Well it's been one month two weeks and three days since I started detoxing from methadone I don't think I'd be considered a heavy user as I topped out at 40mg. a day but, I still feel like hell I went down from 40mg to 10mg to 7mg to 6mg to 5mg to 4mg were I'm currently at. How much longer will the hell last? I still can't sleep good I still ache and am restless uncomfortable and in pain with my muscles and bones is this normal for someone who is/was a low dose methadone user? I really want off I'm trying my best to stay strong I've asked my spouse and family for help with my addiction. My spouse doses me and I call my dad every time I want to abuse he's kinda like my sponsor if I was and alcholic. I've read from other's that there is light at the end of the tunnel and I want more than anything to walk in that light and be delivered from methadone darkness. I went to the ER and was prescribed clonodine it helps take the edge off and I take ambien to try and sleep. I either am impatient because I want to be done now or something is really wrong with me is it normal to still feel methadone sick like this after how many days I've been detoxing? I'm gonna start doing the every other day dose now.

Confused and desperate for sobriaty

Hello, I just read your post about how you are trying to stop using the methadose. I see you wrote it back in April and I was wondering how you are doing. I too am in the same boat and would like nothing more to stop as well but I am having to hard of time getting started. Hope to here from you!!!!

I'm in the same boat too...36 yr old female, on 10-20mg a day, but just can't get any lower than that. I am trying to get pregnant with my first child and am scared to death. I want to get off of the methadose first (I am also taking this illegally after my dr stopped presribing percocet for my herniated disc in my back)...I REALLY want to detox NOW. Any suggestions?

Go to an outpatient detox. They will give you pills while you stop taking methadone for 3 days then they will put you on suboxone. I went from 100mgs to 20 in 30 days...not fun at all, but I was too weak to want to do 30 more days with no help. Suboxone is the way to go in my book. I am staying on it for about a month then I will slowly get off of it. I am taking 8mgs per day and it is $8.00 per pill ...very expensive, but I am glad I did it. I had to start work again and I was so tired which, I think is the worse symptom...and by taking the outpatient drugs for the 72 hours prior to taking suboxone is so much more helpful. You can't take methadone right to suboxone...it s a bummer, but don't try it....you will immediately go into withdrawls.....

I was taking methadone for a bout 2 yrs illegally. Took vicodin before that for about 6 months.

I was up to 30 mg a day and cannot afford it anymore. So I dropped down to 20mg for 1month. Then my guy ran out. Friday I took my last 10 mg. I have been taking xanax 1 mg when I wake up and one mg before bed to sleep. I really haven't felt that bad at all. Its probalby the xanax,which I cannot stand xanax but it helps. This is my 4th day off dones and it is not too bad. Still a little hot and cold sweats but I think I only have 3 more days to go. Thats how long it took last time.

I actually have access to methadones now but I am not breaking in to take it. It is definaltely possible to quit. I quit for 2 weeks one time and I felt good after 6 days. That was with no xanax or anything though.
I think weening down under 10mg is worthless and will only prolonge the misery.

I have been on methadone for a while now. I was a herion user for 2 years. The first run on methadone was illegal and when myuy ran out it was worse then herion to stop. It took about 6-8 days of complete agony. Then i went back on the dope and lost everything. Now I go to a methaone clinic and im on 100mg a day. it kept me clean for the longest ive ever gone so far. its been 8 weeks scince i put that needle in my arm, but i know what lyes ahead of me when i need to stop the meth. Anyway I do agree when your down to 10mg just start doing every other day, dont prolong the agaony by going down to 9, 8, 7, etc. its not worth it. Good luck to all and god bless!

:-) Hi..I would like to say to the people that are trying hard to stop what has overcome their lifes..It comes from the inner of your soul to stop what is ruining your life..I once was in the shadows of depression and suicide but I talk and cry to myself saying why why is this life so hard then I realize it is not the life I want. So I just moved on..I was living with drugs and booze and abuse most of my life for about over 20 years. I realize it's only myself that I could help me..no one can't help they may give advice but only my inner spirit has to do the work to heal. So tha's what I believe in is IT IS YOURSELF THAT HAS TO HEAL AND FIGHT. I know there is pain and sweats when wanting to quit the hard stuff but let it be just have to fight it with your inner spirit and then it will like it wasn't ever there. I know it is not easy but why need more other medication to help out if you jus won't help yourself. Helping yourself is the inner spirit in you.

Hey, So I have been on methadone for 4 years now and abused pain killers for 4 years before that. I finally decided two weeks ago enough was enough. I had once tapered myself down as far as 5 mg but the entire process was agony and I ended up back at 18 mg. While I was on methadone especially below 20 mg I could not function in the morning without it. I was up at like 6 counting the hours till pharmacy was open. I only tell you this because that entire process was much worse then the withdrawal i went through when i just stopped taking it at 18 mg The withdrawal just never progresssed past what I was feeling everyday anyways. I mean btwn days 2-5 i didnt sleep much but more just cause i was agitated. The symptons I felt at night when more than tolerable, and throughtout the day I was only sore. Now dont kid yourself I'm now 2 weeks in and I'm still a little sore... but once again very tolerable. As well be prepared to have zero energy and strength while your body figures out how to operate without opiates. Hope this helps just wanted to share my experience, you guys all sound pretty frustrated, I know I sure was. All I know is the doctors had me more afriad to quit then was ever needed. and remember even if it is bad it will pass, then you got the rest of your life to be excited for. and if its hell everyday now while your tapering down, just think how much worse can it be. Wish you good luck.

I used foe 9 years and have been on methadone for 2 1/2 years i stated my detox from the clinic last feb. in a few days it will be feb when i started the detox i was at 150mg i stopped taking it for days ago and i was at 5mg and i keep seeing people say dont go done 9,8,7etc.... but i will tell you i really really wish i would have continued the clinc down to zero cause i feel so bad and i have a great support system but i am misrable i can not sleep at all that crawling feeling is about to drive me insane i just want to ball up and cry but i have no choose i have to stop i can not go back to the live i used to live i am 27 now and i have a ten year old daughter whose life i was not in for a long time and she needs me. I wish this could be easier, but i know i can do this!!!

Its better to get it over with your gonna withdrawal from 1mg the same as 5mg. Getting down to low dose b4 you quit is better but going down to 1mg is torturin yourself. You gotta withdrawal no matter what mg your at. I was at 8mg Ive been lower than 5mgs but had to go back up. Anyways I havnt dosed in 7days and I feel so much better Im tired of the ball and chain.

tapper down slowly

djef2000 wrote:

tapper down slowly

hello guys
I'm writing from Paris, I don't speak a great English ... Sorry
I have 5 years of opiates today, which included two years of treatment with bupre (Subutex) and I did 5 / 6 stops processing temporarily allowed me to be clean. The question of the detox is really secondary in fact. I know many people clean and what takes time is to evolve from within and not necessarily the dose. I've seen people get out better than others, whereas it took more of methadone ... so... it's about a fundemental problem, in the soul, problem that opiates come to relief and that is the real bad problem : we need to go there, in the real question... milligrams is just something secondary, believe me or not.

Regarding the detox, I am not at all agree with what people have written (for lack of experience certainly). Sorry, but methadone is difficult and the most important levels are the latter because it is between 10 mg and 0 mg detox the brain is really happening and that difference. Get up to 10 mg to stop is not intelligent, as take 6 months to quietly switch 10 to 9,8,7,6,5,4,3 etc. ...

I go back far enough and I am 5 mg today, next week to 4 mg. Now I tapper 1 mg per month, and it's very easy. I fell absolutely nothing... because I hear my body and don't want to go over the music...

If I had to stop this dose at the beginning, this would not be very hard (the first 15 days big illusion) and then everything would start to decay slowly, physically and mentally ... After 30 days of this, I am even so much me that I always reshoot. 6 times

I tried to shorten my sentence meth, and it is a waste of time and suffering for nothing.

The exit door is lower to the end, and yes it's hard! but true ... that it works.

So tapper down is more good for you, your nervous system and help to accept the recovery...

Give time to time...

The reste is just morality for people lost...

SERIOUSLY stay on methadone untill you reach 1 mgs. seriously think about it? if you takes your does in the morning then it wears off at night right?? so just deal with it. its not as bad as quiting at 10 mgs or 5 mgs.. if you do that you may experience w/d for weeks. seriously guys i have been off methadone for almost 2 weeks... i felt better after the first day??? i am serious. do not be scared as i was. i was on methadone for 2 years the last 10mgs i tapered down 1 mg a week and im so glade i didnt quit at 5 mgs ... i wanted to but people from this web site incouraged me to see it through... Also do research on methadone and NUTRITION seriously i ate and ate so much healthy stuff the weeks before and even now im still staying away fom red meat sugary foods and drinks ect...
Remember, its fact , that while taking methadone your body CANNOT absorb nutrients proporly and for that reason methadone users are nutritionally deficent there for your body is NOT ready to handle a methadone detox successfully, meaning you will suffer. so help you body as it detoxs, i did and i feel excellent

i just completed a methadone program. i was using oxy 80's 8-10 a day it took me 25 months to complete the meth program.. for me the program was pretty easy i tapered down real fast as i hear storeys about people being on it for years or life . my problem now is I stopped taking my daily drink (of 1ml) its been 2 weeks since my last and I still toss and turn EVERY night! how long will this last? im a heavy sleeper and have never had this problem before. my one buddy said from his experience this will last 2-4 months is this true?

[url]

Ive been on methadone for 8 years, I was a heroin addict for 6. Today is my 4th day on zero mg. of methadone. i went from 35mg. to 0 in one weak. sometimes Im surprised at how easy its been, then other times Im wondering, How long is this weak feeling going to last? But for any of you people out there that need some reassurance, If i can do this, and make it this far so CAN U. i

I never thought i would be where i am today. Now I just got to keep on truckin!