this morning until tomorrow morning, so it's actually only gonna be like 8 to 12 hours of being sick. And if you actually take the time between the methadone and suboxone, the suboxone will make you feel better right away. If you don't wait long enough, THAT is when you get sick. The suboxone will push out anything that's blocking your opiate receptors in your brain. So, if you haven't waited long enough, the methadone will still be blocking your opiate receptors, and then you take the Suboxone, and it goes up there and pushes the methadone off the opiate receptors because it is stronger and binds tighter to those opiate receptors. So, once it fights the methadone and pushes it out of the way, there's not enough suboxone left (because it worked so hard against the methadone) to fill the open opiate receptors. THAT is why you get sick. You have to wait, go through mild to moderate withdrawal for a few hours to KNOW that your opiate receptors are open. And trust me, waiting through mild withdrawal is WAY easier, because when you take the Suboxone too soon, you will go through the WORST WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS OF YOUR LIFE. And, because the Suboxone binds tighter to the receptors than methadone or heroin or oxy or whatever else, NOTHING YOU TAKE, SHOOT UP, SMOKE, SNORT, OR USE will get that Suboxone out of the way. You just have to wait it out.
So - make sure you wait the amount of time your DOCTOR tells you to before switching from methadone to Suboxone. I reccommend making a Friday your last dose of methadone, skip Saturday and be sick, and start the Suboxone either Saturday NIGHT or Sunday morning, depending on the time frame your doctor gives to between doses.
GOOD LUCK.

I just switched over from methahdone to suboxone.I was on meth for almost 4 years and as of last week I was at 25 mg.What I did was in one week went from 25 to 10 mg.Then I waited 30 hours in little discomfort then took my first dose of sub.The first day all I had was little chills and the tired feeling.My doc gave me some ambien so I took that the first night and slept fine.The second day I woke up feeling great then as the day went on I got a little tired but felt fine.Today is day four and as my doc says after the first 3 days the worst is behind you.I never got sick or anything like that.So what I am telling anyone who is worried about it if you get your meth dose down far enough you should be fine.The key to it for me was getting down to 10mgs then going over to suboxone.I have never fely better.Good luck and stick it out it wont be that bad.

TML2803, I know they say that 30 is the magic number but if I was you I would get down lower to smooth the transition for you.Take one extra week and try to get around 10 mgs and it will go better for you.

I was very disappointed with suboxone . After you have to go cold turkey for 24 hours. When you finally get the sub it works for the first day and then lo and behold you need more than your prescribed of the sub and the next two or three days it looses all of its effects.

Whatever you do never take suboxone until the methedone is completely out of your system! You will experience terrible withdrawl symtoms. Consult closely with your Doctor.
I succesfully weaned off of methedone only after it was out of my system I used suboxone to help me. Get down to 10mg of methadone, wait 48 hours then take the suboxone. The suboxone was very helpfull for me. Good luck.

I am just coming off of a 7 day detox from Methadone. Let me tell you it has been hell!! I was on 150mgs. But Im here to say it can be done, im very uncomfortable, anxious, irritable, and man more crazy emotions. I have started Suboxone, but for me I cant really tell if its working or not.. I guess I have A long haul ahead.. huh...

I was on 30mg of methadone when I switched. I got down to 30 pretty quickly, say like 20mg that week. I only waited 36 hours after my last methadone dose because I thought I was sick enough. Then I went through like 12 hours of withdrawal, very bad stomach cramps but not much else, but fell asleep after taking a total 16mg of suboxone. When I woke up the next morning I was fine and have been on suboxone for a year now.

I have a question if some one can help maybe you've experienced the same thing. I have been on Suboxone for 7 months and relaped and took methadone for about a day and a half, which was so stupid because I didnt really get any thing out of it. But my question is....Do i still have to wait about 36 hours from my last meth dose to take a sub. since the sub is still probably in my system anyway?

I went to a doctor to make the switch to suboxone, after being on Methadone for two years. I was on 150mg of methadone, and was told to wait 24 hours and "go ahead and take it." MAKE SURE YOU GO TO A DOCTOR THAT IS EXPERIENCED! I thought I was going to die, for two days I literally was scared I was not going to survive the withdrawls. I am now terrified to switch even if I did it the right way, I can not imagine having to feel even 1% of what I felt before.

hello all thanks for the posts they have been mixed but are very help full i am on my way to phinoex house in 12 days were there is no methedone given byt suboxone is A ok . and i was planing on making the switch anyway. im at 3o mgs of methedone . im not sure exactly the procss of the switch i have heard it's alot better the lower you are on you methedone. i know that your brain takes 7 - 10 days to adjust to a methedone dose change but i dont have that luxury because of time . i could probbably get down another 5 or 10 . i guess i'll induce my self on subutex and i have benzos and herb to help with the transition . i know it might sound like a junky mind st but belive me im off to impatient for 6 months to a year previously i stayed clean for 8 months on it so im in it for the long haul. also i was in a cat accident a bad one my spine is damaged as well as three nerves right now im on 10 mgs of hydrocodone every 4 hours can i still take this while on the bub ?

I just went from 70mg Methadone to Sub. I came down from 170mg Methadone in 7 weeks then 36hours after my last dose of 70mg Methadone I started on 4mg Sub every 2 hours then 8mg every 8 hours now after 4 days I am on 8 in the AM and 8 in the PM. I had a fantastic doc. Only charged me 200 dollars total. I will pay him 50 bucks a month while I stay on the program.

I had 3 rough days. Day one I was just scared, Day 2, I was still scared with significant anxiety. He gave me valium and restoril. I worked well enough. By day 3, I could see the light at the end of the tunnel and by day 4, I could not believe life could improve that much that quickly with no sensation of being high. So far it's working for me better than I hoped.

Paul