Hello! For the last couple of weeks I have been experiencing bowel problems. I am having problems passing stool. Besides this, during this I also felt some irregular heartbeat. Is there a connection? Can my bowel problems be causing irregular heartbeats? Thank you for all the info!

Hi there! I somehow don’t see connection between bowel problems and irregular heart beats UNLESS you have used or abused some of the laxatives. Laxatives tend to cause irregular heartbeat, also muscle cramps, tremors, spasms. If you haven’t used laxatives and you continue to experience irregular heart beats then you should definitely see a cardiologist.

Hello. I see the connection between it. I know that my sister needed to find a proper atrial fibrillation treatment that was caused by irregular bowels. I also was not able to see a connection between it until a doctor told her that there is a huge chance that because of irregular bowel movements you can become very nervous and stressed which can indicate your health. I suggest you take a 500 g of magnesium each day in that case. Also, some medications that people use to regulate bowel movements can be bad for someone, so this can cause some health and heart issues as well. 

The stomach and heart ARE connected despite what all these wonderfully healthy clever docs tell you.
I'm even going towards suspecting that a lot of heart problems ARE infact mascarading stomach problems.
The body IS connected at every stage and the heart is close to the diaphram and also main atteries running throughout the body.
I osmetimes exp tightining of muscles and intestines and stomach walls whcih lead to heart palps and beat increases with low bp and hard thumping beats.
It is important to look out for these things - GLuten - bacterias that could leak from guts - i.e. pylori, which affects the heart untraceably - candida - anything that affects your insides after eating be weary of - keep a list and see what affects what - also look into the role of 5HTP in the gut and seek advice from a doctor about your serotone levels in the gut.

I definitely have this same experience. Part of my "fix" for atrial fibrillation is to have a bowel movement. About 85% of the time, it works. But cardiologists have just looked at me like I'm crazy, or shrugged.

When my daughter was 3 months old, she for some reason had a hard time with a bowel movement, since I breastfed constipation should not have been an issue. Anyway, she became blue around the eyes and I could not get her to respond. The ambulance was called. The physician admitted her and got on the phone with a pediatrician. The only thing they could think of, since there is a nerve that connects from your anus to your heart, that by her grunting it affected her heart rhythm. I cannot remember the term they used but they said that they usually see it in old people and have heard of old people actually dying while trying to have a bowel movement. So in short, I guess there is a nerve that connects from the anus to the heart.

I am over 60 now and have noticed over the last 40 years that often when i have had some palps for no apparent reason that within 5 minutes afterward i would have to go to the bathroom for a bowel movement. It was as if my heart got the signal just before i got the urge to go. I am pretty sure that for me at least that there is a nerve that makes a connection between the urge for a bowel movement and the regulation of the heartbeat.

I have had occasional short periods of irregular heartbeat for half a centuary now. It happens usually when faeces pass from the transverse colon to the descending colon on my left in times of stress. Faeces tend to move in clumps until it reaches the rectum where it consolidates. Stressful events tend to cause my large intestine to cramp and if there is bulk in them this bulk pushes against the heart chambers which may cause them to beat out of synch for a short time. This used to frighten me but not now.
This used to happen very often during strenous exercise but Beta Blockers cured the problem.

im the same

the reason i am googling this now is because i just woke up 1 hour ago.....have not had breakfast. just 5 minutes ago i sat down started eating noodles, within 7-8 minutes of eating noodles i suddenly had a heart flutter that lasted 2-3 seconds....it frightened me i thought i was having a heart attack (im 27). it stopped i continued eating. 10 minutes later i have been letting "gas" and feel a sudden urge to go to the toilet to have a bowel movement.

A nerve from the heart to the anus explains a lot about my irregular heartbeat.
Does anyone know what that nerve is used for?
My guess is that if an animal is attacked, a fast heart beats signals the body to take a dump for one of several reasons:
a) to make your self unappetizing
b) lighten the load so you can run faster
c) other

The nerve is the Vagus nerve.

bert wrote:

The nerve is the Vagus nerve.

I am having problems too, anyone solve this one is a expert!!
I think the Vagus nerve is causing this..I have continual flutters..and on the left hand side of my abdoman seems there is fluid as it gurgles when I breath deeply (I can make this do that)
when my heart skips a beat it gurgles very loud,its not ordinary degestive systom working there is something there.
My heart scan and ECG was clear,when I visit the toilet this can happen with flutters two or three times in 10 seconds.also when my stomach is off this can happen..Doc'sjust look at me and dont seem to take notice, Makes me feel rotten,can the vagus nerve do this?anyone with this problem???I doubt it.
Thanks
Di

There is a nerve than runs from the heart to the anus.  It is the Vagel(sp?) nerve.  I had a tachycardia episode (really fast heartbeat) almost 4 years ago, cardiac catheter ablation surgery to prevent episodes of irregular heartbeat (some folks elect to take Beta Blockers for the rest of their life), and was then told if I had a subsequent tachycardia episode to try bearing down...pushing as if you were having a bowel movement.  If you have palpitations, fluttering heartbeat, or similar feelings, you need to see a cardiologist.  My first episode was brought on by extreme stress and even now, I have occasional flutters at night.  My cardiologist says this is common and as long as they stop themselves, I am fine.  It's frightening at times but I am coping.  I hope my input helps someone seek proper medical treatment...ditch the docs with the funny looks!

I knew I would find someone else with this connection by googling it. I started having this fluttering feeling after almost a month of digestive issues that came on suddenly after I ate undercooked hamburger. The doctor had diagnosed my several years earlier with IBS, Could be a flare up, but the "fluttering feeling" I have only noticed when extremely consipated. I drink lots of water, fiber, but for some reason I am having a bad flare up, and the only time I noticed this fluttering before was when I had digestive issues years ago or if I eat to much sugar, or caffeine. I think there is a connection.Just had a physical previous to these symptoms and everything was fine than. There could be so many reasons, hormonal, peri menopause, diet, candida yeast. My doctor told me to take Miralax for the severe constipation. Hope the flutter goes away as I become more regular again.

I never thought anyone out there would be experiencing this other than me! @minnie4...Your post hit the nail right on the head! I am 52, and have been having this fluttering since the onset of menopause and the one constant is that I am also constipated! I asked my Dr if there is any connection and he told me yes, but he didn't have time to explain! I am at my wits end and have scheduled yet another ekg, I have also been put on beta blockers! Just know you aren't alone!