Hi everyone,

Just yesterday I got a phone call from my sister who is living on the other side of the ocean. She told me that she went to see her doctor about the pain she felt in her chest and that he told her that she should do a doppler scan in order to see if there is anything wrong with her heart. 

I don't know anything about this doppler scan, and I'm a bit scared because I don't know how serious could this be. It would be better if I knew what can this scan actually reveal.

So I'm here to ask you that, which heart problems can a doppler scan reveal?

Hey Alan,

As far as I know, the doppler scan can only find a single heart problem. A Doppler ultrasound uses sound waves to measure the speed and direction of blood flow. This test is usually done with echo to give a more complete picture of blood flow to the heart and lungs. Doctors often use Doppler ultrasound to help diagnose right-side heart failure.

Since her doctor only asked for a doppler scan, I believe that he is aiming on the right-sided heart failure. I think that this is not so dangerous, although heart problems are not something to play with. 

Hey Alan,

I believe that Health n Joy is right, doppler scan can only reveal right-side heart failure, which is actually caused by a left side heart failure.

Besides for finding out whether someone has a right-side heart failure or not, doppler ultrasound is almost always used on the pregnant women. It shows the condition of the baby, is it growing properly in her mum's belly and whether she has any sort of diseases as well.

With this scan, you can also notice some things other than a heart failure: blood clots, poorly functioning valves in your leg veins and blocked or bulging arteries.

Hello three of you.

Doppler can find do you have any heart problem or not. I am not sure is this a Doppler scan, but I know that echocardiogram is really good to find out do you have any heart problems. Well, this information my mom told me and she told me that an echocardiogram is an ultrasound scan of the heart. It is sometimes called an echo and that this ultrasound is a very high frequency sound that you cannot hear but it can be emitted and detected by some special machines. I hope that this is it.

If I am I wrong, let me know :)

Hey everyone. La Yl La, I think that you haven’t understand or read the question well. The question is which heart problems Doppler scan can reveal. I appreciate your answer, I think that we all do but you got it wrong :) But still maybe someone will find your answer helpful. Doppler scan is an amazing thing because it can scan or find and show do you have any heart failures. Once you find out that you have some of them, you can treat them on the proper way. It helped my sister to find out that. Doctors gave her therapy and thanks to this, she is fine.

Hey there guys, I am reading all your posts and I need to tell you that I agree with Adria 18. This Doppler scan is an amazing thing because it can determine the condition of your baby (if you are a pregnant lady). I remember that one my neighbor, Carla did this scan and unfortunately she found out that something is wrong with her baby. I didn’t ask so many question, but later she told me that she is very lucky lady because thanks to this scan her baby is ok now. I don’t know how but I am glad.

Hi everyone,

I believe that this scan, the doppler ultrasound, is most often used on pregnant ladies in order to monitor their baby's condition.

When it comes to heart problems which it could reveal, I think that it can't reveal more than a right sided heart failure. Similar to an echocardiogram, a Doppler ultrasound (or Doppler echocardiography) is a test in which very high frequency sound waves are bounced off your heart and blood vessels. The returning sound waves (echoes) are picked up and turned into pictures showing blood flow through the arteries or the heart itself. Doppler ultrasound testing allows doctors to clearly see how blood flows through the heart and blood vessels.

Good day everyone.

This is actually an ultrasound. And it is a very good thing that can help to determine heart troubles in your baby in the very early beginnings.

For example, it can determine if your baby has a heart murmur.

Also, it can determine the problems with feeding or even with the baby growth. Some heart defects place a lot of strain on the heart and it can cause baby’s heart to beat much faster or harder than normal. Also, it can show some breathing troubles.

I am sorry because I have focused on babies only…but it is good in this case, trust me.