Hello! Two days ago I got painful sore on my left eyelid and I went to see my doctor. He also discovered an inflammation of the cornea. After examination he said I had ocular herpes. I was really surprised since I never had any herpes infection. He told me it is nothing serious since the inflammation was not so strong and prescribed some eye drops and antiviral acyclovir ointment. I am not sure if this will help and I am thinking about using acyclovir orally for my eye condition. What should I do?

Hi! Many people don't know that they are infected by herpes virus; many of them are not informed that shingles or cold sores are also the result of the same virus. Acyclovir is one of the most common medicines used for treatment of herpes infections. I think that your doctor did the right thing since the eye drops and acyclovir ointment are usual therapy for ocular herpes. You should know that treatment options always depend on severity of patient's condition. Why shoot the mosquito with a canon? Also, when you take Acyclovir orally after few days when all symptoms are present I don't think it would improve your condition very much, since the best results are gained when taken before the visible symptoms occur.