You know after being on Methadone for 3 yrs. and 2 months this time at 120 mg. and after coming off of 150 mg. a few years ago after coming down and getting to 18 mg. after a year and a half and going through about 3 months of complete hell and then another 3 months of "just not feeling right", I am worried now.

I am now a single mother of 2 and you couldn't tell by looking at me that I ever went through what I did go through. If anyone I know heard that I lived the life I did, they would probably not believe it, but I did and still feel for everyone going through the pain.

I want off of this 120 mg. and go down to 100 mg. on my own frequently, but that is easy. I'm now hearing about this buphenorphine and saboxone? Does this work and does it work for someone on such a high dosage or do you have to go down some?

I DO NOT want to be on this c**p anymore and I do not want to be a "what I feel like as a prisoner" to this c**p anymore. If I had the money, I would start an orginization for US! I'm in Houston Texas and I feel that we have something to say and we should get together and help each other. This is NOT FUN!! We are not horrible people and will never be. Some of us want a good life and need support! Anyone is welome to email me at any time.

Good luck to all of you and I hope to hear more about solutions to getting off of this evil drug. What do we do when we are years off of heroin, etc. and want to be off of the methadone???

Lisa Taylor
N.W. Houston, Texas

**edited by moderator ** e-mails not allowed **

I live in rocky mount, n.c. i have a husband and 3 children. i have been on a very high dose of methone for approx the last 3 years. i read this article and this sound s just like what i'm going thru right now. i was taking 20, 10mg methadone a day. i took 10 sat. sun- mon - none. tuesday 2, 10 mg, and havent taken any methadone and today is saturday and im feel like i just dont know! i read about saboxone, that that would do something. i just dont know! i want off this train.
amy edgerton
rocky mount, n.c.

I AM A BELIEVER , AM HAVE USED PAIN MEDS 4 YEAR AND ALSO GOT TO THE POINT WHERE I COULD NOT FUNCTION W/O A PILL , FOR YEARS I SUFFERED AT LEAST 2 YEARS AND WELL I FINELLAY FOUND DR WHO STARTED ME ON THE METHADONE, AS I HAVE USED THIS FOR A YEAR NOW I AM HAPPY WITH IT , FOR ONE I HAVE NOT EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT OXYS NO W/D CASUSE U USE THIS MED AS PRESCIBED SO WHEN I WAKE UP IN THE AM I NEED NOT HAVE TO HAVE OXY DUE TO THE LONG HALFLIFE IN METHAADONE, SO AT THIS POINT I SEE NO REASON TO TRY 2 GET OFF IT I NEVER WANT 2 GO THROUGH OXYW/D NOR BE DEPENDENT AN PAIN MEDS AGAIN SO ANYONE WHO PUTS METH USERS DOWN WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND THIS MED IS NOT USED 2 BE HIGH WE ONLY USE 2 FEEL NORMAL , YES WE ALL MADE THE CHOICE TO GET ON THOSES HORRABLE OPIATES SO NOW OUR NARUARAL CHEMICLAS ARE NO LONGER WORKING AND WILL NEVER, SO TO EVERYONE WHO WANTS TO JUDGE METH USERS MUST REMEMBER , IT COULD HAVE BEEN THEM WHO FELL VICTIM TO DR PRESCIBEING OXYS FOR PAIN IT ONLY TAKES A MONTH TO BE DEPENDENT SO METHADONE IS A LIFESAVER TO ALLMquote="methadoneuser7+"]You know after being on TMethadone for 3 yrs. and 2 months this time at 120 mg. and after coming off of 150 mg. a few years ago after coming down and getting to 18 mg. after a year and a half and going through about 3 months of complete hell and then another 3 months of "just not feeling right", I am worried now.

Lisa Taylor
N.W. Houston, Texas

:)

I've been on methadone for many successful years, for a heroin/cocaine addiction. I started out on 55 mgs and have stayed clean for about 4 years on a dose of about 35. This is my second time around on methadone. I am now detoxing off of the methadone and am down to 4 mgs. I have been withdrawaling for a good month now. For real, I'm in withdrawal hell. I am scheduled to see the dr. and get on suboxone to ease my withdrawal because methadone is the longest withdrawal i've ever encountered. I feel really bad but I dont think its as intense as heroin withdrawal.For anyone questioning whether or not to get on meth or suboxone, choose the sub. Methadone may be all good now but just wait until you want off of it, this will be the worst of any drug you have ever tried to kick. The withdrawal lasts so long, depending on how long and how much you've been on, it will make a person turn to self medicating or using again. I've researched a great deal on the suboxone vs. methadone and I gotta tell ya, sub is the way to go, if you really want to get clean. If you want to get high, get on methadone and you'll walk around in a haze all day, nod out when you sit down, and not be able to even think about sex, let alone have any kind of "O" , and oh the good part is the weight gain, the longer your on it the more weight you'll put on.
Everyone is different, what works for one may not work for another but i'm ready to try. I hope this helps and Good luck!!! XD

hey everyone. I've read all the posts eveyone has written. I have been off methadone for about 3 weeks now and it's not as bad as what I have heard here. I did experience leg spasam, headache, irribility, can't sleep but I know the end is near. I'm feeling better everyday.

I was on 87mg for over a year and then just started taking less than what i was prescribed for about a month, then the last week i still had little methadone left i took half bottle one day and the other half the next, and then quit cold turkey with no doctor.

It is rough for I'd say the first week and after the first week you still will experience insomnia some nights and leg pain (like you ran a marathon) oh and you have NO Energy at all to do much. I still went to work though and got thru it. Oh and another thing is you have hard time eating. I am still not hungry. I manage though to eat something everyday even if its a piece of fruit.

The end is near though, I feel it and I will do it. The hardest part is done. I will never touch another pill. I was addicted to oxy, dilada's, anything that would give me energy. But then you get to the point where you have to take a pill just to wake up in the morning. Your whole life centers on getting pills. You need it to function. Methadone did help me though i have to admit, and getting off of the methadone is tough but i'm doing it. I'm so happy i dont need a pill anymore to function. Oh and change your circle of friends , only hang out with clean people!!!

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE, BE STRONG!

I'm getting more energy every day and i know its almost done. If I can do it you can too!

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!~

I have been on Methadone for 5 yrs now, and I am wanting to get off it! I got up to 140 mgs, and stayed on that for a couple of yrs. Since Thanksgiving of 2007 I have gone down 50 mgs. I am getting to the point to where I want to be done with it now, but am scared of the withdrawls. I have yet to experience wdwls from methadone. Anyway, I am currently on 90 mgs, and getting ready to go down to 80. I have thought several times about getting down to 20 mgs quickly, and then trying to just quit going. But, the docs at the clinic think I should go down slow, no more than 10 mgs a month. I keep telling myself that I have come this far, so might as well do it right, but currently I am unemployed and think that this would be the perfect time to detox and get off the meds. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts to the way one should do this?? I was very happy to read the blog from Chrissy1978!! She made me feel better about the withdrawls by saying that she hasn't had it that bad!! I kinda feel that since I want to be off this soo bad, that I can tolerate some withdrawls. I just really have no idea on how to go about the whole detox process, or how long to expect the withdrawls to last!If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!! Thanks a lot.....

I have been on and off methadone for about 3 years now. I've tried to quit on my own plenty of times with no success. The withdraws were too powerful. The first time i quit cold turkey, with that came no sleep, intense depression, no appetite and the worst part was no energy. I would take all my might just to do simple tasks, it's like your walking around with and extra 1000 lbs. on your back. After going through that HELL for almost a month I gave in and went back to the methadone just so I could feel normal again and not so depressed all the time. About a year later I was still on the methadone, but cut back the amount that I was taking. It was summer time and my number one goal was to get off this drug once and for all. So I researched suboxone, "the magic pill that getts you off of methadone with little or no withdrawl". I found a doctor that prescribes suboxone and he sold it to me like this, "you will feel no withdrawl, and you will also feel 100% normal". I was ecstatic, wow I thought "now I have some help to take this thing on". Well it all turned out to be BS. My first time trying the swich from domes to suboxone was hell, I had cold sweats, throwing up, anxiety just shitty in general. But after about three or four days of this the suboxone started to kick in I started to feel a little better not quite normal but better. I stayed on Suboxone for about a month reducing my doseage a few mg. a week. I had now been off the domes for over a month I was feeling ok but not 100% I wanted to get off the suboxone and just lead a normal life with no pills at all. However once I got down to half a suboxone a day that all too familiar feeling of withdrawl was creeping up on me thats when I decided to stop taking the suboxone. I was just like comming down from methadones, it was pure hell. I decided to try and push through it, I thought that if I held strong and pushed through it that I could make it. I WAS DEAD WRONG. Instead of feeling a little bit better each day I would feel worse. This went on for a bout 8 days untill I just couldent take it any more, it had broken me mentaly. So I went to the doctor who prescribed me the subxone told him how I was feeling and why. We made a mutual decision to stay off the suboxone. After that I was prescribed Klonopin for sleep and Geodon for depression. Once I started to take the meds, I actually started to feel better. I felt like I felt before I ever started taking pills. Keep in mind that everyone is different, and that we all have different brain chemistry, so what works for one may not for another. Don't trust everything good that is said about suboxone. With everything I've gone through if I could go back and do it all over I would have not taken the suboxone, I would have just asked for anti-anxiety, ant-depression and sleep meds to get me through it. For everyone putting up the good fight, keep on fighting you can make it to sobriety.

GOOD LUCK AND GODSPEED!!!

Erik
Sacramento, California

to wanting to get off of the methadone your doctor can ween you down once a week. if you go off suddenly you will be just as sick as you were in the past .I was a addict for years and I went on the meth its has down wonders for me .you have to work with it i to felt that way in the beginning every one is different but you have to want to straiten out if you dont want to it will not work good luck to ya ps I was a hard core addict and it works for me

Methadone use is the worst decision any rational thinking person can ever do. All you are doing is removing one drug and replacing it with another with FAR worse withdrawals. I have tried to quite twice, and this is the last time i will go through the ridiculous withdrawal symptoms. If you are addicted to opiates just endure the torture of withdrawal instead of become another junkie on a flawed system that doctors and patients abuse far too often. Doctors want to give you more to get you hooked longer, and patients are addicts already so they wont say no to a dosage increase. Methadone withdrawal, even if done properly, is five times worse than any other drug withdrawal that I have ever experienced. Take advice from someone who has tried everything, stay away from methadone and just endure the pain.

Sincerely!!!!!!!!!

Ran accross this site and know it is a few years old, but just wondering if you made it thru the detox. I am a women.47 years old. Been on the ball and chain of methadone maintance for one year. Started very slow detox last week at 3 mlg per week. Detoxing down from 109 mlg. 7 Years on vicodin, up to about 12 10mlg pills per day. Determined to get off the meth, figure will be free of it in six months. Just curious how things went for you. If your still out there and have the time, shoot me a message. Thanks for reading.
Rayann in Waco

I have been on this dark horse for two years at 120mgs and one day my psyche had changed and I decided I was not going to be a b***h to any substance again. I use to be on oxys and quit that and it was torture so my buddy was going to a methadone clinic and talked me into it to. At the clinic you run into tons of people all with different problems and the one thing they all had in common besides the meth was many of them tried to get off and all of them told me of the horrors of the withdrawls. Then one day I talked to a Doctor/Psychologist I got to know at the clinic and she talked to me one day in her office and told me something that made the difference for me. She said that to quit and not have the nightmare withdrawls is up to the individual and how strong their mind is. The mind is stronger than anything. She goes on to tell me that its 80-90% mental and 10-20% physical. You have to do two things: 1. Make up your mind that you want off of the sh*t, not say you want off but really want off. For me I hated the sh*t in the end and that got me to the point where the second part comes in. 2. I hated methadone so much that I would take my 100mgs every other day and in doing that it conditioned me not to think about it as much. So then it became once every three days then four and I had no withdrawls. So this bolstered my mind and my resolve even more. The withdrawls are because your mind is constantly in the state that I need it, I need it, I need it. Specially when you don't have any. All those days I did not take my dose I poured it in a big bottle and the bottle got full quick. Then I quit the clinic saved a ton of money from that. I then locked the bottle in my safe and psychologically my mind had comfort in knowing that if sh*t got bad I had methadone to take a small sip of. I may have taken two sips out of that bottle within a three week period then bam time went by and after Mardi Gras here in New orleans I poured it all in the toilet and flushed. I am now free of it and my energy is not the best but everyday I pull myself up by my boot straps and am now going through the police academy to become a cop. I learned the most important lesson ever, the strength of the mind. Like the saying goes, "Mind over matter." P.S. Keep in mind any Dr. or Clinic will never help because if you get off then they lose money. Its all about the money. Remember its mostly mental. Good luck to all of you!

I would lovelove so much to be able to plan a trip w out wondering and major planning the places to hide and how much to bring so im not soooo screwed...or have a sex drive again..or not look like a cast member on twilight..
i would like to be able to tell if its cold in the room or if im just freeze sweating again...evil is a kind word..

I am not sure if your on this site at all anymore, i hope you were succesfull in beating it finally it sure sounds like it, I myself am currently at 13 mgs and going down 1 mg weekly i had a little bit of a set back last week i was feeling withdrawl for the first time in weening down so i stayed at 13 for 1 more week, i have been on this site and reading everyones stories about how to do it and then came across your's and i have to say you are really the only one that has made me feel that i can get through this i really like what you said about every other day and knowing that you had it there if you needed it weening yourself into not thinking about it is so important, i am going to try this and i know this is going to work for me i want off this so badly and want my life back i want to feel normal again and you have given me hope and i wanted to thank you. Hope your doing well.

Suboxone is also an extremely addictive synthetic opioid. It is just as difficult to get off of as methadone. So switching from one to the other will not accomplish anything. Synthetic opioid are just very difficult to break free of. The best way is to ween as slow as possible and even then it takes a long time for your brain chemistry to restore to being normal. I've been on both and am off poops now for a year and a half. Suboxone was the last one I kicked. I still have difficulty sleeping, anxiety and depression. It can be done and you will feel better but it's a slow process that takes commitment. You may consider professional treatment. I went impatient for the first 28 days. If you want to go to inpatient treatment make sure they have a methadone program. I wish you the best of luck this won't be easy but you can do it and you will get better in time. To answer your question do not start taking Suboxone in place of methadone unless it is part of a treatment plan in a professional setting. Good luck.