Hi all mommies! I am a 36 years old future mom and I have just come home from hospital where I had my ultrasound done. The problem is that there was some calcium deposit on babies heart noticeable, and I am so worried that the baby may have a Down syndrome. I know it is even more possible considering I am 36, and this is my first child.

Hi there future mommy!!! I was 35 when I was pregnant with my 2nd daughter. There was also calcium deposit on the baby’s heart, and the baby was smaller that it was supposed to be. The doctors told me that this calcium deposit thing is quite common actually, and that I shouldn’t worry so much. So, the only thing I could do was keep my fingers crossed for my baby and think happy thoughts. My girl came out just fine, healthy and very big. I don’t know if this story helped or not, but I just wanted to let you know…take the worry out of your mind!!! I wish you all the luck in the world!!!

I am only 20 and my doctor found a calcium deposit today on my new baby girls' heart during an ultrasound. He told me that it isn't directly related to down syndrome. I guess a lot of women are told about this and only a few actually have a baby with down syndrome. I felt like they really didn't know much to tell me and I want to find out more and do what I can to relax.

I have just found out that there is a spot on my little one's heart as well. Has anyone heard anything about what else this could be? I'm only 27 and I declined all tests to know my chances. Had I known this, I would have had the extra blood work done. Does anyone know the chances of the baby having DS when a light spot on the heart is the only thing wrong?

HI, I am also a very young, 1st time mommy to be. I went for all the tests at 12 weeks, and came out with a very low probability of having a baby with any genetic defects, only 1 in about 14,000 chance. I went for my 18week ultrasound, and they saw a shadow on the baby's heart. I could go for further genetic counselling (eventually an amnio) but my doctor suggested that I relax, and if she was in my shoes, would just think happy thoughts and assume everything was fine - since I had such positive results. For everyone who didn't have these tests, my advice is to try and be positive, although I know this can be difficult. The overwhelming amount of babies are born healthy. I am going to hold on to this thought.

I AM 24 WEEKS AND THEY FOUND A SHADOW ON MY BABIES HEART AT 18 WEEKS AND NOW AT 24 WEEKS AND THEY ARE SENDING ME TO A HIGH RISK DOCTOR FOR THE BABY AND THEY ARE DOING ANOTHER U/S THAT CAN LOOK IN THE HEART BETTER TO SEE WHAT IT IS. I WOULDN'T JUST SIT THERE I WOULD ASK TO GO TO A HIGH RISK DOCTOR, I AM NOT FREAKING OUT EITHER I JUST WANT TO KNOW SO I CAN PREPARE MYSELF AND MY FAMILY I AM 32 YEARS OLD WITH 4 OTHER CHILDREN

Hello, I am a second time mom, 30 pregnant. About 2 months ago, they found a calcium deposit in my baby's heart and after further investigation I was told that it was nothing to be worried about. But how could I not? I was told that I did not need a second ultrasound as a follow up but I would like to have one just to calm my nerves. I understand that this may be a common thing but I keep thinking what if Im in that small percentage that this just might be something. I would just like to know for sure if two months later things have not changed and things are ok. I have been reading up on this and yes, it is quite common and things normally appear fine so for those of you who can take it smooth, please do.

I went rhough all the overwhelming feelings of hearing that you "might"have a DS baby. I felt horrible for so many reasons, fortunatelly my baby is very healthy. This is the way I udnerstood this situation. CAlcium deposits in hearts are very common in healthy babies, but more commonly found on DS babies. If you are young, healthy, and with no family history of DS, your chances of a sick baby are 1 in 360,000, if an ultrasound spots a deposit on your babies heart, the chances of it being DS are 1 in 300,000, so even thought your chances are bigger, they are still very rare.... After I heard this from the Geneticist (sp?), we decided not to get an amnio, the risks of causing something even worse (miscarriage) toa possibly healthy baby, were too high... and Thank GOD! my baby is healthy and very smart. I know its hard, I was never able to do it 100%, but try to get the idea out of your mind as much as possible and relax,,, GOOD LUCK!

Hello Everyone
When I was 22 weeks with my second son, I too was told about the calcium on the heart. Also the tech said that he was missing a bone in his fingers (two DS clues). I was so upset. I declined the bloodwork at 17 weeks because most of the time it gives a false pos. So my week of hell began. I had two follow-up ultrasounds, amnio, bloodwork. The good news started pouring in, everything looked great. And 18 weeks later my perfect son was born. Just goes to prove that ultrasounds are not perfect. Oh, and the missing bone....he just had his hand closed up...in a fist!! Hope this helps! :-)

they said my baby had a 1 in 15000 chance of having it because they only found a spot on its heart they also said they had to have more signs that was not foud before the risk of D.S was even a worry

I'm 26 years old and am pregnant with my second baby boy. I went for my first ultrasound last week and thought everthing went great until my dr called me to go over my ultrasound results. She said they found a tiny white spot on the baby's heart and want me to go to a perinatal clinic to get a level two ultrasound. Oh my was I worried. The dr said not to worry and it is very common since technology is so much better these days so the ultrasound machines pick up way more detail now. I went in today to get my level 2 and evertything else was perfect on my baby. The dr there said there's nothing to worry about it and everybody gets calcium deposits throughout their lives. It happens when your muscles are working too hard. They say that it is not a birth defect at all and there's no need for me to get that amnio test done. What a relief!

I want say thank you to all of the comments. I just got the news today that they found a calcium deposit on my little girls heart. I'm 17 week. I'm 36 and I've had 2 previous misscariages. The last one being at 16 weeks. I'm still a little nervous but at least I'm not alone now.

Thanks 8-|

Hi all, so my wife of a year is pregnant with our first child. We had an ultra sound today, my mom's birthday, and her birthday gift. Everything was going beautifuly-until the doc came in and said they found a spot on the heart....looked like a starburst. Our hearts sank...and we had no idea what to think, or do. There are no other signs whatsoever in either of our families, or pasts that would indicate a possible DS child. From what I am reading on here, a lot of you have ended up with healthy beautiful babies. We are going for our follow up next week, and I just truly hope all is well with us too!

Please help.... i am 27 going to be 28 by the time my son will be born they also found a Echogenic focus on the heart but they told me not to worry everything else came back normal.. i am due in November and i cant stop thinking about it im scared and i didn't get the amino they told me there was no need for it..

I am 34 years old and this is my 3rd babies. Ultrasound found Calcium deposit on heart and Cysts in the brain today during my 19 week visit. My 2nd baby had Cysts in the brain in the past, did the amnio test resulted normal, and all the Cysts were gone by the time she was born. My doctor said Calcium deposit on heart is the least they will concern out of 6 other signs. It's very common and about 10% of the pregnancy will get it, usually see it in Asian. Doctor said there is nothing to worry about, but it's my choice if i want to do Amnio test again. Since both Cysts and Calcium deposit can be a sign of DS, my husband and I decided to go for Amnio test soon. Another reason worry me is because my first cousin had 5-6 miscarriage and at least 3 times were because of DS (did not ask the reason for the rest of the miscarriages).