Hello! I had a boyfriend and we had good time together. The only thing he did wrong he didn't tell me that he had genital herpes. He said he was afraid of loosing me. Unfortunately we didn't always practice safer sex with condom since he wasn't aware how serious this infection could be. Our relationship failed and I end up alone and with genital herpes. I had therapy with acyclovir but I talked with my sister yesterday and she told me that she heard that acyclovir is not that effective for genital herpes. Is it true?

Hi! Acyclovir (brand name Zovirax) is one of three antiviral medicines used in treatment against herpes viruses. It is used for the treatment of initial and recurrent episodes of genital herpes as well. It successfully reduces duration of infection and lesion healing. It also noticed that formation of new lesion is significantly decreased. So, it is very effective for genital herpes. But, every patient is an individual case. It is very important that your doctor knows how frequent and sever your episodes are in order to choose the right dosage. Usually after one year your doctor and you have to talk about the need for continuation of the therapy. As you could see nothing is being done without consultation with the doctor.