Hello! My grandfather always used to drink a lot. When our grandmother died last summer he started to drink even more then before. We tried to talk to him and we wanted to go to the group therapy with him to help him overcome his problems but we had no success. When I visited him yesterday I found him in a terrible condition and I think he was having delusions. I took him to the hospital and he is still there. Could alcohol be a cause for delusions?

Hello! Delusions are often associated with schizophrenia but they can be caused by many various genetic and causal factors and in conditions such as Alzheimer’s disease, brain tumors, strokes and alcohol. Delusions can be caused by long term alcohol abuse and they may occur not only when a person is intoxicated but also when a person is withdrawing from a dependence on alcohol. Delusions are a common symptom of delirium tremens which can last several days when delusions are always terrifying and may produce violent behavior. Maybe your grandfather tried to withdraw from alcohol by himself which could be very dangerous and should not be done without medical supervision.