Hello! I have already posted this on another forum but have had no responses and not sure this is even the best forum to post. My situation is odd so I can not find a message board regarding this issue. Here is my story:
I really need some advice! Hopefully someone out in cyber land knows about this issue. For the past four years I have had serious issues with my nipples and infections. My nipples both started to invert in 03 and about two months later I had an engorged right breast and had to have emergency surgery to fix the problem. Well since then I have had three more surgeries (on both breast) and have now gotten fistulas in both breast. I am 36 and have never breast fed. After a year, I just got mastitis again in my left breast and had to go to emergency room to have it drained. BTW...I have had several biopsies and nothing came back positive. I am having a hard time getting answers as to why this is happening. Just last night as I was cleaning the wound, white spongy stuff was coming out of the hole and it really freaks me out! Its not just fluid like every other time. I thought at first the doc must have left gauze pad inside me and that might be what is causing infections. Well now I think it might be scar tissue. I have an appt tomorrow (Monday) with yet another breast surgeon to talk about this. I have never had problems with them in the past. I have gone to several different breast surgeons and they basically tell me I have to live with this problem forever! Now that is a little hard to believe. If they can separate Siamese Twins at the brain then someone out there can fix me!!! Right??!! Anyway I believe that the problem is with the inversion. Mastitis (what I believe) is caused mainly when breastfeeding an infant. A crack or tear in the nipple lets bacteria in and causes an infection. Well with nipple inversion, I believe bacteria is getting in and not having a way to escape therefore causing the infection. I believe nipple inversion surgery might be the answer but I can not get any doctor to agree with me. Insurance does not cover the cost of cosmetic surgery but in my case I am trying to get them to pay since this is basically the cause of all the other surgeries and issues I keep having. I am so confused and lost on where to go. I have spent all morning researching preventative mastectomies because I am so fed up that I sometime just want them gone and new ones put in their place!!!! I do have other women in my family who have had bc so my chances are probably pretty good. I would like to get a gene test to determine if I have the bc gene but again insurance does not pay. I am sorry this is so long but this is actually the short version! Please if anyone out there has any advice let me know. I would really appreciate it!!!
Thanks,
lost and confused:(

I am having possibly my third surgery due to what seems to be infection i believe caused by inverted nipple. I have taken the medicine (antibiotics),the Ultra sound never shows lumps though twice i have found them.Of course my dr will not agree that the infections are due to the inverted nipple. The Biopsy also never showed anything positive.

This time is different. I have found 2 lumps,green like substance from the insention was done in the past two surgeries.

If anyone knows of who to talk to about this matter or knows of any other information please contact me about this matter. I am scared this could be leading to cancer (denied as i said the first two times) or something my dr may not know about.

Any help will greatly be appreciated.

.

Hey,
My name is Nicole and I had my first child 14 months ago. I've head inverted nipples since birth, but I really wanted to breastfeed so I tried everything to make it work but nothing seemed to be helping. I decided to just pump my milk out and give it to her that way. After only two weeks of pumping I started to get mastitis. I continued to get mastitis 5 times over the course of 3 months. It was awful...I would go through a whole coarse of antibiotics and a few days after getting off them would get sick again. I did everything to try to prevent getting an infection including soaking my breast pump parts in bleach water in between uses and nothing worked. The doctors had NO idea why I kept getting mastitis so by the fifth time of getting it I had to make the decision to stop pumping so I wouldn't end up hospitalized or something from getting so sick. I am convinced that the inverted nipples were a big part of the problem and I agree that it seems logical that infection would have an easier time getting into your nipples when they are inverted. I am going to be having another baby in a couple months and I'm really hoping the same thing doesn't happen again...I'm thinking I might look into using an antibiotic cream on my nipples round the clock and see if that helps...like maybe neosporin or something? I don't know if that would work, but I would think it would be worth a try! I hope you get to feeling better soon...I can only imagine how frustrated you are on top of being miserable. Hopefully you can figure something out that works for you! Good luck!

I hear your pain. I'm perimenopausal and ever since my hormones started freaking out I've been having breast problems. I too have a severely inverted nipple and that is the breast I'm having problems with. Last August I had a particularly bad round of PMS and my boobs inflated like watermelons, they were very sore. That night my dogs were climbing around on my chest and I didn't think anything of it. The next morning I woke up with a hard, lumpy, palm sized bunch in my left breast. I went to the Dr.'s and they initially diagnosed me with Mastitis then sent me for a mammo and U/S. Turns out I had a cyst that was growing inside or near my milk duct and - I guess - my dogs stepping on it ruptured it. Because of its proximity to the duct and my nipple, bacteria got in and caused an abscess. Now I'm going through something similar though I haven't been to the Dr.'s. This morning I woke up with my nipple sticking to my bra because it had discharged some sticky, greenish (not pus-like, but more a thick serum, like from a blister you might have had for a few days before popping or the clear thick sticky fluid that comes to the surface of your skin when you scratch bug bites too much). Anyways, tonight I'm noticing that the lower edge of my inverted nipple is kind of red and it's throbbing/stabbing and is swollen out a bit.

I'm beginning to think that my inverted nipples are providing a breeding ground for bacteria as well. Oh, and I forgot to mention that both times this has happened has directly followed me cleaning out this inverted nipple. Maybe I'm opening up the skin or something. If you find out a correlation between inverted nipples and infection, let me know. And, if my Dr. gives me some info when I see her tomorrow, I'll let you know.

Hey yall! :)  my name is kendra, im 22 yrs old, just had sugery to remove an abscess in my left breast, under the nipple. I too also have inverted nipples, i believe it all began after cleaning inside of my inny (as i call it) with my finger nail. then all the sudden had bad nipple pain, then really bad nipple pain, a week later i finally went to the hostbital! It was soo bad, I was in the hostbtal 7 days.  Antibiotics did nothing for it. Finally went to sugery, and am sitting at home now. I have to pack the wound twice a day for 2 weeks, and hope it never comes back! But let me tell you it sucks!  I also believe our invered nipples are where this began, glad to know you all feel the same, just be careful to not touch them, i def. never will. I was cleaning them out alot, and trying to get them to come out one day, and had all this happen.... best bet is to leave our innys, in. :) best of luck girls.

Hi everyone,

I have been doing some research on the web, and it does seem that there is a link between infections and inverted nipples. My 15 year old daughter has had two bad bouts of mastitis in the past year. The first time I didn't think much of it, but now I'm beginning to wonder what might be causing mastitis in someone so young. Now, after researching it, I'm convinced it's my daughters inverted nipples. Their inverted state has not previously bothered either her or myself, but now i'm beginning to worry that it will make her suseptible to mastitis.

What I am now trying to research is whether corrective surgery would help prevent this suseptibility to infection, or not. Does anybody out there know? I think, from what I have read, the corrective surgery (not normally something I would consider) would mean she won't be able to breastfeed, but I have also read she won't be able to breatfeed with her inverted nipples anyway as they are "grade 3" ones. ( I'm guessing my mum must have had the same thing as I know she wasn't able to breastfeed, though she never discussed why that was).

So, in short, does anyone know whether inverted nipple corrective surgey will prevent further infections?

this happened to me too,and i think the nipple inversion is the cause.i was hospitalised a month ago with mastitus,i havent breastfed for 17 years,i am 46.my first nipple inverted 18 years ago and the second about 6 months later.i used to be able to pull the out and they would stay out for about 5-10 seconds,i stopped doing that and now i cant get them out at all.i mainly used to pull them out in the shower to clean them because i noticed a slight odour and a tiny bit of white muck on them,surely this must be because they are so far in bacteria form,i think because i couldnt pull them out bacteria got in and caused the mastitus.i live in australia and i think my healthcare should pay for my nipples to be corrected.i dont know how old your post is but it has confirmed my suspicions.mastitus is rare when not breastfeeding so its bloody obviose and were not even doctors.i was in hospital for 5 days on antibiotic drips etc.breast scans showed no cancers...why didnt they bother to find the cause...dickheads!!!

hi, i have had an inverted nipple since i was an adolescent.  no problems until now, at 35, I had an infection and it lead to surgeries with drainage and antibiotics.  I'm still dealing with my boob not being "right" again and am wondering if there is a fistula.  What ever happened with you MellieMel and are there any answers?

Oh boy do I feel your pain! I have had a breast abscess 5 times in my left breast. Two times I have had to have surgery to get rid of the bacteria in it. This is not a fun procedure - nothing like having your breast continously cut open. My left breast too has an inverted nipple. The other one is fine. I have spent the last two years going to doctors to get them to do something other than be reactive. I have another breast infection in the same breast again now. Soooo fed up. Hear what your saying...sometimes I just want this breast gone. They too have not acknowledged that it is because my nipple is inverted in this breast. What else could it be dummies? Also, I live in Boston, so if the doctors there can't figure it out, I feel helpless. So depressing. Back to the drawing board - will be seeing my doctor tomorrow again for another antibiotic, which by the way, has caused me other medical issues. Since I have been on antibiotics so many times, they have killed all the probiotics in my body, which are causing me to have other internal issues. Will keep you posted.

Many farmers feed their cows APV and honey that have mastitis! It works with humans too. Take 2 tps of honey 2 tps of APV in a glass of water. Take this three times a day with meals.  Honey and APV are both very acidic and will regulate your ph balance, If your ph balance is too alkaline it is open to infections and sicknesses. You could also rub honey and AVP on your nipples and breasts as well. 

What is APV? Thanks -

I'm 29 and my right nipple is inverted and I got mastitis after I cleaned it also and my boob was gigantic and I had surgery and after I was all healed up it came back a month later and so a second surgery to drain it and that was almost 3 years ago and my doc also refusEd to believe it was caused from my inverted nipple and I know for a fact that's what its from and now I've been trying to get my nipple to come out because it has inverted more I noticed and today I woke up with a hard lump in my breast just like before and a redness on my scar from my incision I know I have another infection and when I go to the doc I refuse to let a doc operate until I find a doc that agrees its the inversion that's the cause I'm so pist off I mean really no doc knows jack about this I'm also going to show him theses posts of all you that have been going through the same thing

I have had this same problem. 5 years ago my left breast did this (I Always had inverted nipples). drain once in office, didn't help. Antibiotics for 3 months. l One surgery and left breast, it is good. Now my right breast is doing it. tried to drain and couldn't in office. went in surgery and just drain. was good for about three weeks. now its back again going to the dr. in the morning they are doing surgery again and taking tissue out and I will have normal nipple like the other. I have a great dr.

Hi in 2000 I was diagnosed w/mastitis. Had developed an abscess, on the lower part of my rt breast. After treatment with antibiotics, I had to have major duct excision surgery. As a result of this surgery , my rt nipple became partially inverted. Well this January I had breast implants and at that time the Dr also did inverted nipple corrective surgery. I have been dealing with my breast being infected ever since.Mind you I still have an inverted nipple, which I'm so upset about. Well this week I'm set to have another minor sugical procedure. Dr is going to make incision and pack it so hopefully it will drain and heal from the inside out as opposed to the other way around. So in repsone... I don't think corrective surgery prevents further infections

I have been told that if you can manipulate the nipple so it is not inverted, and you Pierce it. This should stop the nipple from inverting. And the infections tend to stop. Again this is hearsay