I've been reading several posts that parallel what happened to me yesterday. I've been on methadone for about 4 months, from taking anywhere from 60-100mg daily (usually 60mg/day though) and I am sick of it. So I went to my suboxone doctor and he set up a program for me. I would stop taking methadone on Friday night, start taking up to 10 30mg Oxy's daily on Saturday, Sunday and Monday and start the suboxone on Tuesday. Unfortunately, I didn't listen to him and stopped taking the methadone on Sunday night and just figured I'd have minor withdrawal symptoms on Monday and then start on suboxone on Tuesday. Well, apparently the 36-48 hours I waited before I started the suboxone wasn't enough. The doctor gave me a half of a suboxone pill (I am pretty sure it was the 8mg pill but I cannot be certain - it was circular, orange and somewhat large [a little bit bigger than a 10mg/325mg Percocet]) and I then took another half of the suboxone pill about 1 hour later. Shortly after I took the second half, I went through as what many here described as some of the worst withdrawals they've ever experienced. It was unbelievable how insane these withdrawal symptoms were. Easily the worst I've ever experienced or witnessed. So basically I took 1 8mg (?) suboxone pill and went through those several immediate withdrawals and no matter how long I waited, the withdrawal symptoms wouldn't go away. I went back to the doctors office and they saw the state that I was in (incoherent, dripping in sweat, shivering, etc.) and gave me a few 30mg Oxy's to balance things out and they helped. But there were still some serious symptoms so I took some methadone later that day.

I plan on taking the suboxone again in the next day or so, but I want to know how I should do it this time. I haven't done any methadone in more than 24 hours, but I waited nearly 48 hours last time and it didn't do anything. So maybe wait 72 hours this time? And instead of taking 1 8mg (?) pill, maybe take 2 of them? That way there will be enough suboxone to bring out the withdrawals and then also remedy them. If someone with experience could please help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

- Jeff
Atlanta, GA

Jeff...
I have lots of experience with the whole methadone thing and if you would like me to talk to you in more detail you can contact me. Anyhow there's a few things..
First of all, lots still feel some of the withdrawal on Sub. Also, you should NOT be taking it on such a high dose... I started on 170mg of methadone and wanted to get off SO bad but I couldn't and that's just how it is. Most methadone clinics (which makes me think that Dr. you went to is a quack) will NOT NOT NOT give you sub unless you are on 30mg or less of methadone. There are many reasons for this. If you want to know more and/or want some advice or know what I would personally do, hit me up. I know it's the worst feeling on earth and i know you dont want to be on methadone but it's the worst of the three evils (opiates, methadone, + withdrawal). Sub is VERY funny in a lot of ways and i know methadone isn't great to be on but it's better than being a dope/oxy addict and there ARE ways to get off opiates nowadays that are a walk in the park compared to the life of an addict or going through withdrawal... you just have to go by the rules because it's worth it in the end and make sure to do it right (which is not what that dr seems to be doing or else you'd be feeling fine right now).
So goodluck and hang in there
-Rachel

Your doctor should have told you that you have to be off all narcotics for at LEAST 3 days before starting suboxone. Most drs. do a urine test to make sure that you don't have narcotics in your system, because if you take suboxone while you still have narcotics in your system, you can go through VERY severe withdrawal symptoms!! You were taking that much Oxy's Sat., Sun., and Mon., and then you took suboxone on Tues?? No wonder u got sick. Even if you've been on suboxone for months.....and u take a narcotic drug....it will instantly send u into w/drawals. Bad w/drawals!

I'm quite sure that you don't have to be off of all narcotics for at least 3 days before starting suboxone - I think you're confusing methadone with all narcotics. I know several different doctors that have administered suboxone to patients within 12 hours after the patients last dose of oxycodone. However, you should be off of methadone (not all narcotics) for at least three days before starting suboxone. That was my problem - I hadn't been off of methadone for three days - I had only been off of methadone for two days.

I'm preparing myself to start suboxone again, but I'm just waiting until I don't have anything to do for a few days so I can deal with the withdrawals. In the meantime, I've been taking only 30mg per day of methadone, and it's been fine. I haven't experienced any withdrawal symptoms as long as I've been taking the 30mg.

When I am ready to start the suboxone, I'm going to stop taking the methadone on Day 1, perhaps take some Oxycodone on Days 2 and 3 to remedy any withdrawal symptoms (Doctors that specialize in suboxone treatment give oxycodone to methadone patients to limit the withdrawals before starting them on suboxone), and then take the Suboxone for the first time on Day 4.

One thing I've noticed from reading dozens and dozens of different posts and experiences regarding methadone withdrawal and suboxone treatment is that everyone is different. Some people experience one thing, while other experience the complete opposite. It was worse for some than it was for others. I think the most important thing is to administer the drug correctly after doing as much research as possible. My mistake last week was that I didn't do enough research before starting on suboxone.

I'd sincerely appreciate the feedback and responses of anyone who has started suboxone after getting off of methadone. I need to hear all the experiences that I can.

Thank you,

Jeff
Atlanta, GA

Help! I have an apt with a sub doc tomorrow at 3
I took my last dose of Methadone on Friday at 12noon, been feeling pretty bad today...taking bunches of clonodine and ambien,,,so then around 2pm my brother in law said take one 10mg of meth you will be fine, I am so worried now I think I will go through bad withdrawls when I take my sub tomorrow....ok so I thought if I drank a bunch of OJ and grapefruit juice to help flush it out....will I be ok?
thanks please someone reply-Malloy

hey Jeff3783!
I went thru the same exact thing you did! They call that PRECIPITATED WITDRAWL! It's one all of the narcotics isn't out of you system/ or you take something while on suboxone it will throw you into this! Trust me I know first hand!
I was the same way you was: First I was suppose to go 2 days with nothing and I took methadone(just about 15mg 1st day and about 7.5mg next day)
Anyways, I picked up my 8mg suboxone from cvs and took my first pill! On the way home I noticed I wasn't feeling it, in fact I was feeling worse, so about an hour goes by and I'm in the WORST SHAPE of my life! I had like 6blankets/comforters on me and the heat cranked in 75 degree weather! My wife was panicing when she saw me like that..We called the Dr and he had told me what happend and if it didn't get any better that I was immediatly to go to ER! And that's where I ended up! I couldn't even walk much more drive myself to the clinic!
It took me about 70mg of methadone and a day to start to feel some better(ooh yeah sleeping meds too)!! I know thats a lot but at that point i didn't care and I'm not one to mix things like that~~~~
I'm living proof that you have to be DRUG FREE(not just m-done) for at least 48-72 hours or you will torture yourself!!!!!
common sense tells everyone that more pill syou take higher you get , but this is the only case that the less you take of suboxone when starting out is much better!
I plan on going back to suboxone after I get down to 20mg of methadone at the clinic I attend---I'm on 33 as of right now!
Good luck and let me know how it worked out the second time

tamber wrote:

I have been on Suboxone for over 2 years now.When I started the program my doctor told me to make sure I went 72 hours without taking any methadone or opiates.I did as he asked and went 3 days without taking anything,then when I showed up at his office that monday he gave me a 2mg tablet to place under my tongue then he checked my blood pressure and pulse and after 30 minutes I took another 2 mg tablet.I am trying to come off of the suboxone now,but it is very hard.I am still on 8mg a day.I tried weaning myself off of them a couple of weeks ago.I got down to 2 mg a day,but I could not sleep,I was sneezing all of the time and I had terrible diarreah,so I went back and got another prescription.I am ready to try to quit again I just don't know how to handle the not sleeping.I just hope the withdrawl does not last as long as methadone withdrawl does.

Hey everyone!
I am a recovering addict and have been on suboxone/subutex for over 2 years now. When I went to my first doctor he told me to be in at least 3 days withdrawl. He said that if I took any opiates in those 3 days prior to my suboxone appointment I had to tell him and we wouldn't be able to start the suboxone treatment until I was 3 days in withdrawl. I went in the first time and confessed to taking just one Percocet 10mg tablet on the 2nd day and he told me to come back after I haven't taken anything. So after a few shitty days I came back. He gave me a 2mg suboxone to put under my tongue. We waited about 30 minutes and he took my blood pressure. When everything was in the clear he instructed me to put another 2 mg tablet under my tongue. He again checked my blood pressure and everything was fine. He then wrote me a script for 1 1/2 8mg suboxone tablets a day. On the way to the pharmacy after I left the clinic I started feeling so much better. I wasn't high, and I wasn't in withdrawl, I was just...normal. After being on about 1000mg of oxycontin a day, normal wasn't something I had felt in a while. This medication has been like a Godsend for me. I felt better after just an hour and 4 mg of suboxone in my system. I know withdrawl sucks. In my opinion there is nothing worse in the world. Not even childbirth lol but 3 days of it is worth it to get your life back. In my opinion, just stop taking everything for a few days and go in immediatly and get the suboxone. Believe me, it's much better than Methadone or anything else. And I've tried it all so I would know lol. I hope this helps!
Abby

Trying4Truth wrote:

Jeff...
So goodluck and hang in there
-Rachel

idear rachel, if u still look at these replies please send me an email as i am too going thru hell coming moff methadone, i was on 120 mgs for 10 years and have weened myself down to 30 then 20 n now took 5t mgs this morning and just now had to take another 5mgs. i have a prescription here filled already with 8mg saboxin films. i took one two days ago n went thru sever withdrawels in a mater of 20 minutes. im really sick now but i no if took a savoxin now it will get worse, so if i can make until tomorrow or at least 18 more hours will it be safe to take a saboxin? ive been on it before in detox and it did work but then i was on short acting opiates, im so sick and kicking out, sweating and freezing n my legs and arms are killing me, what or how long shud i wait?

listen i was on methadone for 5 years at 102mg. i had to move 787 miles in the boonies with no car in a matter of three weeks. i came down alitle more then 5mgs a day( of course i felt like ish) then at 23 mlg i foolishly took a sub. and went into BADDDD withdrawels. then when i finally got down to 5 mgs i waited throu 54 hours of hell then took a quarter of a sub and felt great compered to before.This was today. my point is try to wait it out as long as posssible. I know its HARD but if u take a sub. to soon it will only make u worse...good luck!

Jeff3783 wrote:

- Jeff
Atlanta, GA

For 2 years i was going to a clinic taking 100mg of methadone a day. I was tired of having to depend on something everyday just to feel normal.I checked myself in at a inpatient facility for a week. It was the best decision i have made in a long time. My doctor told me the same....I had to wait 36-72 hours and once the symptomes were going then he put me on subutex for 1 day and after that 4mg of suboxone every 4 hours. I had withdraws for about one day consideringhow methadone is the worst. My advice is to lisson to the doctor and if you dont think you can do this on your own there are facilities where they give you medication to help with the withdraws and people to support you through this

After 25 years on methadone, I am down to 10mg and am to take my last dose on Sat to go into the cliniic 9am Monday for Sub and am to remain there for 4 hours ( 1hr for any bad reaction and the other 3 incase withdrawal needs meds. Some of these posts are pretty scary, but I am a lifer and at least I wont have to pick up 4 times a week and have the stigma of being on methadone. The sub is a weekly pick up here in Wanganui, NZ. I should be ok, you think? Your post was the most applicable to my situation. Thank you.

im on MSW 10 mgs every 3 days i started 170 mgs, im on 90 mgs i feel sick. i want to switch to suboxone, what can i do to start sub. without waiting to 30 mgs

Hi i have questions.

im going through the same thing right now, i was taking 100 mg of methadone everyday for a year and then i went down 10 mg a day till i hit 0 mg. i waited 48 hours and took a suboxen strip. it completely kicked my ass. so i have waited another 24 hours and will try it again. i did alot of research and realized 3-5 days methadone free is the right time to start taking suboxen i know it sucks but just remember theres a light at the end of the tunnel. way better than before