Hi. I need info about nystagmus. I would like to hear from somebody with experience what is nystagmus? What is the cause of that problem? What are the treatment options? All I know is nystagmus has something to do with the eyes.

Hi. Nystagmus is rapid involuntary rhythmic eye movement. When you have nystagmus, your eyes have a quick and slow phase. They move quickly in one direction, and then slowly in the other. This problem may occur in horizontal or vertical directions. Nystagmus is usually congenital. It is more frequent than acquired nystagmus. Congenital nystagmus is often mild. The affected individuals are usually not aware of their eye movements. Causes of congenital nystagmus include albinism, aniridia, optic nerve disease, latent nystagmus, bilateral optic nerve hypoplasia, etc. Causes of acquired nystagmus include loss of vision, central nervous system disorders, etc. Congenital nystagmus is considered non-treatable. However, in recent years some meds have been discovered. Acquired nystagmus is a temporary condition.