Hi, my very good friend had inured in car accident last month and he was in very serious condition. Fortunately he is getting well and I hope he will leave hospital in several days. When I visited him last time I have noticed that his eyes are making strange moves and when I asked him about it he told me that it was nystagmus. I would like to know something more about it and how dangerous it is.

Hi, nystagmus is symptom and it is not disease. It is manifested with rapid eye movement when person tries to focus his look on the left or right side of his visual field. Mainly it is produced by damages on cerebellum and there may be many different causes for such damage. The most usual causes are stroke, severe head injuries and tumors. It is the best way to consult doctor but as your friend is still in hospital I guess that they noticed this problem.