I'm 36 years old and I have been addicted to heroin for a long time. I have been on treatment for the past 2 years and have used methadone as a withdrawal symptoms suppressant. As I understood methadone is as addictive as heroin and withdrawal symptoms can be as bad as ones in heroin withdrawal. I would like to know what is used to treat methadone addiction, how do I get off methadone? By using methadone vs. methadone addiction?

There are other opiates which are less addictive, have fewer side effects than methadone and are easier to manage than methadone. One good example is bupenorphine, which is used to get methadone addicts off methadone and also is used for treating heroin addiction. In the past addiction treatment centers have used smaller doses of methadone for treating methadone addiction and with great success. By gradually decreasing the dose of the drug in theory withdrawal symptoms could be minimal and even avoided. So using methadone versus methadone addiction is not so uncommon. It should be closely monitored by your doctor or other medical personal in charge of treating you in the institution youre in. If you have any further questions about methods of treating your condition you should be free to talk to your doctor about it.

SUBOXONE is the medical meds that you would be looking for to help you to overcome your methadone addiction. What sub does is it helps your opiate receptors to *heal* while methadone, just like heroin, suppresses the receptors and that is the reason for the simular withdrawals. Please be aware, and this is IMPORTANT, sub DOES have withdrawal side affects as well and they are not pleasant so ask you doc about a IMMEDIATE TAPER program when you start so that there are absolutelty no withdrawals, but you will need to taper (decrease the mg with each dose) slowly to avoid any risk of withdrawals and sub is also a little more expensive so please be aware of the FEW downsides to the switch. It is howerever a maricle drug and also some benzo can ease the withdrawal AFTER you are off the methadone, do not take while still using it though for this can be fatal. Good luck and congrats for kicking you heroin habit, stick with it!

My heart goes out to anyone brave enough to kick opiate addiction, I i used diamorphine (heroin) and crack cocaine for 3 yrs, I guess 4 the last yr i've been mantaining on 80mg of methadone. Let me make this very clear, I have gone cold turkey from a min of 1grm of heroin intravenous injection a day sometimes more! and within 4 - 7 days i was cool and feelin pretty good, I did use fairly high codeine doses to help maybe 300mg a day, but last weekend I had the worse experience of my opiate taking time. The gear I shot up was contaminated with rohipnal the date rape drug(very dangerous) My mate thinks he knows it all and as he thought i was ODing he gave me suboxone wich contains naltraxone, this as some of you may know puts an opiate addict into massive acute withdrawl. I woke up naked , sh**ting myself and throwing up uncontrollably, it was scary, degrading and complete hell!!. He should have called 999 or 911 depending where u live and the ambulance crew will administer NALOXONE not naltraxone they are often mistaken. He then fed me crack hits!! I asked my drug worker and she said that she could not believe my heart didn't stop. please understand if your m8 od's the best thing u can do is get him pro medical help. My mate while full of good intentions could have administered the final dose that could have proved fatal, he then would face a manslaughter charge at the very least! In the UK you dont get cops or any trouble 4 reporting a mate who's od'd, if u dont want the neighbors seeing all the c**p take your mate down the road and meet the abulance there, please i emplore you. unless you have naloxone you can do no good, an overdosing patient will need a shot then another one 20 mins later. I can say the withdrawl i went into was unreal. I have now decided that is it for me, i'm reducing from 80mg meth by 5mg per day till i get to 30mg then i will switch to subutex, I also take between 5 - 25 mg of nitrazepam daily to help me relax, sleep and deal with my shitty feelings, i'm also on 40mg of prozac. Depression, anxiety, insomnia, diorria, cramps etc etc are totaly normal. ride it out its worth it mate! I wont be a slave to that filth ever again, amazing as it feels when you have a fat , perfect hit geeza it just aint worth the bad. some drugs are ok in my book but H and crack are NO nO's avoid at all costs. massive love and best wishes to all brave enough to take the challenge on. Good luck and never give up!! take the "t" off of cant and you can do anything you set your mind to remember that.

dubin wrote:

methadone withdrawals are not so intense as herion withdrawals but they last much longer and taper off much slower it even goes away and comes back thre sneaky b******d. Once you are lower than 30mls the lower the better go onto subutex a lighter opitae with a herion blocker in it but the withdrawals are much lighter and shorter than methadone please note the only problem is you may suffer some turbulance switching from the methadone to subutex so you must be on less than 30mls but my advice is get down to 10 or 15 then swap over;good luck

i was addicted to heroin for 12yrs and i went onto a 110ml script of meth to help me stabilise. since taking the meth (been on it for 4yrs now!) ive NEVER used any drugs whatsoever, i stopped completley. but been on methadone is to me a life sentence. i just cant come off it. ive tried and tried and i just cant do it. if i ever miss a dose of meth(believe me its rare!) i cant go till the next day without any, no-way, i have to buy enuff to hold me till my next pick-up. it was only 5mths ago i realy messed up on it, i used to drink upto 450mls PER DAY! and to support that i had to buy extra on the black market. but the real problem was vwhen i realised i had to stop this meth habit escalating even further, so i told the clinic what i was doing, BIG MISTAKE! they stopped my script and put me down to 40mg per day for 3days then up 10mg every other 3days till i was back upto 110mg, what a nightmare. the withdrawls are excrutiating, a mhell ,mof alotworse and longer than the heroin. i too wish id av come off the gear with d.f,s or something, i was on too much to take subby,s. please. everyones differnt though. i CANT come off meth, its a life sentence for me,i suppose if you detox using meth it would be alot better than been stabilised. please think very carefull before you start on a script and especialy wanting to come off it. if any1 can help me come off it i,d take there advise and give it a go a.s.a.p. i wish you loadza luck in you getting clean, i really do. like i said, everyones different and evegood luckryones approaches to it are different,

eh jesus I am on methadone 40mg I being tappered off my fricking legs are killing me I am also now addicted to Gravol IM injections been using it for aboout one month does gravol Im ijections cause leg pain I am so pissed offf with these doctors here in windsor ontario they don,t give one shoit about us addicts to them we are just a number feel like jumping in the water and ending it all.

Tired of using cause i aklso buy moriphine on he side u have to stop this or I will not be here

Real name is Sadie

Sadie, hang in there, it does get better. Iv'e been on methadone for over 8 years and know what your going thru. I decided to try to get off methadone, and I know how frisking hard it is. I'm down to 20 mgs. a day, but still feel like sh*t. I want to be free from it all, but I am a chronic pain patient and have been on pain killers for over 15 years. Hang in there, go back to the doctors and try anything. You are not alone. Trust me I know !

I havebeen on methadone for 8 months. I started at 30mgs and went up to 80mgs. Because of drowsiness i came down to 50 mgs. Thats when i found out i was pregnant. The clinic refused to allow me to go down because of my pregnancy. After talking to my obgyn he called the clinic and now i am on a msw(medically supervised withdrawal) and i go down 5mgs on mondays and 5mgs on thursdays. I am down to 10 mgs and have not had any problems aside from stiff body and sneezing when i wake up in the morning. Now i will go down 1 mg on mondays and 1 mg on thursdays. Once i reach 1 mg i will stay there for 3 weeks at which point i will be discharged. I want to get off methadone for the sake of my child. It has been a relatively easy and painless detox. As long as you put your mind to it you can do it. It also helps to have a reason you want to do it. As i said my baby is what makes me want to. But dont be scared just have faith in yourself and you will make it through. Also keep busy, go tto the gym, that helps with the soreness, or just go for a walk/run. All you have to do is want it bad enough. Good luck to everyone and never give up!

your story really hit home, I to became pregnant while on methadone & was on 65 mg increased to 75mg during the pregnancy. now Im going thru MSW as well 3 mgs/day. I have a 9 year old & this 1 week 2 ay old baby,theyre my reason for coming off this drug,hoping withdrawal symptoms arent that bad. hoping u have a great life free of all this

i feel sorry for you. I am on 80mg methadone per day,but i tried twice to get to detox but I could not do it . I will have to use meth for life.

I started using Heroin at the age of 21,smoking then injecting,eventually i started being prescribed Methadone which i used on top of my Heroin(bad idea).I was using as much Heroin as i could afford/get hold of and was taking 80ml daily and even more than that if i could buy it. I`m now 43 and i`m at the back end of my life`s horror and am only on 25ml with no drug use.Pain,i could talk all day of pain but it`s getting much better.Methadone can go two ways,you can take it to help you get off drugs and then reduce sloooowly:) or you can go the way like i did and cause yourself so much more extra pain which for sure you don`t need. Stay focused and reduce ONLY when YOU feel ready and not a moment before or you stand to have a relapse. You need to be fully ready and having some enthusiasm will help getting off Methadone but make sure you have the correct people round you and don`t rush.  P.s. Remember there are alot of variables when talking about Methadone so take in what info is correct and what advice is good for you. Take care and good luck.

I know sorry. this is a old post. well anyways im trying to detox. 5 days i went down 5mg from 80mg i feel like c**p. dont know if its withdrals or flu. should i be feeling anything?? 5mg from 80mg??