After few days of severe pain in upper abdomen, I visited my doctor. When I explained him that I had swollen and tender abdomen with sweating and rapid pulse, he was sure it is pancreitis. The reason I want to find out more about this disease is that was first time I’ve heard for it. I want to know what pancreitis is and what causes it.

Pancreitis is inflammation of the pancreas. That is large gland behind the stomach. Pancreas secrets insulin and digestive enzymes into a small intestine through the tube called pancreatic duct. The symptoms usually begin with severe pain in upper abdomen, as you felt. Some other symptoms are swollen and tender abdomen, sweating, nausea, vomiting, fever, mild jaundice and rapid pulse. There are two main types of pancreitis: acute and chronic. Acute pancreitis occurs suddenly and lasts for a short period of time. Some people may have more then one attack and recover completely after each. However, acute pancreitis may be a severe, life-threatening illness with many complications. Chronic pancreitis occurs over a long period of time and does not resolve itself. This results with a slow destruction of the pancreas. Acute pancreitis is usually caused by drinking too much alcohol or by gallstones. Chronic occurs when digestive enzymes attack and destroy the pancreas.

My sister has been diagnosed with pancreitis what can be done or what are the treatments necessary to help her out. She is a mother of six. The family is at a loss for words we're even wondering if we have her in the right hospital to handle such a disease. I have never heard the term before but with watching her in pain as she is and the fact she can't eat bothers me. Should be change hospital to a facility that is more equipped to handle this. Please you feedback is very helpful please help us

Having had this myself once and seeming that it is coming back again I feel very sorry for her. When i was in the hospital for it they had a IV in me and were pumping antibiotics in me. No food until what they were watching in the bloodwork dropped then it was a slow process back to letting me try this and that starting with water that tasted like it had been near food at one time. Demoral (pain killer), not sure on the spelling was my best friend while I was there. Sounds like they are doing the right treatment to me because if you eat while this is going on it just gets worse plus I have severe reflux as well. My gastrologist has mentioned a procedure that he is going to try next time I end up in there. where the bile duct goes into the stomach there is a ring of muscle around it that squezes the opening closed, they seem to thing that it is not working right, a spasm in it or something were it does not release like it should so it gets all aggitated. As far as food goes she will just have to wait and do what they say or this will be a even longer process so don't be sneaking any in in your pocket to her or you may add to the problem not meaning to.

kawilder

my dad was diagnosed with pancreitis and is a diabetic also with colon pulips, i need to know what is the best diet advice for him. starches raise his blood sugar and he can't eat veggies or fruits with shells such as corn peas and beans or fruits with a skin like cherries, grapes, ect..im having trouble finding foods that he can eat as of right now the only thing he eats that don't give him pains is jello and pudding please help.

I'v had Ulcerative Colitis since I was 5, now 29. Latest flare up also gave me Pancreitis. Juice vegetables: 3 carrots, 2 celery, hand full of spinich, 2/3 times a day. Remove all skin on all food. NO SUGAR! Bland foods, easy to digest: Bananas, baby food, teaspoon of cinnimon with cup of water, and slowly to one full teaspoon start taking tumeric powder with cup of water (healing agent). Do your research. Good Luck (controlled in 4 weeks)