I just wanted to let other individuals know who are taking methadone daily for an extended period of time that it is possible to quit and get through the methadone hardcore withdrawal symptoms without being miserable for a full 6 months.  I really cannot say enough about diet, amino acid supplements vitamins, high protein drinks and omega 3 caps.  I did all of these things and I am on day 43 and most of my withdrawals are gone.  I am convinced that this is what helped with the awful/brutal paws depression.  Don't get me wrong, the depression is vissible throughout but it dropped off considerably by day 37 or so. I also started sleeping pretty regularly by day 35 which probably allowed my brain to repair itself at night faster.  When I quit cold turkey, I went over a week with nothing to help w/d but I added a tramadol here and there, 1 50mg tablet to 1 1/2 at night for RLS, which I might add is one of the difficult symptoms to conquer.  I do not take tramadol daily and do not take it now, but it did help and I did not have cross addiction, but if you do this, everyone is different so be careful and talk to your primary before considering.  It was not easy getting here, but it can be done.  I quit in the beginning of August and made it to where I am now-September 20th, which when looking back, was not something I truly felt I could do.  I really wanted to stop methadone because it became a ball and chain and it effected my sex drive and fertlity-both have come back thank God! I was prescribed this synthetic opiate for pain and always took recommended doses, but that does not matter as I see no difference between my case and other addicts who take it to get high with benzos.  We all suffer withdrawal and need to do the same thing to get off, so I just do not see any difference.  My doses ranged from 55 mgs tapering down to 30 mgs daily the last three months prior to quitting.  I was on this medication for 6 years so it was pretty much throughout my body including my bone marrow when quitting-maybe this is why your bones feel sore during w/d but who knows. If you want to quit, taper, and before quitting, begin taking amino acid supplements, vitamins, protein drinks and omega 3s a good 30 to 90 days prior, some say this will prevent w/d totally, but I cannot testify to that because I did not do it quite that way.  Just a suggestion that I wish someone had told me as I only started the supplements and such 14 days in or so.  Anyhow, good luck, God bless and I am here if anyone has questions.   

hi alll i did a big opps...i need your advice...i am prescribed oxycodone 60mg 4x a day...i ran out and sniffed 4 bags of dope on monday....thursday@7am i have a drug test .....will i be safe or screwed

I have been reading your posts so decided to sign up so I could discuss this methadone with you if you dont mind. I have been on methadone since November 2011.. within first month I was up to 70mgs. By End of January so just 2 months in i realized the things that were happening to me at night was caused by my dose being too high. Ive now tappered down to 30mgs daily and I am starting to feel the pain I did have when i was eating Perks like candy. I want to get off Methadone completly BUT dont want the pain to come back full force whicvh will make me want to do more pills again to take the throbbing pain away. My main issues are hips and knees as im 300 lbs. so lots of pressure over the years. Im Only 36. And truly just not 100% sure what to do at this point to be honest.. As well Methadone is costing me $200/mth as i have no coverage. And to top it off my wife now wants to have another child and with the methadone its not working it seems. So any advice or input you could give would be awesome. Thanks you..

My wife and i are on 15 mg and so tired of this horrible drug. It helped us in our time of need but we had no idea how ulgy this monster actually was until we were face to face with it. We have come down from 80 mgs. And its been a six year battle starting from oxycontin addiction from a car accident. Your advice is right on the money vitamins amino acids and proteins are just what we need. What exactly did you take during your battle and were you able to work through it? Thats our biggest concern to support our child and home while waging war. Thanks so much adam.

Hi Adam, I hope you guys are doing well. I am 1 year and 2 months and doing great. It is not easy getting off of it but worth it and if I can do it, anyone can. I do not think I can give medical advice but you can let me know where you are at now and I can do my best to guide you. I was prescribed Seroquel and took that for a few months which helped with the nagging anxiety and Welbutrin for depression and dopamine levels-that helped with restless legs too. Also, there is an herb that takes away a lot of the withdrawal and I took that for a few months but I am free of it all and living normal. I think at 6 months is when you get to feeling like yoursel againf-- at least that is what it was for me, but some are sooner. Let me know and I can give any support you need. Sorry, I did not see this till now. Take care!

.... Also, there is an herb that takes away a lot of the withdrawal.... What is the name of this herb that you are talking about?

I just wanted to tell anyone trying to quit methadone, it can be done!! Today is day 30 for me and every day gets a little easier and brighter :-)...it has not been easy and there have been many many times over the last month that I thought, "....methadone isn't so bad, I could go for just one more dose, it won't hurt, etc...." Just know that you can't even take it a day at a time, I had to take it a minute at a time. If you're tired, sleep...if you have backaches, take a hot bath....I also started the Thomas recipe about 2 weeks in and it has helped tremendously!! Minus the benzos :) if anyone is deep in the throes of withdrawal, just get through this minute...IT WILL GET BETTER!!

Hi I'm Stephanie I was on 180mg liquid methadone for 8yrs Now I've just made it past my 90 days withdrawal symptoms not even close to being as bad but I fell pretty bad and pray for sleep and I feel your pain about taking care of kids work etc this part sucks your not alone and some days I want to just go back on it crazy I know God bless stay strong u have each other that's a good thing

what about methadone causes infertility?