My 13 y/o son has been diagnosed with syringomyleia –he started having frequent headaches accompanied with dizziness which has worsened over the past 5 months and those headaches are usually followed by blurred and double vision and lately he kind of have lost sensitivity and he has arms weakness. Anyway I first brought him to his pediatrician and for his severe headaches he scheduled my son for MRI yesterday and that is when he was diagnosed with syringomyelia and I understood that it is a condition affecting spinal cord but in my son's case it is something about some other congenital condition known as Chiari or something like that –I haven't remember it exactly for I was in shock first for this syringomyelia diagnose which I never heart of before and though we are scheduled for another medical appointment tomorrow I would like someone tells me some more details regarding this syringmyelia condition. Thanks!

Hi! my son also was diagnosed with syringomyelia few years ago-he is now 17 and is doing fine for he had some surgery where the shunt system was involved and anyway it looks like in your son's case syringomyelia is actually caused by the Chiari I malformations which is a condition occurring on the connecting spot of the brain and spinal cord and more precisely this condition is caused by the fact that cerebellum-which is the part of the brain- lies further down than usual and is entering the spinal canal and all this results in described symptoms for this way the brain is pressed causing severe headaches affecting the neck and low back of the head at first place. Anyway due to the described brain disorder it is very likely to develop syringomyelia –a condition caused by the downward position of the cerebellum which results in disrupted cerebrospinal fluid flow which in this case actually flows into the spinal cord forming a growing syring or spinal cord cyst and causing this way spinal nerve damages and therefore certain complications such as headache and dizziness but also arms weakness and walking trouble. So regarding the very serious possible complications that may occur due to this syringomyelia condition I advice your son has a surgery –my son for example had this shunt system inserted into the cavity so the cerebrospinal fluid is redirected out of the spinal cord and his symptoms are practically gone now though there are also different syringomyelia treatment opt and it also happens the surgery to fail so sometimes multiple surgeries are needed to fix this problem.