What are the most common causes of papilodema? Can it cause serious damages on eye? A friend of mine was diagnosed papilodema and he has been in hospital for about ten days. Please tell me more about this infection. I’d like to be better informed. Thanks.

Papiloedema may be caused by some parasites. Papiloedema is swelling behind the eye that causes double vision as a symptom. Blood vessels are constricted and a circulation in brain is affected. I think that it should be treated symptomatically and depending of causal agent. Blood thinners are indicated too and these are drugs that should be administered intravenously and monitored. Vision may be impaired in several weeks to up to year or two, depending on immunity of patient.

Hallo,
As much as I know this condition causes the optic disk to get swollen. I think that is doesn’t affect his vision if this is acute papilledema, and the development of the condition can take up to weeks, but in some cases the eye can get swollen in matter of hours. Do you know anything about his treatment? What are they giving him and did they say if his vision will be compromised? I think that there is an option of surgical care for this condition but they should try first with medications such as diuretics. Does he have any problem with weight or high blood pressure?

All the best to you,
Karen