My son is on Methadone few days already. I was worried enough because she has to use it, and then I found out its just one more opiate, beside heroin he used last months. I heard it can cause psychical addict with patients. Is that true, and is it possible to develop withdrawal? Is it possible it’s similar to heroin addiction and withdrawal?

Methadone is a synthetic opiate narcotic that when used once a day can suppress a heroin addict’s craving and withdrawal for 24 hours. Patients are then psychically dependent on methadone as they were to heroin or other opiates. Many former heroin users have claimed how horrors of heroin addiction withdrawal were less painful and difficult than Methadone withdrawal. Many people go from being addicted to heroin to being addicted to methadone. Methadone withdrawal symptoms include sneezing, yawning, runny nose, and tearing of eyes. Beside this, usually occur and excessive perspiration, fever, dilated pupils, abdominal cramps, and nausea. Rare but also reported withdrawal symptoms are body aches, tremors, and irritability. After few days of stabilizing a patient with methadone, amount may be gradually decreased. To keep methadone withdrawal symptoms at a tolerable level is the goal. Gradual cessation followed by a drug-free program or rehabilitation might be answer for many sufferers.

my son has been on methadone for 3months now ...all thye want to do is increase him please don't let them increase your son ... my son is 33 years old and this is the worst thing highly addictive ...i'm trying to find ways to get him help to detox please do the same ...i's his life

I have been on Methodone for 5 years. I recently was so depressed over my use of the drug that I decided to quit. My last pill was Monday and today is Friday. From personal experience, I knew I would have to FEEL everthing during detox to keep away from this powerful narcotic in the future, but now I am not so sure! I have not slept since Tuesdy and the horrors of the "creepy crawlies" are still deep in my mind, I am delerious and of coure have experienced every single symptom associated with the withdrawal. My problem is that I feel utter hopelessness and wish I would have known this would happen yet it is not a symptom listed. I want everyone out there to know this before going through this hell to never be alone while you detox and make sure you tell your care giver that you will beg for many many things and they must be strong! If you are afraid, go to a detox center and prepare yourself for this...
I can tell you that it is the hardest thing I have ever done. Good luck to anyone trying to get off this awful drug and good luck to me too!

To all the people who is thinking of taking methadone PLEASE DONT this drug will take over your live i was on it for a year and a half. my dr. took me off it all together due to surgery i am having, i have been going through hell for the past month. i dont sleep, i hurt, legs and arms ache, fatigued. this medicine is the deviel....... If any one is having withdrawals from this medication PLEASE talk to your dr. for some clonidine it helps the withdrawals are not so bad with this. i hear it takes at least a year for this to totally get out of your system. YUCK!!!!!!! So good luck to anyone using this drug. You know the dr.s that put people on this sure doesnt tell them of the horrible side effects and withdrawals. I think they should be held responsible for our withdrawals. IM SO tired of being sick from this medicine

Okay, now for most of us that really give a sh*t about our health and living as normally as possible, there are some known drawbacks to taking methadone either for pain, addiction, or both. However, must we actually say it is an aweful drug? I mean, where would we be without it? First we would probably be dead. On the chances that you are still alive, without methadone you would probably at the very least be very sick, going through withdrawl(every other day or so when you cannot find a fix), lying to family and friends, suicidal, the list goes on and on. Now, it is obvious, however; that once we start this methadone treatment, we actually start to think like normal people. Things such as, "Man, why can't I just get off this stuff, and why have I been so stupid in the past, this is all just a prolonging process of addicion,........", on and on and on. We start to thing clearly about our drug useage and realize how bent out of shape we were before turning to methadone treatment. Then....we want to down the drug for it's very lengthy and painful process of letting it go for good. Now, with having said that, this is actually the way most people are supposed to think about the use of drugs for anything other than pain or what it is prescribed for. In this stage of our recovery we begin to not only down the drug that in reality helped us to be able to access such situations as these in the first place, we begin to forget what we were like 15 minutes before having taking this medicine. We were animals, uncontrolled except for what we let control us(drugs only), we were liars, thieves, some of us perfected the art of minipulation(as did I for the sake of getting what I wanted for nearly nothing from anyone who would let themselves be minipulated by little, sweet, goodie-two-shoed-me.) My point is, is that, yet we want to be free, most of us have a love/hate relationship with our vice, we also are well aware if we think back, what we will have to be prepared to fight once we are if ever, free from methadone and/or all drugs period. I dunno if may of you will agree with me on this or not, but what I will say is that even though I feel I am dependent on methadone, I would very much want to be free of it even though it has helped me be a better person in all areas of my life. This situation is so touchy for some, but if as for me, If I dig deep enough I find myself praising this drug and then telling myself that it does deserve it, but it doesnt at the exact same time. Do I make any sense you peeps? I know , I know, this is an ongoing thing and there are thousands of views and opinions about the same thing here, just wanted to put mine in, and if anyone wants to discuss this I would be up to it again,,,heheeh. As always, looking to improve my way of thinking.......Kristie.

My name is josh and i am an addict. It has been ten months since i have gotten high off opiates. If it werent for methadone i would probably still be roaming the streets of delaware looking for my fix. Because of unrelated issues, i was forced to quit cold turkey. It has been sixteen days since i last got my dose, and believe me it has been the longest sixteen days of my entire life. I have experienced every withrawal symptom in the book, , cold sweats, constant stomach ache, insomnia, depression, anxiety, suicidal thoughts, the urge to use only because of my undescribeable agony, constant sneezing, and last but not least, loose bowels. If you are currently suffering from opiate addiction, i recommend not getting on methadone if you feel you are really ready to stop. Suboxone or bupenorphine is the new age miracle drug. The withdrawal is not comparable to methadone, meaning so so less severe. Put it this way, if i could go back to the day i decided methadone was right for me, i would have definitely chose a different path. If you get on methadone, to get off is the hardest thing you will ever have to do, not because its "so addicting" like people say, but because it is the longest and most drawn out withdrawal process in the world. I feel fortunate that i was only on opiates consistently for about two years before i realized i had a serious problem and knew i had to stop. Most individuals go in and out of treatments use and quit and relapse for most of their juvenile and adult lives before they realize they need to stop or death is the only alternative.
In may 2006, about five months into my methadone treatment, i lost my bestest friend in the whole wide world to suicide. At that time i pretty much lost with will to live, even tho i hadn't gotten high for a good five months. Because of this i started experiencing panic attacks, which then led me to getting prescribed to aprazolam(xanax). This was a biiiiig mistake being on methadone as well. When i would double up on my xanax i felt invincible, like a constant dream state, as if the law did not apply to me. I got in a lot of legal trouble, trouble that by law was more serious than anything i had done while i was still gettting high. Methadone and xanax for a drug addict is a great combo, but for someone trying to get clean it will only lead you down a path that you definitely dont want to be going down. When they tell you opiates and benzos dont mix, LISTEN. I would do anything to go back and not have taken them, too late for that. I really cannot wait to get all of my court dates, withdrawal, and whatever else relates to my addiciton, over with so i can move on with school, sports, and other things i enjoyed doing BEFORE i started using drugs. I have been told my whole life that i am a very intelligent individual, i really didn't believe it till now. I have so many goals and plans to do with my life, things i never thought i was capable of, now seem so easy to obtain, because im clean. Sure this meth withdrawal is discouraging, but knowing it will eventually go away is what is keeping me alive, as well as my mom,dad, and my weeshy(sister). Without their support it was be a million times harder. My dad is a nutritionist and knows everything there is to know about vitamins, so i load up on natural detox herbs daily. Although they dont seem to make a difference, i know without them i would worse off. For anybody who has to go through an experience like this alone, just be strong and DO NOT GIVE IN OR UP! PEACE OUT YALL, stay up!

Methadone is a necessary evil for some-i have a bone disease that is untreatable , but causes severe pain . for mant many years i lived each day to try and get opiates, iefriends,docs, whatener or whoever ..i was put on 40mg. of methadone and ive been able to stay at that dose for 4 years, BUT--i am a addict-i will always be a addict -why -cuz i am dependent on a substance,,,thats what you need to realize...if your looking to get high -meth is not the drug for you -it actually blocks the high of other opiates...please please-dont take it if you dont need it --it will bring you to hell.

thanks for the post. I definately want to talk to you. I am taking Methadone 160mg day and oxy 240mg day and Ativan 3mg day, Trazadone 200mg night, Ambein 10mg night. I have a serious back injury, but opiates have ruined my life and are still ruining it. I was very much in love with my latest girlfriend and we broke up 7 months ago.

**this post is edited by moderator ** private e-mails not allowed **

hi, I have been on methadone myself for 3 years. My boyfriend has been on about 6 months and is being detoxed because he lost his insurance and he is in the process of getting insurance now, however he is now on 30 mgs they have been detoxing him 5mgs a day (that is crazy) mt clinic is 5mgs every 3 days when being detoxed. Anyway, he started shooting heroin yesterday, he works third shift and has to work. Hopefully he will be on the other clinic by next week which he will only have to pay $20 a week until his insurance kicks in.It bothers me he tries to go somewhere else to sjot up, but I know he is doing it. Actuallt he was using on and off while on Methadone during the time he was on. I told him this is it, I have been with hum almost a year and when he gets on methadone on this clinic if he uses we are through because I had 2 and a half years clean and I relapsed after he was shooting up in my house this summer. I will not relapse again!!!! No man is worth that. I love him, but tough love is coming, I can't live with someone who will not stay clean or use methadone the right way. Methadone works for me along with going to meetings and being around positive people who don't get high!!! I told him he is not what I want in a boyfriend so he is on chance #3, 3 strikes and you are out!!!!

My wife and I both were on Methadone strictly for the euphoric feeling. Unbeknownst to us, we became addicted. During the two years that we were using, "friends" assisted us with acquiring the wafers by us paying for the visit AND the script. I'm a senior member in the military and my wife is an MBA/CPA. This fact is significant because we had to detox completely alone, no one could know. It's been four months now and we don't even think about it. I can play with my children, mow the lawn, etc. with out thinking I need a wafer in order to function. Here's why I decided to "come out"; there's light at the end of the tunnel. Once one gets through the aches, irritation, mood sings, chills, sweats (we went through all of the above and still worked!) and so forth, it gets beter every day. Hope this inspired all considering breaking the miserable slave like chains this drug imposes.

They're right. I was put on methadone after my dr. decided I needed long-term opiate care for my chronic pain. I went from 40mg Norco/day to using Palladone, w/20mg norco for breakthough pain, and had good results, with none of the bad side effects: but the FDA pulled the Palladone almost 2 years ago. I could not tolerate the morphine concoctions, they knocked me out, the methadone gave adequate pain relief; but with severe constipation, grogginess, and just being a little out-of-it, for the downsides. Like the person above says, meth actually blocks the high of other opiates, so it is not for the person out looking for a good time - you would probably die from decreased respiration before you ever got even close to feeling a buzz. But now I am furthering my education and career, and I want to do so without the drawbacks or stigma attached to the meth. I am trying to ween myself off, having only had 20mg in 5 days. I am tired, achey, can't sleep, I have an overall fatigue, a headache like a migraine, and accomplishing the simpilest of tasks seems like climbing Mt. Everest. I have been told that these symptoms, at the rate I am going, should last about another week, and then about 2-3 weeks of insomnia and fatigue. That Does Not Sound Like What I Wanted For Medical Care To Releive My Pain! I would be happy with a few Norcos to take as needed for pain, there is nothing hard about getting off vicodine, just sleep for the weekend, and that's only if it is cold turkey. Chronic Pain patients, heed my warning, long-term opiod therapy will push you deep down into a well you never thought about having to get out of one day. Don't trade the quick relief of a super-strong long-acting opiate, when there are short term pain relievers, yes even narcotic ones, that are not going to lead you down a road where 2 years later you want to stop taking the medicine, like you've always done with everything else; only this time 'the Devil is in the details!" MY (UNPROFESSIONAL) ADVISE-ASK TO STAY ON THE SHORT ACTING NARCOTICS, UNDER SUPERVISION IF NECCESARY, THEY BEAT OUT THE LONG-ACTING ONES, HANDS DOWN! This is only for those with chronic pain, not for addicts looking for differant ways to break the cycle.

:x Quote:

kristy i have been tryin to switch from methadone 90mg after5 yrs to suboxone and iwant to die i toldly agree about the methadone it kept a needle out of my arm 4 the time i was on it but the guilt from my fam and thier opinions from what they herd about it is the reason ive been doing this 4 a wk but im ready to go back to methadone the only reason ive had any sleep at all is a friend gave me a few diazapam please some one tell me what to do!

Ma'am Methadone Maintance is the best possible option for a drug addict. They probably want to put him up because he's still using. Believe me they don't force you to go up these people are trying to regulate him so that he doesn't want to use anymore. Afer he's working and is beginning to get his life together they will slowly take him down, but not until he's ready. Don't push him to get off, because this is where he needs to be right now. If he wants off he can detox at any time but believe me it took me years to finally stop and begin to get my life in order. Your son's not telling you the whole story, it sounds to me like he's making excuses so that he can get something from you, sympathy perhaps money, guilt, I don't know but you can always speak to his counselor if you have concerns or questions. Please don't blame the clinic. In time your son will work, get an apartment, save some money etc. etc. Give it a chance and like I said speak with his counselor if you have concerns. It will help both of you I'm sure. For me it was the best thing ever, if I want to detox they will very very slowly drop your dose 5 or 10 milagrams evcery 6 months if you want . The slower the better odds you have on getting off and staying clean. Good Luck Ma'am

In reading these various posts I've seen people's individual experiences coloring their perception of methadone. I have in the past been addicted to opiates and am now currently clean and enrolled in an Addiction Studies course studying to become a drug counselor. First of all a person who is taking methadone is not clean, it is an opiate and acts as an opiate in the body. Since it is administered orally users to not feel the rush one would feel from intravenous use of opiates. It can be abused and people can get high from it. Back when I was using before I started injecting I abused methadone. Discontinuation of long-term methadone use will result in withdrawal symptoms like similar to heroin withdrawal. So why is it administered? Harm reduction. Intravenous heroin (or other opiates like morphine, dilauudid, etc.) is associated with many health risks. The sharing of needles exposes users to disease, the most concerning of which are AIDS and hepatitis C. Even reusing needles can result in soft tissue infections which if untreated can become life threatening. Second, with most addicts tending towards ever increasing use maintaining a habit becomes prohibitively expensive, this leads to most of the crime associated with drug use. Allowing a user to legally take a single daily dose of methadone these consequences can be avoided, substantially improving the life of the addict and their loved ones.