I have a friend who is already diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease. During this time, I spent so much time with him, because I know he needs me now. However, I have noticed it goes worse, and his disease is progressing. Now he complains about lack of eye blinking, so he visited his doctor again. He confirmed this and gave him therapy, so now I want to hear what you can tell me about this problem.

The lack of eye blinking often causes problems, especially with reading of Parkinson’s patients. Blinking is necessary to keep the front surface of the eye moist and to preserve the quality of the tear film that coats the cornea. I hope you know at least, that cornea is front surface of the eye. With inadequate blinking, the tears bead up on the cornea with dry spots in between these watery islands. The lack of eye blinking is a problem, because it cause discomfort and interfere with vision. Furthermore, without the windshield wiper-like motion of the eyelids, the quality of the tear film suffers. Oily debris builds up within the tear film, creating a dirty tear film if I could say it this way. As a result of these problems, along with the dryness of the eyes that often accompanies aging, people with Parkinson’s disease may have difficulty reading and seeing clearly in general. Preservative-free artificial tear eye drops, sold over the counter, can be used as a way of lubricating the eye and temporarily improving the quality of the tear film when this problem of eye blinking occurs. Different brands use different formulations, and no one brand can be recommended for everyone, so your friend should try different ones and see which one works best for him.