I went onto this site looking for information on Inverted Uterus and found many people were confused by the name. Inverted Uterus is when the uterus turns inside out - usually following the birth of the placenta in childbirth. It is a life threatening conditioning and has to be reverted immediately. Introverted uterus means slanted forwards as opposed to retroverted - slanting towards the back. Prolapsed uterus is when the uterus hangs into the vagina at varying lengths. I am surprised this has not been acknowledged through your column.

Please understand that an inverted uterus is a perfectly normal and safe anatomical issue. You are getting your terms muddled. Inverted uterus is basically where the uterus leans to the back rather than the front, in the same way as some people are left handed and some are right handed. IT IS NOT A MEDICAL EMERGENCY OR ANYTHING TO WORRY ABOUT!! Please do your research properly before scaring people, I think you are confused with the terms prolapsed and inverted. Inverted uterus is something people are born with and not caused by anything including childbirth.

Talk about getting your facts straight - all you have to do is search "inverted uterus" to find out that it is a medical emergency if it occurs following childbirth, and can result in a hysteroctomy or death of the mother if the bleeding is not controlled. I have survived this, with everthing intact. Please get your facts straight - this can be a very serious complication and is not a tilting of the uterus.

Guest wrote:

I, as another person replied, had an invert uterus. IT IS A LIFE THREATENING CONDITION! My uterus came out like a sock, as the doctor said. It was still attached to my placenta. I felt like I was having the air knocked out of me, and the nurse said, "you are OK, you just had a baby, and that was much more painful than this". I told her that I felt like the air was getting knocked out of me, and everyone's eyes got big. They put the O.R. on standby, rushed my baby out, many doctors and nurses came running in, crash cart was brought in, and next thing I knew, the doctors hand was moving inside my stomach up near my rib cage. I went into shock. I experienced post traumatic stress from this. So, yes this is serious, no it is not common. There is a condition called inverted uterus that is as you describe. But to have an inverted uterus DURING child birth, NOT born with it, BUT have it happen during DELIVERY OF THE PLACENTA.

I am so sorry for the ones who are not well informed about this subject, I myself gave birth three years ago and in return had to be rushed to the ER with a crash cart beside the whole way to the operating room because of an inverted uterus. I lost 9 pints of blood and it took my doctor along with 4 others to massage the fundus to try and get it to contract and build the musckles up, stayed in ICU for two weeks in critical condition and by the grace of God I made it and then was taken back to an actual regular room where I was finally able to hold my daughter for the first time, so for the above user, you have no idea what you are talking about when you say that it is in no way a medical emergency.....nice try, try again later!!!

Most of you ladies ARE in correct. That is not saying what happend to you didn't, but that you are using the wrong term. An INVERTED UTERUS is not life threatening. A simple google search shows what it is.

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

and

I do not know the correct term for what happened to you. I'm sure it was a very tramatic experience.

It's called an "e"verted uterus, or a uterus eversion, not "in"verted. It happened to me too & I was in intensive care for a week. My uterus came completely out with the placenta. I had a large baby (9 1/2 lbs) & the doctor said that the weight had something to do with it.

my doctor told me i had an inverted uterus and he said it was because i have had 3 children that my uterus was more facing my pubic bone than where its supposed to be.

Thank goodness for the truly well-informed. I too have an inverted uterus and it is NOT life-threatening. That is IN FACT an everted uterus or uterus eversion. You all will scare the hell out of someone if you don't research before posting erroneous information. I imagine any complications during or after childbirth could be life-threatening (retroverted, inverted or everted uterus included).